Reference Guide and Help for Making the Transition to Sonar

aleo

I'm planning on making the transition from CbB to Sonar a few weeks from now, but have a few questions.

Has a new Reference Guide been published for Sonar or will one be coming soon?   What is the best way to preserve and transfer your old Cakewalk Content and Projects to the new Sonar.  Does the Cakewalk website offer advice or a video on how to make a good transition such that nothing is lost that you want to keep?

Posted (edited)

on the transition - the installation took all [most?] of my CW settings - VST plugin paths, INI settings for audio, etc. it also created a number of new folders in the C:\Program Files\Cakewalk directory, C:\Users\<YOUR NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Sonar, and C:\Cakewalk Content

Sonar and sub folders

i copied over my Pro Channel presets in the content folder and i copied over my project templates and remmed out the stock ones and moved them into an "old" folder. -- also articulation maps, CAL scripts need to be copied. there are likely some others i should copy over but i haven't been impacted yet. 

note that updates will "restore" project templates so plan on cleaning those up again (if you have your own custom ones).

very painless (for me)

one cool thing - the plugin scan in Sonar also updates the CW list (not sure if they're sharing the same plugin registry or not)

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@aleo Sonar and CbB coexist with no problem. In fact Sonar will ask if you wish to install with your CbB settings. 
IIRC I did have to go into the file page in preferences and link to the folders where I keep everything. I don’t keep data on my C drive, that’s just a “thing” for me. Anything that any program wants to put in “users” on the C drive; no dice. 
So far Sonar is not much different than a “normal” update; so really no “learning curve” yet. 
HTH,

t

pretty much what Glenn said. I was typing while his post went up. 
Great minds think alike? ?

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glenn and Tom,

Many thanks for responding.  I've taken notes on your suggestions; I know they'll come in handy when make the transition.

• Like 1