Free Steinberg X-Stream Synthesizer

locrian

It needs HALion Sonic 7.1 installed for X-Stream to work inside it.

Total size near 2GB .. no thanks :D

halion.jpg.a0fd4bebc35b71a54fc60d225a3e6baf.jpg

In the steinberg email it says:

After launching the Steinberg Download Assistant, open the ‘My product downloads’ heading on the left side, where you will find your X-Stream. Download and install the recommended components (including the free HALion Sonic 7.1), then run X-Stream in HALion Sonic 7.1. 

That along with FIVE Steinberg Download assistant apps installed on your system

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I

Hmmm an ultra fast quality branded 2tb  hard drive costs about £110 which makes  this install cost about 11p or 1/8th of a macdonalds 99c cheeseburger. Doesnt seem that unreasonable to me. 

Edited by S Wats
gb to tb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, S Wats said:

Hmmm an ultra fast quality branded 2tb  hard drive costs about £110 which makes  this install cost about 11p or 1/8th of a macdonalds 99c cheeseburger. Doesnt seem that unreasonable to me. 

My main thing is i have and can get as good synth VSTis which dont install that much bloat and work even as a single VST file. 

20 hours ago, S Wats said:

Comparing software to food is not logical especially comparing to fast food. 

It's a foolish habit to relate that way.  This can't die soon enough,

7 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

My main thing is i have and can get as good synth VSTis which dont install that much bloat and work even as a single VST file. 

but....we like shiny and new..........every new synth is great despite some serious producers will still rely on Massive. Sylenth, Spire.

10 hours ago, husker said:

7?   What are the seven apps it installed? 

One was an authorizer app.  I can't remember the rest. I only realized that it installed 7 apps on my system when I wanted to uninstall Halion. 

Edited by Jiles
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

Steinberg is a rather app happy cluster-kluge with their stuff.  Install assistant, Download assistant, Activation manager, and Library manager should be all-in-one.  I guess I can dump the eLicenser Control now, since I've upgraded away from it.

Yep. Folks who complain about Native Access, Steinberg brings a whole other level of complications to installations. I've bought some Steinberg libraries in the past, but more recently, I tend to avoid it.  

• Like 3

On 7/5/2024 at 1:16 AM, aidan o driscoll said:

halion.jpg.a0fd4bebc35b71a54fc60d225a3e6baf.jpg

In the steinberg email it says:

After launching the Steinberg Download Assistant, open the ‘My product downloads’ heading on the left side, where you will find your X-Stream. Download and install the recommended components (including the free HALion Sonic 7.1), then run X-Stream in HALion Sonic 7.1. 

That along with FIVE Steinberg Download assistant apps installed on your system

If you use any Kontakt Instruments, it's really not much different. To use a single Kontakt instrument, you need to install 3 applications. You need Native Access (Download Manager) to install it, Kontakt Player (Or Full) to run it and the library itself for inside Kontakt. The libraries are often much larger than 2GB as well. It's pretty common with anything that uses samples, or wavetables, so that's pretty unavoidable if they do.

Quite a few Devs will also have their own downloader for Kontakt Instruments. This is often required above Native Access.

This would install the activation app, which could really be combined with the download manager and you would get one extra app which is to manage the libraries. More relevant if you were going to be installing more Halion libraries.

1 or 2 extra apps that run on demand only and the size doesn't really seem like much of an issue if it sounds good. I've installed it, but haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment on sound, but it's not much different to Kontakt. It just seems like more if its the first Halion instrument you're installing.

Edited by MusicMan
Typos
  • Like 1