Cakewalk recognizes interface but doesn't "hear" anything.

Yesterday I recorded some Piano arrangements. As I wanted to check the audio export of the last arrangement I could not hear anything. Cakewalk recorded without sound. So I wanted to record it once again but from this point on Cakewalk seems to hear nothing if I want to link my EPiano via my Behringer interface. It is recognized and the interface is also selected for recording in the preferences. But I don't see any audio level when I play a note and cakewalk doesn't seem to "hear" anything.  I changed nothing before. And I also don't think that it has to do something with the latest update. 

many times, having some details can more quickly result in getting things running.

for example, is your "epiano" using audio or MIDI when connecting to the "interface"? my guess would be you have the stereo audio output on your epiano connected to the interface, and the interface is connected via a USB cable to CW. you note that CW recognises the interface - good sign. are you using WASAPI shared or something else for the interface? is it selected in preferences? is it selected in the audio track you are recording to? have you "armed" the track to record?

Hello Glenn, I am really unknown to all that technical things. It could simply be the case that it's just a little thing and I'm just too stupid to recognise this little thing.  

I tested the MIDI. Then all ist just fine. So it is only about recording via audio. I connect my Epiano via y-cable for stereo recording (left+right input) to my Behringer u-phoria umc204hd interface. The Behringer is connected to Cakewalk via USB. One year ago or so I changed to MME (32 Bit) for recording. Because WASAPI an ASIO produced always dropouts or audio cracks. My interfave is selected as input for audio recording and also for MIDI recording, when connected to cakewalk. And yes it is selected in the audio track and it's also "armed" to start the record. 

you probably should do a lookup on your OS for optimisation so your system isn't running stuff that can cause the cracks and pops ?

sometimes it's as simple as turning off the network while you're doing stuff - making sure your apps are all off, no running discord server etc. ? gaming, etc can all make audio work tougher than it needs to be.

the MME is not a good thing  to run esp as the UMC204HD is a good interface (i'm running the UMC202HD at the moment on my laptop) via WASAPI shared (most times) or ASIO when i need to record audio. 

Hm I will look weather I can do some optimization. And yes I have a gaming laptop (Asus rog15). But I just bought it for having enough power to create music. I don't play games. MME was the only one which runs without any issues. I read already that it should not be as good as WASAPI or ASIO but it is the only way it works smoothly. 

likely you have a bunch of things running you should turn off. check the short list in the Task Manager "startup apps" tab and disable most of those. also, in your anti-virus - create exceptions for the Cakewalk.exe and your audio project folder so you're not scanning those while using it; and make sure you're not using things like cloud services on your file system which has the audio or other DAW related files actively running.

make sure your power settings are on high performance and, using device manager, turn off the "allow device to be turned off" settings on your disk drives and your USB interface. disable any RealTek audio drivers and services (removing them will only reinstall them...)

do a search for the OS top audio system optimizations as a guide for turning things off.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

5 hours ago, R. P. said:

And yes it is selected in the audio track and it's also "armed" to start the record.

Make sure:
1. The 1st 2 items in Preferences > Audio > Driver Settings are set to your interface.
2. The last item in Preferences > Audio > Sync and Caching is set to your interface.

When you set the Record Meter to full range (90 dB) is there meter activity when the track is armed and you play something?
(Arm track then right-click meter and set to 90dB)

5 hours ago, R. P. said:

WASAPI an ASIO produced always dropouts or audio cracks

ASIO is the best choice if possible. Try adjusting the Buffer size up & down in Preferences > Audio > Driver Settings > Mixing Latency.  Some interfaces work best at one particular setting.  FWIW, when my interface started crackling it needed a firmware update which fixed that and other issues it had since new.

There is even nothing to see if I set the record meter to full range. All preferences are right I think.

