Hans Zimmer and G.A.S.

Saw a short video clip this morning where Hans Zimmer said:

I remember having to make that decision: a car or a Minimoog.

I still don't drive.

Well, there ya go. I, for one, am not going to claim to be smarter than Herr Zimmer.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I had no idea. Yay for Zimmer!

I don't either.

Back home when I grew up, with the mandatory lessons, you were looking at around $1000 to get your license. That's at a time when the minimum wage was $4.75. It was a very small town and I could walk anywhere, so I never bothered. 

When my parents were a little less strapped for cash and my mother offered to help, I told her I wanted a better guitar instead. And then classical guitar lessons.

It has been a pain on occasions, but for the most part, it's never been a real issue. Actually, not owning a vehicle has spared me a lot of headaches through the years. Just ask anyone living in a city like Montreal about owning a car in the winter...

And nowadays with Uber, and Postmates, and Prime, it's even less of a problem. My transportation budget for the month is between $80 and $100 - and that's because I insist on doing groceries myself instead of ordering. 

Sometimes I've been made feel like I should feel bad not to have a license... People who'd imply that women had less respect for a guy who doesn't drive. So occasionally, I would wonder whether I should feel inadequate or something. But in practical terms, the numbers seemed to indicate that I really did not need a car to enjoy all the feminine company that I could, uh, accommodate. In my experience, guitars and long hair work just as well as a car. ?

Edited by Rain
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Rain said:

And nowadays with Uber, and Postmates, and Prime, it's even less of a problem.

But that means you're subscribing and not owning your tools!

Sorry, couldn't resist (not having a go at you or your decision, just that this kind of subscription is seen to be normal, but a software one isn't - there's no real consistency in my mind).

• Haha 1

It's nice to see someone with their priorities straight.
Rain, here in North Carolina, US, we took driver's ed in school at taxpayer expense. 
I remember the first day of real driving they took us out on the Interstate. Pucker factor of 7.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Xoo said:

But that means you're subscribing and not owning your tools!

Sorry, couldn't resist (not having a go at you or your decision, just that this kind of subscription is seen to be normal, but a software one isn't - there's no real consistency in my mind).

I can see the parallel. (Even if I can't park in parallel.)

Although one could argue that even if you own a car, you still depend on "subscriptions" - license, registrations, insurance, fuel, and nowadays, even software in the form of apps providing access to certain options for your car that often require subscriptions... 

They always find a way... 

12 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

The average person probably never watches a movie because Zimmer had something to do with it.

Are you saying I'm not average?

I even sat through that dismal Wonder Woman movie because of the HZ soundtrack. He was in the Buggles, man. He played on Video Killed the Radio Star.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

Poles, Czechs, Lithuanians, we don't discriminate.

I've said it before, but i bears repeating.

My Mother was 100% Polish.
My Father was 50% Polish.

We inherit 50% from each parent.

I'm more Polish than my Father was (even when he was alive you jokesters).

23 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Are you saying I'm not average?

I even sat through that dismal Wonder Woman movie because of the HZ soundtrack. He was in the Buggles, man. He played on Video Killed the Radio Star.

But... Gal Gadot.

(Actually I've not watched that one.)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bapu said:

I've said it before, but i bears repeating.

My Mother was 100% Polish.
My Father was 50% Polish.

We inherit 50% from each parent.

I'm more Polish than my Father was (even when he was alive you jokesters).

I wondering if you are happy?

I knew a guy who was half Scotch and half Soda...he was happy all the time. :)

• Great Idea 1