Vocal mic with good pop filter

Dave Gelzleichter

I am considering getting a new vocal mic for live shows. If I do, it would have to be a super cardioid mic ,with a good pop filter. I can't over stress the pop filter aspect. At 67 I still have a very powerful voice. Currently I'm using a Blue  en-core 100, with a pop filter I made from modifying a foam windscreen. It works great but I don't like the looks of it. Also I was getting a bit of feedback last night.

I only do a few gigs a year. Out doors at a local Bar. So I would have to stay under $500, and would love to stay under $300. I would love to hear suggestions if you have used anything that might work.

I don't care if its dynamic, or condenser.

Thanks Dave G

Seems to me that you should pick whatever mic you like and then get a wind/pop filter to fit it.  There are literally hundreds of pop filters to choose from.

If its to avoid pop and plosives from your voice then I would get one that clips on your mic stand like

image.png.1bfa326dcf548743609dcab07973f1eb.png

If you want one to protect from wind as well then something like this.

image.png.a132fb0a8bb3c5b99138305ac0c950fa.png

For live is there a reason not to use an SM58? Cheap, durable and no pop filter should be required at all (more adjusting standoff distance as needed). Dynamics fall off dramatically with distance, so background noise is far less concern with them.

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies.

reginaldStjohn I have a couple of those pop filters in the studio, but don't want a 6 inch disc in front of me on stage.

mettelus and bats brew, I had a sm58 I bought in the 80s that worked great. In 2014 it went with a PA system I donated to our local fire department. After that I started using a 58 my son bought around 2009. This 58 did not stop pops very well at all. The  en-core 100 works better but still not what I'd like.

Thanks again, I might just keep using what I have.

Yes the Beta 58 is the most common mike on stage. You can eat it and it won’t feedback. And it most certainly takes very loud vocals no problem.  
A plain SM 58 is fine but if you plug both in and switch back and forth there’s a very noticeable difference in sound. 
If you are having trouble with plosives roll off below 150 hz. 
Even the cheap mixers have a hi pass filter. 

Edited by John Vere

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John. Last week I made a pop filter for my SM58. It works very well. The test will be Thursday, if it's not raining. I use a Model 12 for live shows. It has a 100Hz filter, but I think the filter doesn't come before the A-D converter, so pops would show up in the recording. I record all my gigs in case I have a good performance. I have always had the 100HZ filter on.

I would be happy to elaborate on the construction of the filter if there's any interest. 

epoxy.thumb.jpg.38853b5ea22a3c588b978e7a5fe20235.jpg

I picked up 4, SM58 grills from amazon. They are woven identical to the original, but with thinner wire. So they are not as strong as the Shure grills.

I filled in with epoxy just below the red line. Then I cut the wires at the blue line, on both sides of the grill. This is for air to escape.Withcuts.thumb.jpg.de06227470ab1e42b71c7233e7975484.jpg

I snipped the vertical wires, and removed the horizontal wires. Using a dremel tool, cut the lower half of the grill off.Insidefilter.thumb.jpg.da44269fce6ac979af3ea89a2f266b57.jpg

Trimmed the foam to only cover the top of the grill.

With the grill in place, bent the cut off wires, to hold it in place.

Finally I attached the pop filter to the top of another grill. And it looks like this.MicWfilter.thumb.jpg.4dbf59dbeb833853c9e719beb4e79bde.jpg

It works very well as a pop filter. I used it Thursday night, and noticed the need for a deesser at times. I don't know if that had anything to do with the alteration to the mic. Or it might have been the fact it was turned up higher than usual.