Identical tracks don't sound the same

jkoseattle

Question

Skipping the long preamble. I'll pick up where my project will not input or output audio, and I've given up trying to figure out why. So I created a new project and am painstakingly recreating every track with it's bus chain and FXs and everything. Though the original corrupted project does not play or export, I can access everything in the project as normal. I just can't play it or input Midi into it. Nuff said, moving on...

I have been comparing my new project with the mp3 reference I made of the original one before it got corrupted. Most of it sounds really close, so that's a relief, but some tracks are noticeably louder or quieter.  I haven't looked at all of the errant tracks yet, and it's likely that on some of them I just missed a setting. But I'm starting with this first track, which is a lot quieter in the new project. It was not bounced Midi; it was a live recording. I have double checked that the following things all match on the source and target tracks:

* Bus chain

* Track volume

* Bus volumes all the way up

* FX chain with all FX settings on all relevant busses

* Envelopes (there are none)

What am I missing that would cause the two tracks to sound so different?

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, jkoseattle said:

So I created a new project and am painstakingly recreating every track with it's bus chain and FXs and everything

Did you try dragging the potentially corrupted cwp file from the CbB browser into the new project? If that works it could save you a lot of time.

Not sure what you're suggesting exactly, but it sounds like one of those myriad CW features I don't know about. Would whatever it is you're describing cause it to create a whole new project with data from the old project, or is it just another way to open it?

It loads all of the accessible data into the new project. Tracks, busses, etc. Start a new project and drag drop that suspect cwp from the CbB browser onto the track view.

Edited by mettelus
Spell check changed "cwp" to "two"???

UPDATE: Part of the problem came from my reference mp3 routing through the Master Bus, which gave it a double dose of Master Bus effects. That cleared up a bunch, and more was cleared up by finding some bus envelopes I'd neglected, but this harmonica thing is still way too quiet. It's so weird. If I max it to +6.0 it's just about right.