Audio input is too low. Please help!

devo1ution

Question

Trying to record a basic guitar track in Cakewalk. i'm getting a good reading from the audio meter on my yamaha mg-xu console (where green meets yellow. stereo output sounds great), but the usb output to my computer has Cakewalk giving a max reading of -43db. even when i crank the gain, and the levels on the console are peaking at max red, Cakewalk is still only reading -27db. does anyone have a solution for this?

6 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Giorgio Gabriel said:

I suggest to read the mixer manual. It could be that the audio sent to the computer is also related to the STEREO fader.

Regards,

Giorgio

thank you for your reply Giorgio

stereo fader only works on stereo output, not usb output. my current fix is to route through a separate usb input (scarlett 2i2) to record the stereo output from the MG-XU controller. works now, but the fact that there seems to be no way to control the Yamaha MG-XU conroller's usb stereo output is a pretty big womp womp on Yamaha. 

Set Gain so it doesn't clip or distort the signal.  Then try moving the MG-XU instrument's channel fader all the way up.  This works on my interface/mixer but not sure about the MG.

There's times when adjusting a recording is necessary after the fact with Process > Apply Effect > Gain.

6 hours ago, devo1ution said:

my current fix is to route through a separate usb input (scarlett 2i2)

I think that should be your normal procedure. The Focusrite ASIO driver is superior to the Yamaha/Steinberg driver in my opinion.
Mixer audio output to the Scarlett 2i2 input.

• Like 1

I used to have a Yamaha mixer and actually the driver was never a problem. After all guess who was the developer of ASIO. Steinberg. 

On both the Yamaha mixers I used the USB stereo outputs 
and the  meter of the mains always matched Cakewalks track meter. 

I used it to record a board mix of our gigs no problem. 

So make sure you download the latest driver from Yamaha. 

Important! 
You need to know that level settings in Cakewalk have absolutely nothing to do with the tracks input level. That is always set at your audio interface.
Otherwise you run the danger of overdriving you interfaces A/D converters. That would sound ugly. 
Possibly Yamaha set a low output on purpose to avoid that if there’s no physical output level control, which looks like it is possible. Yamaha generally know what they are doing and actually wrote the book on digital audio. 
 Ya it sucks but it is a mixer not really designed to be used as a proper audio  interface.
The USB option is so you can playback backing tracks or a DJ rig directly from your laptop.

The output is really just a convenient way to record a board mix in stereo at gigs. 

Yamaha writes very good manuals. Start reading. 

Not sure why you are using the mixer as an audio interface if you own the Focusrite. Both are probably equal to the task but the Scarlett will definitely give you more control over the input levels. 
The only advantage of the little mixer is you can keep more things connected. 

I ended up getting a Zoom L8 because it's a both a great mixer and audio interface. I tried at least 5 different small USB mixers and the L8  is defiantly been the best deal ever. All the small mixers I owned in the past were only 2 Channel USB but the L8 has 12.  And it's a stand alone digital 8 track. No more stereo board mixes. I can record all 8 channels. 

Edited by John Vere