Woodwinds / Flute Sample or MIDI based re-harmonizer plugin. Does it exist?

Hi Folks.

For a long time I was searching for a phrase based plugin that could deliver something like EZ keys, but for woodwinds / flutes. I am not interested in audio loop packs that have fixed key or phrases that have little flexibility.  The thing I am looking for has to re-harmonize phrasing based on midi chord track, similar to EZ-keys, U-jam, NI session guitars, Band in a Box or hardware arrangers. There are Bases, Piano, Guitars, Strings, but seems almost nothing as far as woodwinds. 

There only three wind "phrase based" plugins that I found that would do auto re-harmonization based on chord track:  some items by Kirk Hunter, Action Woodwinds and Sonokinetic.

While these three sound great, they are mainly for Classical / Cinematic music. I am looking for something usable for Pop, Rock,  Pop jazz, and similar genres. My keyboard skills are very rudimental. I just can't record something that would sound decent enough. Mainly looking for phrases for rhythm parts, licks, accents. Nothing extraordinary, but so they are played as a musician of that instrument would.  I have enough "sounds", and while I am aware of MIDI limitations+Winds,  MIDI only plugin would work too.

P.S. Those who know Band In a Box... Their Real Tracks are the best example what I am looking for, I have them all. While they have a good selection of brass, woodwinds and flutes have very little presence.

Would appreciate any meaningful input.

Thank you!

Something to consider is to use what you already have and use Melda's MCharacter on the result. A flute is an open-ended pipe so the harmonic series is restricted. MCharacter allows you to surgically adjust harmonics (and flute is one of the presets you can trial with it if so inclined). Basically use EZ Keys to output a piano and then MCharacter on that output. Try to keep that output dry though, add processing after MCharacter. There is a free trial if not already used, so worth a shot to see if it suits your needs, then wait for it to go on sale.

mettelus,

I kind of get what you are saying... But Piano->Flute conversion usually sounds very cheesy.  Of course if there are MIDI packs made specifically for winds that could be used with EZ-keys, that would be another story and it would solve my request. However, I could not find any commercial/pro played flute&winds MIDI loop packs. 

depends on what you want the flute performance to be - Ian Anderson? Claire Wickes? when i need a flute performance, i'd tried a couple of different routes - one is to take a BIAB lead guitar or sax solo and convert to MIDI and then run though the MIDI VI for flute and likely will add some harmonics and saturation and reverb (short to simulate more resonance). another thought might be the new EZK Organ which has a lot of phrasing and slides and such in a "rocking" performance and then convert to MIDI etc. (not sure the organ "flute setting" would work ? but maybe running the MIDI through a Mellotron flute would also achieve something good).

Glenn, thank you for your time!

I specifically didn't want to mention BIAB approach for two reasons. Likely many people here are unaware of BIAB abilities and  #2 is... I have used this method of extracting BIAB's  MIDI notation and revoicing  to winds myself. They have a decent library for some wind/brass stuff, but mostly are soloist, not rhythm based. If I had a single example to give from BIAB, it would be their Electro flutes (Super Midi track). Their Irish whistle Real tracks are phenomenal, but a bit too ethnic.

EZK Organ... Thank you!! Will definitely look into it. 

So strange that in decades nobody took the liberty of creating a decent non-classical / non-cinematic  commercial MIDI package(s) for winds.  

P.S. Yeah, I am a big fan of mr. Anderson, but things I am looking for are much simpler :)

• Like 1