Making Music "In the Box"

On 6/24/2024 at 10:35 AM, bitflipper said:

Or, just fork out the bucks for the One Synth to Rule Them All, aka Omnisphere. That'd keep you busy for a long time to come.

Since I no longer have any physical instruments, what is the best inexpensive interface for working with this?

I keep watching Luke (aka Synth Seeker), known to a few here like Andy (Synkrotron) and Wookiee using Ableton with a Push interface which is quite different than anything I've seen.  However, I'm not ready to shell out those kind of bucks just yet!  (About $1,600 for the Push with Ableton Live Suite! 😮)

Oh, and an Audient EVO 4 is on it's way here for me to try.  I was going to wait, and probably should have!

Oh, well. 😬

Unless the keyboard is your main thing and you are picky about keyboard action or need a full 88 keys, just about any MIDI keyboard controller will suffice.  Something like this, for example. It's a hundred bucks, has almost all the essential features (except for a 5-pin DIN), and fits in a backpack. I have an older version of this that I throw into my laptop case when I go on vacation.

db5189cb4aulaKG50Iwd1X7EOTBjzygTwDEPlR0U

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2024 at 6:35 PM, bitflipper said:

Or, just fork out the bucks for the One Synth to Rule Them All, aka Omnisphere. That'd keep you busy for a long time to come.

I'd add SynthMaster 2.9 alongside Omnisphere - it's a killer synth, with a huge library but covers a different set of sounds.

If I was to choose only one purchase though, I'm pretty sure I could survive with only the Korg Collection 4 - it pretty much covers all the bases.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Or save the thousands on just two when you could have 22 from cherry audio synths stack 4 for a mere £340.00

They're also often in humble bundles too, it seems.  I'm really liking then at the moment (I rscently made myself do a track with just Cherry synths, plus BFD 3 for drums, and it worked remarkably well), and they cover a lot of more "traditional" synhs very well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1