Everything is set correctly as I can overview it but there is just no audio seen in the record meter as if the sound from my Epiano is switched off but it is not. When I'm setting the volume of my Epiano to maximum I can see that it is even clipping in the Interface. So there is enough sound but Cakewalk seems to be deaf. Thats frustrating. 

It has to be one little setting that is wrong just one little click but I can't find out what it is. 

well, if nothing else, as it's an audio signal, you should hear it if you set your system to listen (without the DAW) to the interface and output it via another output like your device speakers or even the IO output...

Edited by Glenn Stanton

Have you tried it with ASIO as well as MME and WASAPI?

Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording > Driver Mode

Also make sure the UMC Control Panel volumes are up outside of CbB.

image.png.8e61b046c386d4a6372874e3d5035d8d.png

Edited by sjoens

16 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

well, if nothing else, as it's an audio signal, you should hear it if you set your system to listen (without the DAW) to the interface and output it via another output like your device speakers or even the IO output...

I could try to play a note via audacity. If so it is an issue concerning the signal transport via usb to laptop because when I'm trying to just play with headphones through the interface itself everything is fine

6 hours ago, sjoens said:

I checked the umc control panel. It's fine. 

ASIO doesn't work at all beacause cakewalk keeps telling me that it is not compatible with asio.

WASAPI shows no volume meter like MME but, and that's something new for me, it has nearly no latency between playing a note and the sound when I'm playing via MIDI. MME always has a bigger latancy even if I try to minimize it in the preferences. Thats anew plus for WASAPI, haha. 

8 hours ago, R. P. said:

ASIO doesn't work at all beacause cakewalk keeps telling me that it is not compatible with asio

Many computer sound chip manufacturers have released their own ASIO drivers which are not good. The ASIO driver supplied by Behringer (if this is one of their better units) will be compatible with Cakewalk and other DAW programs. I don't know the exact wording of that message because I have always used hardware made for recording to record and the ASIO drivers have always worked since Cakewalk began support for ASIO way back in the aughts.
Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest driver from the manufacturer's web site.

asiorecommended.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 3:39 AM, sjoens said:

I checked the umc control panel. It's fine. 

ASIO doesn't work at all beacause cakewalk keeps telling me that it is not compatible with asio.

WASAPI shows no volume meter like MME but, and that's something new for me, it has nearly no latency between playing a note and the sound when I'm playing via MIDI. MME always has a bigger latancy even if I try to minimize it in the preferences. Thats anew plus for WASAPI, haha. 

Thanks for all your advise and smart thoughts to help me but at this point it's to high for me. Say that I'm stupid but I don't know how or where to download and then install those latest ASIO drivers for the Behringer interface and my Laptop. I am happy that at least most times I manage to find the right folder if a vst instrument is not installed and ready to be played immediately in cakewalk. I really don't know much about the technical aspect of getting DAWs and equipment to work best together. For recording AUDIO only I had to change nothing...until now. I'm more just the pure musician, I suppose. 

5 hours ago, R. P. said:

I don't know how or where to download and then install those latest ASIO drivers for the Behringer interface and my Laptop.

Try this:  https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=0805-AAS

umc-drivers.thumb.jpg.4deecfae8acb0484846af739ee1a5319.jpg

Check your driver's version # in Device Manager.  If it's one of these ^^^, try the other one.

version.jpg.3d7b6ee84fdb3b3724908bd21e1d7357.jpg

Last resort:
1. Create a Restore Point
2. Remove everything Behringer from the system
3. Clean the registry of everything Behringer
4. Reboot the system
5. Install latest Windows updates
6. Install the latest UMC drivers (start with 4.59 and then 5.57 if the 1st one doesn't work)

FWIW... At one point a Windows 10 update nuked my built-in soundblaster ASIO driver so that CbB would crash when trying to open, simply because it was listed in the registry.  I never selected nor used it in CbB, but it was there in the list.  I had to remove it from registry for CbB to open.

A complete disk wipe and system reinstall including Windows updates restored it to normal behavior.

• Like 1