Several New Instrument and Plugin Updates no longer work as VST3s

Recently I've had a spate of software updates from various customers and several of them now will not work as VST 3s.  If I simply remove the .dll file from Common Files/VST3 the VST 2 versions load and operate fine.  I'm thinking this is a Cake issue.  Am I wrong??  Any solution on the horizon??

Likewise . . . I've never been able to run the Fab Filter Pro Q3 VST3 . . . instantly crashes Cakewalk, and has for many years, over many Cakewalk versions. I reached out for some forum help, and it turns out I'm the only one who had the problem, and I was never able to fix it . . . so I just use the VST2 version of Fab Filter Pro Q3. 

(VST3 version runs just fine in my other DAW)

Hope you get it sorted ! . . . the only advice I ever got was to re-install, but that never changed anything for me . . . hope it does for you.

Hey pwal, ol pal.

HUH? The VST 2s are in the Cakewalk/VST folder and the VST 3s are in the Common Files/VST folder as they should be...but the VST 3 plugs give error messages when trying to load into Cake.  If I remove the VST 3 .dll files so Cake won't see them the VST 2 versions load fine and work fine.  I think it's because those plugins have been updated "past" Cake on the VST 3 protocols.  Just a guess.

Or am I not understanding?

You probably meant; delete the .vst3 file

VST2 = .DLL

VST3 = .VST3

I prefer to use vst2 version of plugins. Even though I have no specific cases to prove it, but vst2 seems to be more stable on my system (Win 1607, offline PC, no updates to windows, running minimal services).

several plugins have had issues when the directory has a .vst3 extension (which is the Steinberg spec) so when that happens i remove the .vst3 extension from the folder and sometimes that corrects it. lately some VST3 plugins (like the BBC Discovery) does not work in Sonar or Cakewalk, so i remove the .vst3 extension on the DLL (in the subfolder) and replace it with "x". this "rems" out the DLL and thus de-lists it from the plugin scan (which you need to run) and also allows you to restore it without too much trouble should the vendor provide an update.

as far as folders - one is just like another. so, if you have VST2 in the VST3 folder -- the plugin scanner does not care -- however, for keeping your stuff organized, it's recommended you follow the commonly used paths:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTPlugins (good for VST2 plugins)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 (good for VST3 plugins ? )
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins (some plugins default here)

some others include similar names in the Program Files (x86) for 32-bit plugins
and sometimes the plug will install into the C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 folder

14 hours ago, Steve Patrick said:

Recently I've had a spate of software updates from various customers and several of them now will not work as VST 3s.  If I simply remove the .dll file from Common Files/VST3 the VST 2 versions load and operate fine.  I'm thinking this is a Cake issue.  Am I wrong??  Any solution on the horizon??

DLL files are not VST3 plugins. If these DLL files are plugins, then they will be VST2 versions. VST3 plugins have a VST3 extension.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Steve Patrick said:

Need more information before we can offer a solution. Most obvious is are you running Sonar or Cbb?

What is the specific issue -crash or other problem. If it's a crash send a dump file.

12 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

several plugins have had issues when the directory has a .vst3 extension (which is the Steinberg spec) so when that happens i remove the .vst3 extension from the folder and sometimes that corrects it. lately some VST3 plugins (like the BBC Discovery) does not work in Sonar or Cakewalk, so i remove the .vst3 extension on the DLL (in the subfolder) and replace it with "x". this "rems" out the DLL and thus de-lists it from the plugin scan (which you need to run) and also allows you to restore it without too much trouble should the vendor provide an update.

as far as folders - one is just like another. so, if you have VST2 in the VST3 folder -- the plugin scanner does not care -- however, for keeping your stuff organized, it's recommended you follow the commonly used paths:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTPlugins (good for VST2 plugins)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 (good for VST3 plugins ? )
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins (some plugins default here)

some others include similar names in the Program Files (x86) for 32-bit plugins
and sometimes the plug will install into the C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 folder

This directory issue was fixed awhile back in Sonar. Maybe even in CbB I don't remember...

14 hours ago, noynekker said:

Likewise . . . I've never been able to run the Fab Filter Pro Q3 VST3 . . . instantly crashes Cakewalk, and has for many years, over many Cakewalk versions. I reached out for some forum help, and it turns out I'm the only one who had the problem, and I was never able to fix it . . . so I just use the VST2 version of Fab Filter Pro Q3. 

(VST3 version runs just fine in my other DAW)

Hope you get it sorted ! . . . the only advice I ever got was to re-install, but that never changed anything for me . . . hope it does for you.

Have you sent a crash dump?

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Have you sent a crash dump?

