Several New Instrument and Plugin Updates no longer work as VST3s

11 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

It looks like either your MODO BASS 2 install has not worked, or you failed to do a VST Scan after updating.

The correct location for the latest MODO BASS 2 should be:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\MODO BASS 2.vst3\Contents\x86_64-win\MODO BASS 2.vst3

Also, make sure you're running the very latest version of CbB / Sonar - earlier versions do not correctly recognise the new VST3 standard of having .vst3 in the directory name.

And just checked: the location you specified is exactly where it is installed. Tried rescanning but it doesn't work. When I examine it in Plug-in manager, it does indicate it thinks it's in the incorrect location that the error message throws up. 

Edited by Ricardo Belled

Just now, Ricardo Belled said:

Again, it works fine in Ableton, in Gig Performer, stand-alone, I rescanned VSTs in Cakewalk, no go.

All I can say is, it's working here.

Are you definitely running the latest version of Cakewalk with the newest VST scanner?

The error message would indicate it's looking for the VST in the wrong place - which was exactly the issue that the latest VST scanner fixes.

FYI - the latest version of Cakewalk is 2024.07 build 108.

You can check if you've got the latest version of VstScan.exe, by right clicking on it and choosing properties. The Details tab on the properties dialog will show you the version:

image.png.54c4696e86b953736513db680cc78b15.png

7 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

All I can say is, it's working here.

Are you definitely running the latest version of Cakewalk with the newest VST scanner?

The error message would indicate it's looking for the VST in the wrong place - which was exactly the issue that the latest VST scanner fixes.

FYI - the latest version of Cakewalk is 2024.07 build 108.

You can check if you've got the latest version of VstScan.exe, by right clicking on it and choosing properties. The Details tab on the properties dialog will show you the version:

image.png.54c4696e86b953736513db680cc78b15.png

OK. now we're getting somewhere. The Cakewalk IS the newest version, but the VST Scanner seems older than what you're showing.

Just now, Ricardo Belled said:

OK. now we're getting somewhere. The Cakewalk IS the newest version, but the VST Scanner seems older than what you're showing.

What version is it showing?

17 minutes ago, Ricardo Belled said:

image.thumb.png.630037871e594e5d470263cc6b28a009.png

ok - it should say 6.0.7.0  , and the date should be 11th July 2024 (ignore my version number - it's one that was built locally).

I've asked the guys to double check the installers.

VstScan.zip

You can download and try this Vst scanner. Unzip and copy it to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities, and then rescan the plugin.
We'd planned to drop this update but it didn't make it into the CbB codebase.

For clarity, were not making any bug fixes to CbB since the last year and a half. Only a small amount of critical maintenance fixes will go into CbB. 

If you want regular fixes like this one (which was released to Sonar users in Feb) you have to purchase Sonar membership. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

VstScan.zip 301.84 kB · 0 downloads

You can download and try this Vst scanner. Unzip and copy it to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities, and then rescan the plugin.

For clarity, were not making any bug fixes to CbB since the last year and a half. Only a small amount of critical maintenance fixes will go into CbB. 

If you want regular fixes like this one (which was released to Sonar users in Feb) you have to purchase Sonar membership. 

I tried to download it, but I keep getting a virus message.

1 hour ago, Ricardo Belled said:

And just checked: the location you specified is exactly where it is installed. Tried rescanning but it doesn't work. When I examine it in Plug-in manager, it does indicate it thinks it's in the incorrect location that the error message throws up. 

FWIW, my Modo Bass 2 works just fine, but it is not in that exact location: 

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\MODO BASS 2.vst3\Contents\x86_64-win\MODO BASS 2.vst3

Mine is here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\MODO BASS 2.vst3

. . . not sure what those 2 extra folders at the end may be ?

48 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

VstScan.zip 301.84 kB · 7 downloads

Thank you!

I wish you'd sell a permanent license.... ?

• After reverting MODO BASS 2 (to Version 2.0.2 from Version 2.0.3), back (to Version 2.0.3), and then checking some things, I found:
    • Version 2.0.3 uses a different folder/file arrangement
    • CbB did not automatically detect the change 
      • Might be a problem for some people, not others depending on personal VSTScan choices/options
      • I do manual scans as needed
    • Doing a Rescan with "Rescan Failed Plugins" selected allowed CbB to (appropriately enough) rescan and find Version 2.0.3.
Edited by User 905133
deleted unnecessary sentences

5 hours ago, User 905133 said:
  • After reverting MODO BASS 2 (to Version 2.0.2 from Version 2.0.3), back (to Version 2.0.3), and then checking some things, I found:
    • Version 2.0.3 uses a different folder/file arrangement
    • CbB did not automatically detect the change 
      • Might be a problem for some people, not others depending on personal VSTScan choices/options
      • I do manual scans as needed
    • Doing a Rescan with "Rescan Failed Plugins" selected allowed CbB to (appropriately enough) rescan and find Version 2.0.3.

Rescanning didn't work, using the updated VST scanner did the trick!

• Like 1

On 7/15/2024 at 11:18 PM, noynekker said:

Likewise . . . I've never been able to run the Fab Filter Pro Q3 VST3 . . . instantly crashes Cakewalk, and has for many years, over many Cakewalk versions. I reached out for some forum help, and it turns out I'm the only one who had the problem, and I was never able to fix it . . . so I just use the VST2 version of Fab Filter Pro Q3. 

(VST3 version runs just fine in my other DAW)

Hope you get it sorted ! . . . the only advice I ever got was to re-install, but that never changed anything for me . . . hope it does for you.

I am running Q3 VST3 here no problem