Help! Some projects take a long time to close.

Has anyone run into the problem where some projects take a long time to close? I've pulled up 'Task Manager' during a few of these slow-close events and noticed that the  'Memory' associated with Sonar takes a long time to purge. It's not until this memory has purged that Sonar finally finishes the closing of the project. The more memory that is used for a project, the longer it takes to close. In the meantime, I get this message from Sonar: The application is not responding. It may respond again if you wait. I usually just wait until it finally closes.

Any suggestions on how to improve project closing time and memory purge?

This is most likely due to plugins freeing up their memory before closing - like you say, the more memory that is being used, the longer this will take.

VSTi's such as Kontakt have a "purge" option to remove all samples - you could try using this before closing. 

You could also try setting sample based synthesisers to load samples on demand and/or limit the amount of memory they can use for samples.  Not only will this speed up the closing of projects, it may also speed up project load.

The only downside is possible delays in loading the samples on first playback (unless you have very fast RAM / SSD), but it is only on first playback - subsequent plays should be fine.

• Like 1

Thanks, msmcleod. I am aware of the sample "purge" options you mentioned. I will explore (and use) them more thoroughly in some of the VSTis I use. I use many Spitfire Audio orchestral samples and I know that some of these are massive. I've got plenty of RAM to load/unload since I have 128GB - lol.

I'm a paid user of Sonar and I must say that I'm enjoying using it so far. Thanks for all your work!

35 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I noticed  this happened when Sonar was crashed. It would crash but I couldn’t re open it. I would find it in Task manager way down the list. I would have to reboot computer to kill. 

Could "taskkill /im Cakewalk.exe /F" save a reboot?   (or replace "Cakewalk.exe" for  whatever exe has hung)

I originally was having the crashing issue and submitted the reports. Support recommended a clean install. Since then only crashes were related to experimenting with the Cakewalk Exchange files between Next and Sonar. I submitted those and they are looking into that.  
But both Sonar and Next hang up on crashing for me.  

also - depending on the number of file handles open - content, audio, separations, and including the directories as well as any cloud services which may have locks while they replicate to the cloud can also result in longer times to release the memory. i remember a few years back that people who enable always open all devices could run into situations where many files (most not used) would be created, leading to long start up and shutdown.

On 7/11/2024 at 3:02 PM, Scott Mallard said:

Has anyone run into the problem where some projects take a long time to close? I've pulled up 'Task Manager' during a few of these slow-close events and noticed that the  'Memory' associated with Sonar takes a long time to purge. It's not until this memory has purged that Sonar finally finishes the closing of the project. The more memory that is used for a project, the longer it takes to close. In the meantime, I get this message from Sonar: The application is not responding. It may respond again if you wait. I usually just wait until it finally closes.

Any suggestions on how to improve project closing time and memory purge?

If you have a reproducible case send the project file and also capture a dump file from task manager while it appears hung.
That may show what operation is taking long.