@Noel Borthwick . . . I was just going to send you a crash dump, but was finally able to fix this issue (after five years) using WinDbg and some information in this thread . . . big THANKS to everyone here !

(Turned out to be a duplicate VST3 filename which was created after installing AutoMap software, for my Keyboard Controller)

I don't believe this issue is just with Cakewalk. I've experienced a problem with VST3 plugins not loading, or working incorrectly, in Studio One and Bitwig. The VST2 plugins don't load. I have to move the VST3 out of the Common Files folder, and then the VST2 version will load and work correctly. So far it's effecting Fabfilter and Native Instruments plugs.

On 7/16/2024 at 4:32 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Need more information before we can offer a solution. Most obvious is are you running Sonar or Cbb?

What is the specific issue -crash or other problem. If it's a crash send a dump file.

Hey Noel,

I'm still on CBB and all of a sudden I can't use IK Multimedia MODOBASS 2 as VST3. It's properly installed, works fine Stand-Alone and in Gig Performer, but Cakewalk throws up an error on loading.

17 hours ago, Resonant Serpent said:

I don't believe this issue is just with Cakewalk. I've experienced a problem with VST3 plugins not loading, or working incorrectly, in Studio One and Bitwig. The VST2 plugins don't load. I have to move the VST3 out of the Common Files folder, and then the VST2 version will load and work correctly. So far it's effecting Fabfilter and Native Instruments plugs.

With regards to Studio One, I haven't had any issues at all, no problems with my Native Instruments plugs, I only have Komplete Standard 14, and haven't had issue with any of my other plugs. Can't speak to Cakewalk/Sonar as I haven't used them since 2015, and I use Studio One exclusively so I can't speak to any other DAWs. Would be interested in hearing any other plugs you have this issue with in Studio One, I don't use Fabfilter.

23 hours ago, Resonant Serpent said:

I have to move the VST3 out of the Common Files folder, and then the VST2 version will load and work correctly.

That is likely due to some hosts automatically using the VST3 if both are available on your system. Sonar has an option for this.

I do my own housekeeping: if a plug-in installer automatically installs both VST3 and VST2 versions, I delete the VST2 DLL's. If only the VST2 version works properly (as with Acon Multiply), I keep the VST2 and delete the VST3's dynamic linking library (.VST3 file).

18 hours ago, Ricardo Belled said:

...Cakewalk throws up an error on loading.

Lol, nothing is more frustrating to a software support person than conversations like this:

"I got an error message"

"What did it say?"

"I don't remember"

Error messages don't exist just to annoy users. They are supposed to convey information that will at a minimum identify the general type of error that occurred.

Sure, such messages often mean nothing to the user. But they do mean something to the people who can help you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Lol, nothing is more frustrating to a software support person than conversations like this:

"I got an error message"

"What did it say?"

"I don't remember"

Error messages don't exist just to annoy users. They are supposed to convey information that will at a minimum identify the general type of error that occurred.

Sure, such messages often mean nothing to the user. But they do mean something to the people who can help you.

OK smart *****, I figured since it was already known there were problems with VST3 plugs and I wasn't at my machine with MODOBASS installed I'd just chime in, but attached a screenshot of the error. (And again: MODO BASS 2 works fine on the same machine in any other DAW)

image.png.11372e7ebf6982f584751908c5661b34.png

Edited by Ricardo Belled

4 minutes ago, Ricardo Belled said:

OK smart *****, I figured since it was already known there were problems with VST3 plugs and I wasn't at my machine with MODOBASS installed I'd just chime in, but attached a screenshot of the error. (And again: MODO BASS 2 works fine on the same machine in any other DAW)

image.png.11372e7ebf6982f584751908c5661b34.png

It looks like either your MODO BASS 2 install has not worked, or you failed to do a VST Scan after updating.

The correct location for the latest MODO BASS 2 should be:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\MODO BASS 2.vst3\Contents\x86_64-win\MODO BASS 2.vst3

Also, make sure you're running the very latest version of CbB / Sonar - earlier versions do not correctly recognise the new VST3 standard of having .vst3 in the directory name.

Just now, msmcleod said:

It looks like either your MODO BASS 2 install has not worked, or you failed to do a VST Scan after updating.

The correct location for the latest MODO BASS 2 should be:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\MODO BASS 2.vst3\Contents\x86_64-win\MODO BASS 2.vst3

Also, make sure you're running the very latest version of CbB / Sonar - earlier versions do not correctly recognise the new VST3 standard of having .vst3 in the directory name.

Again, it works fine in Ableton, in Gig Performer, stand-alone, I rescanned VSTs in Cakewalk, no go.