Word help needed!

craigb

I recall a type of file that could be created that would help you create/mix by capturing/modeling the sound of a room.  It basically allowed you to mix in an untreated room by removing what the room sounded like normally thus making the room seem like a dead and treated room.  The files created were called something possibly starting with an "R" (resonance?).  I can't remember this (probably because I just woke up!  LOL!), or the process of how you used them.

I also seem to remember that these files could be used to get how a certain speaker, mic or instrument sounded as well?  Don't know...

I am guessing your remembering a free program? There are some that do it like IK's ARC (AUto Room Correction) or Sonix 

Checking with Gemi, it found this:

The undisputed champion of free room correction software is REW (Room EQ Wizard). It's a powerful tool that provides a deep dive into your room's acoustics.

Opens in a new window www.roomeqwizard.com

Room EQ Wizard software

Key features of REW:

Comprehensive measurement capabilities

Detailed analysis of frequency response, impulse response, and waterfall plots

Ability to generate EQ filters for various purposes

Flexibility to export filters for use with other software

However, REW requires a steeper learning curve compared to commercial options. It's more suited for users who enjoy tinkering with audio settings.

Other Free Options

While not as feature-rich as REW, these options might be worth considering:

Holm Impulse: Primarily for impulse response measurements but can be used for basic frequency response analysis.

RePhase: Focuses on phase correction and can be used in conjunction with REW for more advanced users.

Posted (edited)

Thanks!

Doing a search of my archives I ran into something called a SIR Impulse Response Processor too...

Topic came up when someone was trying to figure out how to mix without headphones in a weird shaped, untreated room.

Edited by craigb

I know this is not an answer, but take a look at IK Multimedia ARC Studio, I am quite impressed with the subtle but useful difference it's made since my dog insisted I move my studio into the lounge.   😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have used REW (Room EQ Wizard) to measure my room and then I applied EQ using my mixer to flatten the response. Mind you that this only works for a small area where you measure the response. It can make other areas in your room worse.  I just tried to measure where my head would be when mixing,

You also have to have a measurement microphone with a calibration file to have it be accurate.

Edited by reginaldStjohn
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

I know this is not an answer, but take a look at IK Multimedia ARC Studio, I am quite impressed with the subtle but useful difference it's made since my dog insisted I move my studio into the lounge.   😉 

Yes!  Thanks Wooks!  I had that one archived as well.

• Like 1