Most Memorable Concerts?

15 hours ago, Grem said:

Saw the Floyd in Baton Rouge at the LSU Assembly Center (now known as the Pete Maravich Assembly Center). Great show.

My best friend and I had tickets. We both were working the day of the show until 6pm. Our plan was to get cleaned up and have our girlfriends pick us up in the car and take off straight from work. Well on the way the car started overheating. It got so bad we had to stop and we determined that the car needed water. We were in the middle of nowhere so we pulled over and dumped our coke cans out to fill them with water out of the ditch.  My buddy and I was frantic!! Was we really going to miss the Floyd!!?

The two girls were pretty non-chalant about the situation and couldn't understand why we were so uptight. They reasoned just slow down and we will make it. So what if we missed the concert. Who in the hell was Pink Floyd anyway!! My buddy and I, told them in no uncertain terms, if they didn't start helping they wouldn't be riding!! 

We made the concert and was the most memorable concert I ever went to. They played all of Animals, WYWH, and a lot of DSOTM for encore, with a break in between each. The girls couldn't believe how great the concert was. They couldn't stop talking about it for a long time after.

The original Floyd never came back to this area.

Was that the tour from late '77 to '78? That tour stop in Milwaukee at the old County Stadium was the only time I saw PF live. Superb! Made all the better by the windowpane taken on arrival!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John Maar said:

Wow! A seamless segue to Chad & Jeremy. I'm IMPRESSED!

We have a Chad & Jeromy where I work. They're not musicians and thus might just be the wort concert I'll ever hear.

6 minutes ago, Bapu said:

We have a Chad & Jeromy where I work. They're not musicians and thus might just be the wort concert I'll ever hear.

Come to think of it, somewhere around 2011 we saw Chad and Jeremy at small church venue where (at different times) we saw Venice (once) and Eric Bibb (twice). 

None of those were most memorable but certainly notable.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, bitflipper said:

They had ELEVEN albums? Here I considered myself a fan, but had no idea they had been so prolific.

Actually more than that!  I love the Discogs site for going nerd deep into bands.  Here's their page on Colosseum:  https://www.discogs.com/artist/97325-Colosseum

I've got:

• Valentyne Suite (2 discs)
  • Those Who Are About To Die Salute You
  • Grass Is Greener
  • Daughter Of Time
  • Collectors
  • Electric Savage
  • Bread & Circuses
  • Reunion Concerts 1994
  • Tomorrow's Blues
  • Live
  • Live05 (2 discs)

However, this is one of those bands where I got a bunch of their albums to "one day" be able to listen a lot (which I guess is now - lol!) ?

Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a Completionist and tend to try and buy all of the albums a band makes...  However, I discovered a neat little trick many years ago where I would occasionally go into a large music store, find the manager and ask if I could get a discount if I bought several CD's.  Often you could tell that they didn't take me too seriously and put out $5 or $6 off if I bought ten clearly assuming that I wouldn't.  Usually, I left with 100!  One obvious drawback to this approach is that I never really got into each album like you would if you bought one or two (I've never really cared much about whatever artwork or info came with the songs either).  I will say, there's been more than one band that someone mentions and I have where I began listening and really liked their stuff then was very happy that I didn't have to impatiently wait for years for them to put out their next album (yes, Boston!  I'm looking at you!).

Eventually, I had disk arrays where I would import each CD into (a long story for another time).  Yes, I will confess that I have grabbed some off of one bittorrent feed or another but, at last count, I've also spent over $40k throughout my life buying music!  Heck, there's almost always music playing in the background every day for me so it was a priority (and I was making a ton as a programmer when I was younger).  Kids now-a-days will never appreciate just how hard it was to even hear the bands you like or just a single song!  I still remember calling up the radio station and pestering them to play something...

Now, almost all of the music I buy are albums made by friends or others I've met online that I like and want to support (including a few that have posted here).

*Wanders off to continue listening to Colosseum...* ?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bitflipper said:

They had ELEVEN albums? Here I considered myself a fan, but had no idea they had been so prolific.

According to Wiki, they have more than 11* live albums.

*I didn't actually count them when I was there, but it was a lot!

BTW - If you like to track covers in CbB (Sonar, etc.) and also use the Notes/File Stats tab as a view option for info, lyrics, what have you, using Discogs listings pics for your project is a fun way to keep the original content source in mind. And in the past few years, I found most of the graphic icons they use are almost perfect for the optimal view in the notes graphic icon import in CbB.  Just use a search for the artist, album, single, and pull the (usually) jpg files right from the results page.

