Help... Offset music start

Andy Blaber

Question

Hi,

New to Cakewalk and loving it. I want to add music to a video. I have imported the video and I can deal with that... Cool!

However, I need the music to start at 00:00:05:15. Therefore I want that to be the bar 1 beat 1. This means that the video plays for just over 5 seconds before the music starts. When I hit record it starts at 00:00:05:15 etc. 

I don't know how to do it and I haven't found any tutorials that shows me how to do this. Can anyone give me a starter for 10 or point me in the direction if some video tutorial? 

Thanks in advance... 

4 answers to this question

Cakewalk does not currently support changing bar numbering or have 'pre-roll' measures. The best you can do is set some later bar (e.g. 5, 9 or 11) to fall on the absolute start time of the video using Set Measure/Beat at Now (Shift+M), and just remember that everything is offset by 4, 8 or 10 measures as you work. When you do the 'Set', CW will change the initial tempo to make that specified bar hit the specified Now time, and insert a matching tempo at that point. You can then change that second tempo to be whatever you want for musical purposes.

Edited by David Baay

In the new Sonar, you can set the Start Marker to where you want the music to start.  It doesn't change the bar numbers, but it'll save you having to fast forward.

In Cakewalk by BandLab, one workaround is to enable looping, setting the loop start to where you want the music to start, and the loop end way past the end of the project.  Pressing W will toggle between 1:01:000 and the loop start,  so it's easy to back to where you want , and there's little danger of it looping back if it's far enough beyond the project end.

Another method is to use markers or arranger sections, and then use the marker view or arranger inspector to jump to the marker/arranger section that matches the point in the project you want to jump to.