How to use guitar combo amp with Scarlett?? (amp is a Peavey Vypyr Vip1)

Krishna Ramsundar

Some might say use CW's effects, but I know this amp like the back of my hand and I have multiple configurations on it already. Just trying to figure out how to set it up properly.

Below is how I wanna set it up. What will I need?

Guitar -> amp -> Scarlett -> PC  and output speakers

A Human -> Guitar -> Stomp Box -> Amp -> SM57 -> Scarlett -> PC and output speakers:🤩

Nice amp👍🏼

It's set up so you can go out the headphone jack into your scarlett.

V1.thumb.jpg.768e84854f5ee206bfcab12cd17afb43.jpg

Edited by Old Joad
  • Like 2

Be sure to use LINE levels as input on your Scarlett and start off (definitely with making/breaking connections) with all gains at zero.

You "may" also need a Y cable if connecting to the headphone out (stereo to 2 mono), since the Scarlett will assume that is a balanced mono signal otherwise (which it may be for your setup). Just something to keep in mind if you have true stereo output... will need to split that and use two inputs on the Scarlett in that case.

On 6/26/2024 at 11:42 PM, Old Joad said:

A Human -> Guitar -> Stomp Box -> Amp -> SM57 -> Scarlett -> PC and output speakers:🤩

Nice amp👍🏼

It's set up so you can go out the headphone jack into your scarlett.

V1.thumb.jpg.768e84854f5ee206bfcab12cd17afb43.jpg

Thanks 👍🏽. So using the headphone jack won't damage the internals of the Scarlett like the pre amps correct? I was thinking about using an aux cable from the amp and plugging it in to  the Scarlett's input with an adapter (best buy audio adapter)

Amp-------(aux)------->(Adapter)->Scarlett input

I just wanna make sure lol

Edited by Krishna Ramsundar

Just be sure to set input and output gains on all gear to zero when making/breaking connections, or powering connected gear on. Both the headphone and AUX connections on the amp should be LINE voltage (be sure to set the Scarlett to LINE inputs). There is a surge when powered on, so you want everything at zero gains till everything is powered on an you are in your "playing" setup, then creep up inputs and outputs on your amp/Scarlett to get levels you want. Once you get used to that, you will have a feel for where you want to be in the future; but for the first time, be cautious with it.