You might even find those graphics useful if you collect & organize your audio references, etc. @craigb perhaps you already have a system for that with your collecting? If not, Discogs works great (at least currently) as a quick source for graphics too.

Now, I wish I could find some of the concert program handouts I had gotten over the years, or even scanned copies from a reliable source.  -But perhaps now I am also really too far in the completionist arena with that idea - doh!

• Like 1

I rarely care about the graphics, but I can recommend Media Monkey for managing large collections!  iTunes is useless after a few thousand tracks, but I have over 380,000 songs now (including a lot of DJ mixes that can be one to four hours long!) and Media Monkey handles it well!

Edited by craigb
  • Like 2

Most memorable concert, eh?  Well, one time I went to a Milli Vanilli concert...  :) Granted, I wanted to see some of the other artists there, and I was a kid, but I still remember how they danced and jumped around while singing perfectly.  I didn't know anything about mixing or engineering at that time, but it was obvious they weren't singing all of it.

FYI, if you aren't aware, they are infamous for not even singing on their album!  The producer ripped off some songs from other countries (IIRC), got singers for it but didn't like how they looked so hired some dancers to pretend to be the artist.  They had three #1 hits and won a Grammy for Best New Artist.  They bragged about being more talented than Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney and Mick Jaggar, that they're the new Elvis.  But there was a concert where their CD started skipping during a concert and they ran off stage.  It was a big deal.  They had their Grammy revoked, and people were mad.  Record labels actually bought back CDs and cassettes for $4 or so.

I actually listened to some of their album recently just to see how it held up.  There were some catchy beats and sounds, and the remixes were neat, but the singing wasn't that good and the lyrics were dumb (even for bubblegum pop music standards).  At the time I was a kid and didn't know much about music yet, but looking back, it's hard to see how they got so popular.  Yet they sold over 50 million albums by some counts.

Of course, that wasn't the best concert, and not even the most memorable, but it was a memorable one, even if not for the right reasons.  Thought it might make an amusing story.

• Like 1

Peter Frampton before Come's Alive, actual tour for that album though. We were 12 and 13 and in a band, there to see Brownsville Station, Some cat named Peter something, Lynard Skynard and Black Sabbath.

Pete blew them all away around 6:00pm while the sun was still up at Orange Show Stadium in Southern California. 

White Marshalls, White Leslies - never fails.

Later that year or the next Come's Alive came out and everybody knew his name.

• Like 3

Started my gig-going in the early 70's. Lots of King Crimson throughout that time and others like Colloseum (ended up being taught by John Hiseman for a year at Goldsmiths college),  All the Mahavishnu Orchestra Uk  dates in the 70s. The debut of Thin Lizzy. And the launch gigs of Roxy Music. Got completely high just breathing the air at Wembley with Hawkwind, Man, Pink Fairies and others.

Most outstanding one was Wembley 75. On the bill - Elton John, The Beach Boys, Eagles, Joe Walsh, Rufus feat Chaka Khan, Stackridge. (the Beach Boys blew everyone off the stage). Then discovered the amazing live music scene in the pubs across London and the shock of seeing so many "names " sitting in with friends. Eg Phil Collins in a south london pub playing drums with an avant-garde jazz outfit.

• Like 1

Just too young to (be allowed to!) do those 1987 gigs.  Mind you, it was Leeds...LSD and 2 Es after all.  I loved that era (1987-1993ish) - and you listed 2 of my son's favourite songs too (I am deeply pleased he has good taste in music at the tender age of 8).

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

sorry you couldn't make it, i saw hawkwind many many times around then

I started seeing them in '89/90 - and saw them a *lot* after that.  I remember (well, half-remember) the 12 and 24 hour shows at the Brixton Academy, staggering out at dawn and somehow making it to Victoria to get a train.  Just wish I'd been a couple of years older - I'd have been blown away by the Black Sword tour, I'm sure.  I did manage to play gigs with quite a few (ex) members in the early 2000s, which was - for me anyway - really cool, and I do have one of Alan Davey's old basses sitting next to me as I type this ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

i was there, you may have seen me napping in the corridor haha

That narrows it down to about 95% of the punters!