A Farewell To MAD Magazine?

I've got a whole box of the magazines from the 70's and early 80's and a ton of the paperback books.....used to love Don Martin....and Spy vs Spy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grem said:

My favorite mag when I was just a wee lad!!

Had a subscription as a kid!

I lost interest in the 80's! I wasn't watching the TV and movies that they were parodying!

The last one I read, bought off the rack, was when the Watchmen movie came out!

Mort Drucker and Angelo Torres were amazing illustrators and caricaturists!

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Mort Drucker and Angelo Torres were amazing illustrators and caricaturists!

I won't lie, I had no idea back then who these people were. It wasn't until I got much older before I took and interest in who was responsible. 

All I knew back then was I enjoyed it. And would read it over and over!!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Grem said:

I had no idea back then who these people were

I had no idea either! I only knew from reading the by-lines! Even after reading William M. Gaines' biography they remained men of mystery, as were the rest of the other artists and writers! I learned more in that book about Arthur the avocado plant than I did about Mort Drucker! The biography went into some detail about the career of Harvey Kurtzman, who by that time had not been with Mad for many years.

It was like looking at record sleeves and seeing the names of session musicians and engineers and producers. If it wasn't George Martin or Phil Spector, it was a mystery! We knew that Elton John's records sounded great, but who was Gus Dudgeon?

They didn't seem to get much work outside of Mad! Jim Davis at least did some work for Sports Illustrated  and did some movie posters for Hollywood! If I remember correctly, one of the original lobby posters for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (known to Mad readers as "Botch Casually and the Somedunce Kid") was drawn by Mort Drucker!

I do know that the influential French illustrator and cartoonist Jean "Moebius" Giraud was strongly influenced by Drucker in his early period! This was before he developed the style he later became known for! If you look at his early work, especially the Western comics, the shading and crosshatching are Drucker all the way!

• Like 1

Not enough kids read anymore for entertainment plus the market for hard copies of anything print is shrinking.

I must admit some of the stuff for kids I enjoy like Captain Underpants, Dog Man, Diary of A Wimpy Kid, Dork Diaries.

I really started noticing who was drawing what when Heavy Metal first came out.

About 20yrs ago I really got into the graphic novel Preacher. Loved the story. But the art was really outstanding. I stll have all the books. The whole series. And I still go back and read it every few years. It's such a good story. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2024 at 11:02 AM, Starship Krupa said:

I lost interest in the 80's!

I lost interest before I gained it, I might have seen a page or 2 at the most, under protest, that a friend (yeah, don't look so surprised, I had a couple, those that passed survived might be a more appropriate word, the vetting process) showed me.