This doesn't make sense

I know, I know -- the TTS-1 is an old synth. But, I use it as a basis to start new projects with, and gradually work newer synths into the tracks as I go along. 

Anyway -- I have a scenario where my Instrument (E. Piano 1, midi channel 4) plays through two channels (including channel 14)! Even though you will see that only channel 4 is assigned to it in the console on the left. Can anybody please share thoughts on any potential remedy for this?

BTW, I also need to know how to activate Cakewalk's Help documentation (It was installed, 68 Mb of it), but by clicking the "Documentation" option under the Help menu, I'm still taken to the online help site (which I find lacking in comparison).

TTS-1.thumb.png.13ae73430737f1cddd22824b71537128.png  

In a way no it doesn't, The only way I'm aware of that this happens is when you choose " enable midi output" in the synth properties. The TTS-1 is DX and doesn't have that option as far as can tell. If it does it's most certainly hidden away somewhere. Midi output  will allow midi data to loopback to a track that has its input selected to all inputs or none. Possibly the TTS-1 midi output is always on. 

You could also have a hidden midi track feeding 14, so open the track manager and check. 

You are not showing the more important dialogue boxes in your screenshot. If I could see every tracks header I might spot something. Drag the divider all the way right to show all the dialogue boxes like I did here. 

Screenshot(176).png.a74e2d4e30a01fedb4ba4fcd656bc4b8.pngScreenshot(178).thumb.png.03230200739a00de8c866ff89069b5ec.png

Edited by John Vere

10 hours ago, John Vere said:

In a way no it doesn't, The only way I'm aware of that this happens is when you choose " enable midi output" in the synth properties. The TTS-1 is DX and doesn't have that option as far as can tell. If it does it's most certainly hidden away somewhere. Midi output  will allow midi data to loopback to a track that has its input selected to all inputs or none. Possibly the TTS-1 midi output is always on. 

You could also have a hidden midi track feeding 14, so open the track manager and check. 

You are not showing the more important dialogue boxes in your screenshot. If I could see every tracks header I might spot something. Drag the divider all the way right to show all the dialogue boxes like I did here. 

Screenshot(176).png.a74e2d4e30a01fedb4ba4fcd656bc4b8.pngScreenshot(178).thumb.png.03230200739a00de8c866ff89069b5ec.png

Thank you so much for your input. I think I got it! 

Track 13 had its Input Echo activated (see screenshot), so after deactivating it, it worked ok. If you had not mentioned a possible hidden midi track feeding track 13, I would not have looked with the necessary eye to pick this up.

I am curious, though: what would be the purpose of activating input echo on tracks other than the one that is being used for recording/editing? 

TTS-1B.png

What I’ve noticed is the track in focus in PRV will have input echo on. 
This trips me up when I insert a new instrument and I go to record on it and I can’t turn off the input echo of another track? I learned to open PVR and put the focus on the track I want to record to. Not sure if it’s a bug or by default but it annoying. 

• Like 1

Now that this issue has been resolved, another one has come up: my drum channels (10 and 16) on the TTS-1 were set to the Power Set, but as soon as I press Play or Record, it jumps back to the Standard Drum Set. Any ideas why this would happen?

25 minutes ago, Cobus Prinsloo said:

Now that this issue has been resolved, another one has come up: my drum channels (10 and 16) on the TTS-1 were set to the Power Set, but as soon as I press Play or Record, it jumps back to the Standard Drum Set. Any ideas why this would happen?

Is the patch and bank for the MIDI track that is routed to the TTS channel 10 and 16 both set to the Power Set?

Or you could insert a Bank/Patch change event in the MIDI track itself.

I have a series of tutorials, This one is all about using the TTS-1

https://youtu.be/pwEMq67Zn3s

This one is about instrument tracks

https://youtu.be/rVWeMsPZ-hc

If your new to using Cakewalk it's best to start at the first video on the playlist and work your way through. They are mostly short videos so it doesn't take long to have a when your done you will have learned a lot about using Cakewalk. 

This is the playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7YqVth30eGsURWrKGeu-fFyg3ETjF-Ox

• Like 1

Thank you so much, John, I'll definitely check it out!

It looks like, as soon as I route a second track to the same midi channel (in this case 16 with the Power drum set instrument assigned), the instrument reverts to the default one, i.e. the Standard set. I did not assign any particular bank or patch the tracks, as it seems unnecessary (it works for all the other tracks  channels). But alas, after I assigned a bank and patch for the second track, the instrument didn't change again!

So, thank you, guys, for your valuable input.

The track header will guarantee that that track plays the correct bank and patch with the TTS-1. Setting patches in the GUI can easily be over ruled by all sorts of other scenarios. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2024 at 6:18 PM, Starship Krupa said:

I agree that using TTS-1 to start your projects no longer makes sense.

For the low price of $9.99, you can get a bundle that includes AIR's excellent workstation synth XPand!2.

Popular among Cakewalk users and elsewhere for just the kind of work that you describe. It comes with over 2000 patches, including drums. Also 4-track multitimbral.

Does it also provide 16 channels with different instruments/patches allocated for each channel?

29 minutes ago, Cobus Prinsloo said:

Does it also provide 16 channels with different instruments/patches allocated for each channel?

Nah, it's only 4-track multitimbral. But it's pretty lightweight, multiple instances don't challenge the resources.

It's a virtual ROMpler like TTS-1, so there's not much the plug-in needs to do in terms of number crunching, it just has to play back audio and throw some FX on if you want. It's pretty old these days, which helps it to be resource-sippy.

It was believed that AIR would never do anything to update it, but a couple of months ago they announced a public beta of a VST3 and Apple Silicon compatible version. I've been testing the Windows VST3 and so far it runs solid. They screwed up the installers, they don't install the presets in the right location, but that was my first bug report, so it'll likely be okay by the time they go full release with the new revision.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2024 at 4:42 AM, Cobus Prinsloo said:

gradually work newer synths into the tracks as I go along

One caution, about XPand!, Cobus: it might disrupt this part of your workflow. I and others have found that sometimes, the XPand! sound winds up working better than something from one of our "fancy" synths.

Y'know, I wanna use Chromaphone or Analog VA just because I paid more for them, but sometimes XPand! just has it in the context of the whole song.