I am the Walrus - updated mix

Kevin Walsh

I did this cover about three or four years ago and every now and then I take another crack at. It's a deep song with lots of parts and I never fail to find something I missed. So here is my current iteration. Please feel free to hammer the arrangement, mix or master. I appreciate any feed back!

Update:  New mix

Edited by Kevin Walsh
  • Like 11

On 7/16/2024 at 11:18 AM, Kevin Walsh said:

I did this cover about three or four years ago and every now and then I take another crack at. It's a deep song with lots of parts and I never fail to find something I missed. So here is my current iteration. Please feel free to hammer the arrangement, mix or master. I appreciate any feed back!

First of all, your effort is remarkable, congratulations.

Personally, the arrangement seems to be reasonable but, I have seen some issues with the mix and the mastering:

- Clipping entire the song, "De-clip" to be needed,

-Harshness around 4000 Hz. and above,

-Only for the bass guitar not for the kick, some humming should be controlled.

Thanks for sharing, great stuff!

Edited by Alper Karamahmutoglu

Wow! Not the easiest Beatles' masterpiece (of many) to cover due to the complicated harmonies, perhaps the most complicated in this matter. Very well done! The only nitpicking I can think of is minor A-chord on the verse endings ("I'm crying" - on crying). I my ears the it should be a major A-chord unless it's a part of your interpretation of the song.  Splendid job otherwise, the outro is e g very clever. 

8 hours ago, Alper Karamahmutoglu said:

Thanks for the great feedback! I've done another mix that I hope takes care of the clipping. I think the noise was from my running the bass through a buss with a flanger on it. I took that off, let me know what your ears  think.

Thank you!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, equality said:

Wow! Not the easiest Beatles' masterpiece (of many) to cover due to the complicated harmonies, perhaps the most complicated in this matter. Very well done! The only nitpicking I can think of is minor A-chord on the verse endings ("I'm crying" - on crying). I my ears the it should be a major A-chord unless it's a part of your interpretation of the song.  Splendid job otherwise, the outro is e g very clever. 

Thanks, yeah, that Am weird thing I was doing drove me nuts but there were (and still are!) so many things to address in this cover that I kind of overlooked it. I took care of it, thank you for the feedback. I'm not sure, I might well have stolen the ending from one of the many covers online. It's been a while. I might have had a flash of inspiration and come up with it myself, but I doubt it. :)

Edited by Kevin Walsh
  • Like 1

Love this Beatles song. I had to have wore the record out, mom hollering at me not to play it again!!! :)

Great version. Your interpretation of it does the song spirit justice.

Excellent playing. 

Hearing your singing voice reminds me of Peter Gabriel. 

• Kevin Walsh changed the title to I am the Walrus - updated mix
2 hours ago, Grem said:

Love this Beatles song. I had to have wore the record out, mom hollering at me not to play it again!!! :)

Great version. Your interpretation of it does the song spirit justice.

Excellent playing. 

Hearing your singing voice reminds me of Peter Gabriel. 

Thank you for the kind feedback! I also wore out the record, the stereo and everyone in my family's last nerve. Like many people I'm not a fan of my voice and it's hard to stay the hand that wants to tweek and alter, so its amazing to hear nice things  about it from folks, especially since I pray every night to wake up with a Devine Lie Master of the Universe voice. :)

1 hour ago, Kevin Walsh said:

to wake up with a Devine Lie Master of the Universe voice.

Nigel finds some great voices for sure!!

2 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

I'm not a fan of my voice

Yeah I am the same way. I don't like my voice.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 9:18 PM, Kevin Walsh said:

Thanks for the great feedback! I've done another mix that I hope takes care of the clipping. I think the noise was from my running the bass through a buss with a flanger on it. I took that off, let me know what your ears  think.

Thank you!

Hello Kevin,

Of course, it sounds good than before, although it is not very important, yet some harshness still existed (4kHz. and above frequencies) and some toms seem to be a bit explosive. I guess it would be better if those things were corrected.  Thanks to you, we relived the Beatles sound, those were the days...

Have a nice day!

Edited by Alper Karamahmutoglu
  • Like 1

That was one hell of a production ! As soon as the guitars started , I was taken back to a living room of a girlfriends house. Hypnotized and staring at the needle moving on the album.   Time warp ..    Fantastic guitar work and vocals.        Enjoyed it ..

mark

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alper Karamahmutoglu said:

Hello Kevin,

Of course, it sounds good than before, although it is not very important, yet some harshness still existed (4kHz. and above frequencies) and some toms seem to be a bit explosive. I hope it would be better if those things were corrected.  Thanks to you, we relived the Beatles sound, those were the days...

Have a nice day!

Thank you, Alper! I'll post another mix soo, I'm grateful for your feedback!

11 hours ago, mark skinner said:

That was one hell of a production ! As soon as the guitars started , I was taken back to a living room of a girlfriends house. Hypnotized and staring at the needle moving on the album.   Time warp ..    Fantastic guitar work and vocals.        Enjoyed it ..

mark

Thank you, mark, very grateful you chimed in, and really pleased that you like it!

7 hours ago, Bapu said:

Great job Kevin.

Personal preferences:
Raise the vox by 1-1.5db
Right side rhythm guitar might be a tad loud.

Thanks for listening, I'm grateful for the critical feedback!