stanhealth

Question

Have been using Sonar then free CWbB for many years. I understand there is now a transitioning process in place while the paid for versions are being introduced.

I have a stable/clean/hi spec Windows 10 system with the latest CWbB but now, every time I open it (after PC restart) I get the scary red activation message and the only way to get it activated and working fully is to use the 'refresh activation' dialogue in the BandLab assistant 'app'.  The 'Cakewalk product centre' app doesn't seem to have this feature other than 'offline activation' which seems irrelevant to me as I am always online.

CWbB remains activated but loses this status after a system restart (I always turn my PC off overnight).

This is a real nuisance, unfriendly and frustrating!  

Can someone let me into the secret on how to keep CWbB activated all the time, even after a PC restart!?

Thank you and sorry if answered already elsewhere- didn't know how to find it!

3 answers to this question

The answer from a Staff member is that this is the price of using free software.  Lots of demos and free versions have nag screens. 

And what I’ve noticed is because I’m logged in to a paid Bandlab membership account I never see that nag. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stanhealth said:

. . . I get the scary red activation message and the only way to get it activated and working fully is to use the 'refresh activation' dialogue in the BandLab assistant 'app'. 

I know there have been recent discussions but old age and weather conditions prevent me from finding them.  So this is from memory:

The last time I checked Bandlab Assistant was no longer used/needed because of the functions available through CbB's Menu Bar > Help items.  Over the past several months whenever I got the red Activation-about-to-expire message, I used the built-in menu bar and that worked.  Sometimes I needed to log out of Bandlab and then use the Help item that links to the Bandlab login page (not Bandlab Assistant).  But in my experience, I didn't need to activate every day, usually once a month at most and perhaps when there is an update.

UPDATE: I found a current link (help center, not discussion from users) which might help.  If not exact, the process under the In-App tab looks nearly identical to what has been working for me.

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/900006210046-Activating-Cakewalk-by-BandLab . 

Edited by User 905133
to add a link to a related help center article
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 10:36 AM, stanhealth said:

Have been using Sonar then free CWbB for many years. I understand there is now a transitioning process in place while the paid for versions are being introduced.

I have a stable/clean/hi spec Windows 10 system with the latest CWbB but now, every time I open it (after PC restart) I get the scary red activation message and the only way to get it activated and working fully is to use the 'refresh activation' dialogue in the BandLab assistant 'app'.  The 'Cakewalk product centre' app doesn't seem to have this feature other than 'offline activation' which seems irrelevant to me as I am always online.

CWbB remains activated but loses this status after a system restart (I always turn my PC off overnight).

This is a real nuisance, unfriendly and frustrating!  

Can someone let me into the secret on how to keep CWbB activated all the time, even after a PC restart!?

Thank you and sorry if answered already elsewhere- didn't know how to find it!

This had been resolved with the latest update from this week. The app requires to reauthorize periodically, but the notification message has been removed, so it will do it silently when it has Internet access.