Reorganized my "mixdown" rack

Bapu

57 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

Nice rack. 

Pun intended.

On a serious note, what does the distressor do? I've never seen or heard of a unit like that.

It's a compressor. And a little more. It's touted as a LA2A and 1176 in one unit.

There are some good emulations out there. The native UAD version is available as well as Slate and some others I can't remember right now.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bapu said:

It's a compressor. And a little more. It's touted as a LA2A and 1176 in one unit.

There are some good emulations out there. The native UAD version is available as well as Slate and some others I can't remember right now.

There's so many to choose from in VST format that it gets difficult to decide. They don't all sound the same. In the end I landed on the one that came with the DAW I use. I think it was a reasonably priced add-on iirc. 

I always liked the one that comes with GR too, but it's too difficult to use wrapped up in the GR package.

There was a free one floating around for years that the internet forums raved about saying it was identical to the hardware. It sounded awful to me. Maybe I just don't like what they do and the one I ended up with was altered enough to where I did. 🤷‍♂️

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2024 at 7:07 AM, Shane_B. said:

There's so many to choose from in VST format that it gets difficult to decide. They don't all sound the same. In the end I landed on the one that came with the DAW I use. I think it was a reasonably priced add-on iirc. 

I always liked the one that comes with GR too, but it's too difficult to use wrapped up in the GR package.

There was a free one floating around for years that the internet forums raved about saying it was identical to the hardware. It sounded awful to me. Maybe I just don't like what they do and the one I ended up with was altered enough to where I did. 🤷‍♂️

Distressors shine best on real/live kick and snare in the aggressive genres. What instruments are you trying these VSTs on?

Edited by Bapu

17 hours ago, Bapu said:

Distressors shine best on real/live kick and snare in the aggressive genres. What instruments are you trying these VSTs on?

I've tried the LA2A and 1176 on electric DI guitar and bass, mic'd acoustic, vocals, sampled drums. I've never gotten in to recording live drums properly. At the time there weren't DAW's and I didnt have access to the hardware.

• Like 1