[Solved] Serious Latency compensation bugs on busses

I've raised this issue in part in the feedback loop but no devs chimed in, so I'm hoping given the new forum that it might be more visible here!

I've created the following support requests;

Request #1738158 : Timing of MIDI events sent to plugins on busses is not correctly latency compensated
Request #1734819 : Time sync info provided to plugins on busses is not latency compensated
Request #1749864 : Timing of plugin automation events on busses is not correctly latency compensated

These are very concise & include simple example projects that clearly demonstrate the problem.
These bugs (present in latest Sonar & Cbb) cause large timing errors when using MIDI/song position sync/automation on busses.
These all appear to be closely related so hopefully the required fix will be common to all too.

As bugs go, to me this kind of bug is 2nd only to a bug causing the wrong notes to be played! :)

Hope one of the dev team sees this and comments!

Cheers

• Like 1

We tried the project you sent in to support and I don't see any timing issues playing it here. Notes a properly silenced when the MIDI gate is active and I only hear quarter notes. I even stacked 10 instances of Fabfilter Pro L2 which has high delay on track one and the output was perfectly synced.

I don't think the problem is what you think it is. The issue you are seeing may be something else since with the recipe you provided we cannot reproduce it.
I'll send you a PM and we can troubleshoot further.

Are you running Sonar? We're not updating Cbb for remote issues like this in any case.

I'm also experiencing several latency issues in the latest update. I'm just bringing the information to join users who are more hopeful that there will be a fix.

I already know, based on the development team's history of evaluation approaches, that NOTHING, NOTHING will be in the application, but in the user's structure, etc, etc, etc, etc.

But I will insist: yes, the latest version has several latency problems.

I don't have access to source codes and their implications, but the impression I have is that there is "a certain amount of sharing" between CDB and SONAR functionalities.

It's just an opinion and I have the question: how can I revert from the last version I had, excluding this one?

Im sorry there are no changes in the "latest version" that would account for what you are seeing. We know the exact set of changes that went in and nothing impacts latency. The issue the OP is reporting is not the same as what you are referring to so if you have a different issue make a fresh thread and provide a repro. 
The OP's issue isn't directly latency compensation related either. I should also add that if you have a problem with Sonar contact support and work with them. Staff don't actually do technical support in this forum - its a peer to peer user forum.

7 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Im sorry there are no changes in the "latest version" that would account for what you are seeing. We know the exact set of changes that went in and nothing impacts latency. The issue the OP is reporting is not the same as what you are referring to so if you have a different issue make a fresh thread and provide a repro. 
The OP's issue isn't directly latency compensation related either.

How can I return to the previous version of CDB?

Hi to all who might have an interest in this thread.  Just wanted to provide a quick update.

The fundamental issue was specifically related to Plugin Load Balancing being enabled & I'm happy to share that Noel has found & resolved the issue & the fix will be in the next Sonar release! :)

Cheers.

• Like 2

• Noel Borthwick changed the title to [Solved] Serious Latency compensation bugs on busses

Thanks for sharing a project to reproduce the issue. The problem has been around for awhile but was not noticed since likely not many people had the specific combination of factors. You have to be running projects with lots of delay and have plug-in load balancing enabled and have envelopes downstream or something that uses timestamp info.

This particular project had 10000 samples of delay. The actual problem was a simple time-stamping issue and unrelated to latency compensation, though latency certainly makes it more evident.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Thanks for sharing a project to reproduce the issue. The problem has been around for awhile but was not noticed since likely not many people had the specific combination of factors. You have to be running projects with lots of delay and have plug-in load balancing enabled and have envelopes downstream or something that uses timestamp info.

This particular project had 10000 samples of delay. The actual problem was a simple time-stamping issue and unrelated to latency compensation, though latency certainly makes it more evident.

It's great that a user was able to demonstrate what several of us have been reporting for some time about the problem that has become even more prominent in this latest version.

However, the solution presented is not entirely true, because even after unchecking the recommended option and with all plugins turned off, the problem persists for me.

If the team is interested, I'll send a recent project in which this is happening.

• Great Idea 2

What that means is you aren't encountering the same problem. The change were discussing here would be in a future release of sonar. The issue itself is not new and has existed since the origin of the load balancing feature.

Make sure you are trying it in Sonar and not cbb and if you have an issue that can be demonstrated make a project file and file an issue in a new thread please to avoid confusing this.

• Thanks 1