The Secrets Of Pink Floyd’s Quadraphonic PA - Some Music History

Wow, a CCLarry sighting in the backwaters of the Cakewalk forums! ?

I still remember those "special" CD's and DVD's that came out as either Quadraphonic or 24-bit!  I wonder how many people had sound systems to even tell the difference?

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 10:01 AM, craigb said:

I still remember those "special" CD's and DVD's that came out as either Quadraphonic or 24-bit!  I wonder how many people had sound systems to even tell the difference?

Even for us audio geeks it was frustrating. Never a consistent format. Oh, and "24-bit" on most CDs was simply advertising, because that only meant it was mastered that way, but when tracked "down" to CD standard spec it could only 16-bit. And then again, it depended on the "standard" format they were trying to sell, and for anything beyond CD standard, they wanted you to buy their new multi-format player...

I actually got comfortable for a while, with DVD/Blu Ray audio remasters that contain many excellent quad (and other format) renditions in something that most people with a DVD/Blu Ray player and a basic 5.1 home stereo can enjoy, -if you like hearing those mixes, as of course I know some people are still happy with mono. I happen to like some of the Pink Floyd classics in the quad format, and the 5.1 mixes are almost invaluable. I recently got the 5.1 Blu Ray of "Animals", and it really seems well done.

But now of course, it's all changing again, Dolby Atmos is getting all the studios hyped to pull more money out of the old mixes, and some Atmos stuff you can't even buy on physical media at all, you have to subscribe online. It never ends. Ah well. -Not really any "secrets" to quad, or anything else, just another set of choices - if you can afford them!

• Like 1