Audio Sounds Different Outside of Cakewalk

Darion

Question

In the process of mastering a song, I've noticed that the audio sounds a bit different when it's played live in Cakewalk then when it does outside of the program. If I play the song outside of Cakewalk through Media Player or Youtube for example, it sounds a bit cleaner and bassier whereas in Cakewalk the midrange pops out a lot more. I thought this may have been the result of exporting from Cakewalk and something to do with my bit depth but no. This difference is noticeable before the audio is even modified by Cakewalk. I think it might be something to do with the playback settings in Cakewalk but not sure about any of that technical stuff. Any explanations?

6 answers to this question

Usually this is due to audio "enhancements" in WMP and other players. 

Realistically, every system sounds different, although not always so different as to be noticeable.

Bounce your song down to a single stereo track in your project and solo it. Does it sound the same? 

Export it then import it into the same project and solo it. Does it sound the same?

Of course, I assume you use a Master bus to run all your audio tracks through, and set your bounced/imported audio to that same Master.

In WMP especially, turn off all the included effects and compare the results.

It would just so happen that I figured it out right before you posted your reply. But you were correct! It  had to do with an issue outside of Cakewalk; the setting "Audio Enhancements" in my computer's main audio settings was set to "Device Default Effects" instead of "Off" which was the culprit for the change in tone. All I had to do was turn it  off. Cakewalk must have some way of bypassing it because after turning off the setting, everything outside of Cakewalk began to have the same tone and sound. Thanks for your reply though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darion said:

Cakewalk must have some way of bypassing it because after turning off the setting, everything outside of Cakewalk began to have the same tone and sound.

ASIO does that.   ASIO bypasses a lot of the Windows audio subsytem - including any components responsible for “Windows Audio Enhancements”.  So, if you are using ASIO in any DAW, lot of the Windows audio subsytem is bypassed.

Think of ASIO as a batphone to your audio interface....

• Like 1

Judging by what the OP said they are using the computers audio system for everything including Cakewalk.  They most certainly don’t want to use ASIO in this case. They would’ve using WASAPI. 
If you use WASAPI exclusive it by passes Windows audio and therefore better performance but then you can’t have Cakewalk open if you use other audio apps. 

So then you use WASAPI shared.  I’ve never tested that if in shared mode  the  sound enhancements are involved when using Cakewalk because I have always disabled them. Probably depends on the computers audio system.  

• Like 1