temp[?] export files in audio folder

after doing an export last night, i found 2 uuid-like named files in the audio folder:

23080334-ae85-4925-b57d-be5b930eea6f.wav
23080334-ae85-4925-b57d-be5b930eea6f-52e0fc564dabce02a0322847fe187ea9.wav

i exported a WAV file and an MP3 file. if i had to guess, these files are generated before creating the final destination file in the target export directory. when i listen to them, they appear to be identical to the exported mix, and the date time stamps are the same, and when i ran the export this morning the files show as "accessed" - presumably updated to reflect the last exported tasks this morning.

Q: are these supposed to be cleaned up at the end of the export process? or are these tied to the export tasks (i.e. the internal task id is used to name these files) and they're preserved for subsequent task runs?

Q: are these kept as part of the audio file collection if i make a copy of the project w/ copy files set on? meaning when i archive, will this come along, or they're only "known" to the export tasks?

image.png.26dbf7c9a9af45e3c57a351eed33290e.png

Edited by Glenn Stanton

Posted (edited)

so might be a bug - generating the files when the project preview is unchecked, in my example, in both the WAV and MP3 export settings. unless the preview files are generated regardless so the start screen function.

one interesting thing - when i first open the dialog the preview box is grayed out. when i did a "recall settings" for each task, the box was then "available" - however - this only occurs by default on all source settings except entire mix. otherwise it's grayed out until you recall the task settings... so busses, tracks, clips etc exports the box is grayed out. makes sense if i'm exporting anything other than 2-tracks...

image.png.f8757a018ae3b4dc0da76088ce92cc7b.png image.png.a1c64835065af1e35b5d9419e2f4b17a.png image.png.82105b009ffd642b80b4dd7c87dba21c.png

Edited by Glenn Stanton

Preview files are generated by default the first time you export from Sonar unless you deliberately uncheck the box and will remain in place until over-written by new ones. They can be freely deleted without consequence but will survive Clean Audio Folder because they are associated with the project file internally.

EDIT: I should also mention that they are CWP file-specific so if you save alternate/evolving versions of a project in the same folder, each will get its own set of preview files when you export from it.

Edited by David Baay

that would explain it. the preview files only showed up the first time i exported from Sonar even though the boxes where unchecked. and now, checking after the same project and several other exports - no preview files. so that's the answer. still, it would be preferably to never exported them unless checked... 🙂