GeForce GT 730 Graphics card replacement

Hi All.  I've been running this box since 2016 and the graphics card has died on one side so I'm looking for suggestions to replace it.  Specs:

Power Supply = Corsair, Rmi Series, RM 850i, 850 watts

MB = Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 LGA 1150 w/ 16GB DDR3 ram

Processor = Intel Core i7-4790k LGA 1150

Graphics = Gigabyte GEFORCE GT 730, Nvidia GT 730/Rev 2.0, PCI 2.0x8/2GB DDR3/64 bit.  D-Sub/Dual-Link DVI-D/HDMI

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That MB will run a PCI 3.0 without issues (see the Expansion Slots section). Years ago, I got a STRIX GTX 970 to replace a dying GTX 580 in an old machine. Your PS should be fine with most cards, but check power consumption and design of them. NVIDIA owns the architecture, not the manufacturing design, so there are variations on cards by manufacturer due to this.... the 970 came in 3 major variants and one had cooling akin to a jet engine, which was why I went with the STRIX design at that time.

The 730 has a benchmark of 834 on the "High Mid Range" list, so if you scroll around on the "High End" listing you can find price points that suit your needs for a replacement (can search that page for "GTX" to get a feel for things), but the 9-series models might be the best bang-for-the-buck for you (and significant improvement in performance). Both the GTX 980 and GTX 970 have similar price points; but again check the design/specs of anything you consider to ensure it suits your needs.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 10:36 PM, mettelus said:

That MB will run a PCI 3.0 without issues (see the Expansion Slots section). Years ago, I got a STRIX GTX 970 to replace a dying GTX 580 in an old machine. Your PS should be fine with most cards, but check power consumption and design of them. NVIDIA owns the architecture, not the manufacturing design, so there are variations on cards by manufacturer due to this.... the 970 came in 3 major variants and one had cooling akin to a jet engine, which was why I went with the STRIX design at that time.

The 730 has a benchmark of 834 on the "High Mid Range" list, so if you scroll around on the "High End" listing you can find price points that suit your needs for a replacement (can search that page for "GTX" to get a feel for things), but the 9-series models might be the best bang-for-the-buck for you (and significant improvement in performance). Both the GTX 980 and GTX 970 have similar price points; but again check the design/specs of anything you consider to ensure it suits your needs.

Hi Mettelus.

Thanks again for your help.  I was able to find a used, (like new) 970 and with a little board modification, it's up and running!

Paul

• Like 2