Routing Reverb - To Master or Out?

Stephen Power

Question

I'm just getting my head around routing reverb with sends. it's taken me two days to get as far as the image below, and it may not be perfect (or even correct), but seems to be working.

What I can't work out though is when the reverb terminates (i.e. does not go to another bus), where DOES it go?

For example, the Tin Whistle reverb goes to the Room VERB in the image. But, the Room Verb goes to Out 1 + Out 2 (Behringer AI), as does the Master Bus. But, should the Room reverb go to the Master bus, and then to Out1 + Out2.

Thanks for any help. Please bear in mind that this has taken a long time for this noob to work out (overall, probably months). So if it's workable, generally, please don't have me try and learn something completely different. :)

routing.png

13 answers to this question

some basic thoughts:

1) if an effect (FX) is used only for that instrument - most times you can just put it on that track (either in the FX bin or using the Pro Channel) as it's not being "shared".

2) if there are several instruments of a similar kind, those would benefit from being routed to an aux track and/or a buss. e.g. i have several acoustic guitars, or several percussion instruments - like a drum kit - those may benefit by routing those to an aux track or buss and then applying reverb there, or have a dedicated shared reverb buss you can send multiple instruments to.

3) route the instrument tracks and aux track and busses to the master buss. 

so:

track + eq + reverb ---> master buss & send to "room" reverb
track + eq + ...FX...   ---> master buss & send to "room" reverb

room reverb ---> master buss

master buss ---> IO output

you can also have drums with their own reverb as a set as well as say the snare having it's own (common)

track + eq + snare reverb ---> drum buss & send to "room" reverb & send to "drum reverb"
track + eq ---> drum buss & send to "room" reverb & send to "drum reverb"
track + eq ---> drum buss & send to "room" reverb & send to "drum reverb"

attached is a block diagram of my template which may be useful for you to study as well.

DAW template - 02 - mix.svg

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

All your buses should go to master

Thanks for that. I thought they automatically went to the Master bus, but they are going to Out1 + Out2, and the Master Bus had disappeared. I had to add it in. Not sure why that happened.

Only the MASTER should go to the interface. All the other busses should route to the MASTER. 
As time goes on you’ll probably want to create AUX tracks for your reverbs and delays. But, let’s get started and do the “advanced” stuff later..,

HTH,

t

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Only the MASTER should go to the interface. All the other busses should route to the MASTER. 
As time goes on you’ll probably want to create AUX tracks for your reverbs and delays. But, let’s get started and do the “advanced” stuff later..,

HTH,

t

Thank you. See my reply to @pwal³ regarding the Master Bus. It vanished (I don't know how) and so I created a new one. I assume that's why all the other were going to OUT? 

I did try setting up aux tracks, but 1) It was getting very crowded on the track view and console view, and 2) I couldn't 'control' them as easily. I'll keep studying.

Edited by Stephen Power

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

Track + eq + reverb ---> master buss & send to "room" reverb
track + eq + ...FX...   ---> master buss & send to "room" reverb

room reverb ---> master buss

master buss ---> IO output

you can also have drums with their own reverb as a set as well as say the snare having it's own (common)

track + eq + snare reverb ---> drum buss & send to "room" reverb & send to "drum reverb"

That's (mostly) very clear, thank you very much. Two questions please...

1. If I have more than one track of a similar instrument group (e.g. 3 whistles in the case of my image in the OP, or perhaps various strings), I assume it's OK to send all of those tracks to a bus with the same EQ and reverb?

2. In your explanation...Is the 'send' on the track module or on the Master bus module?

Edited by Stephen Power

1 minute ago, Glenn Stanton said:

typically yes, but each instrument track might also need it's own EQ (this is where the Pro Channel EQ comes in handy) so you might have a buss EQ to manage the overal group of instruments.

Thanks again. I had updated my previous reply as you were posting your answer. Could you have another look when you get the time, please?

the send would be on the track or on the shared instrument buss. having a send on a reverb which then returns to the same buss could invoke a "feedback" restriction on the routing ? 

couple of other points - on the shared buss/aux reverbs - mix = 100% wet, no dry. on a track, reverb (or other FX) use the mix control to blend as desired - typically 100% dry and some % of wet . e.g i may have my Breverb set to 0db dry and -9db wet on a horn track where i want the reverb to ring out slight as the note ends.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

the send would be on the track or on the shared instrument buss. having a send on a reverb which then returns to the same buss could invoke a "feedback" restriction on the routing ? 

Sorry, but would you indulge me one more time on this, please Glenn? If I need to put instrument reverbs through a room reverb (as I'm doing in my image in the OP), does this cause the issue you mentioned above?

I've got all the instrument reverbs being sent to the room reverb, which then goes into the Master. Should I be doing it another way?

Thanks again.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

When you use templates they automatically set the Master bus as the default, See screenshot. When you create your own master bus ypou need to check the box to set it as default. This video is pretty good at showing you a typical set up for using basic effects like reverb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMmwjdRjtow

Screenshot(227).png.39f4555fe2192eee928921bc7c8aed50.png

I'll have a look, thank you! I'll remember to check the box if I create my own Master. I'm still not sure why the template one vanished, though.

Edited by Stephen Power