Is a Brush Snare available in Cakewalk

Hi, I am working on a blues track which could benefit from a brush snare. Is there one easily available in Cakewalk using built-in or free plugins, VSts etc..

I am running Windows 11 and using Wasapi shared (Asio doesn't seem to work for me). I have read posts about TTS-1 but they also talk about TTS-1 crashing Cakewalk. It isn't so important to me to damage my working setup but if there is something easy (&free) I will give it a go.

Thanks Guys 

Roy , I've also read some posts about TTS troubles , but I've Never had one.  I'm using the brush kit right now on a song as I have many times. If you are worried about it , do a "save as" with a new name for your project and load the TTS kit in the new copy. If you have a problem it won't be on your present project ..       ms

The TTS-1 will crash but it seems it's only when added to a project at a later time. I've never had it crash if it was how I started a project. 

But just to make sure I often will freeze TTS-1 and bounce to clips. That's 100% safe I would think. 

Back in the Sonar days we had Session Drummer which is now part of Sonar. 

I recorded a real brush on a snare, trimmed it into a "sample" as a wave file and put it in Session drummers snare folder. I still have that. 

Or you can use any sample player I would guess. Sonar also now has one built in. 

You don't need a real snare drum, just the brush, use a cardboard box. Find a drummer and record there brushes to you cell phone. 

1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

Roy , I've also read some posts about TTS troubles , but I've Never had one.  I'm using the brush kit right now on a song as I have many times. If you are worried about it , do a "save as" with a new name for your project and load the TTS kit in the new copy. If you have a problem it won't be on your present project ..       ms

Thanks Mark, But where is this TTS-1?  I have often seen references to it but where do I find/add it to Cakewalk by bandlab.
I don't know anything about SONAR etc.  Only started with Cakewalk this year.

1 hour ago, Roy Slough said:

But where is this TTS-1?

What program are you using? We assume Cakewalk by Bandlab, latest version. That doesn't include TTS-1. If you downloaded any earlier version of CbB, that did include it, in which case you click the Insert button at the top, then Soft Synths>TTS-1.

22 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

What program are you using? We assume Cakewalk by Bandlab, latest version. That doesn't include TTS-1. If you downloaded any earlier version of CbB, that did include it, in which case you click the Insert button at the top, then Soft Synths>TTS-1.

Yes it is the latest Cakewalk version 2024.02 Build 098 (Almost the latest, there is a pop up for an upgrade but no item in the upgrade list applies to me = it is more about the app) hence I don't have TTS-1 built in (that's my understanding)

26 minutes ago, Roy Slough said:

Yes it is the latest Cakewalk version 2024.02 Build 098 (Almost the latest, there is a pop up for an upgrade but no item in the upgrade list applies to me = it is more about the app) hence I don't have TTS-1 built in (that's my understanding)

So, you never had any Cakewalk program before this one? Then that synth will not be available. There is a thread somewhere in these forums about other free or low-cost General MIDI soft synths that you can use...

15 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

So, you never had any Cakewalk program before this one? Then that synth will not be available. There is a thread somewhere in these forums about other free or low-cost General MIDI soft synths that you can use...

Thanks - I have other soft syths (ample Guitars, Keyzone Classic etc. in addition to the SI synths)
I am looking for something simple have as a brushed snare.  Lots of advice about samples, session drummer etc. but I don't want or need to go off on a huge tangent just for this.  I am happy programming Midi inside cakewalk using a drum map to split drums into seperate tracks - each having the same (or different) soft synth. I just need one of these to be a brushed snare drum.

• Like 1

+1 Don't over complicate things. You can work with and fire off samples probably quicker than finding an "instrument." There are free samples all over the internet. You can either MIDI fire them or construct audio groove clips for each song section (so you can drag the right edge out once you have a bar or two).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i mean you could just use the matrix and drop a brush snare sample on it. about 15 seconds of work.

image.png.eb3be7f84608fda48231c23425ffe626.png

Thanks Glenn, I had never looked at matrix view, I will investigate and play with it. It will be useful to trigger other samples also - not something I do much but I can see it's benefit

• Like 2