I guess it's official

7 minutes ago, Alan Tubbs said:

It looks like things are getting clearer.  @  $150 a year or @15 per month for the nu sonar and all of Bandlab stuff.  Or continue to use CbB for free until ms changes something vital and fails to work.  Now all bandlab has to do is add a perpetual license to the options and leave nu sonar operable once the lease period ends.

there are plenty of users willing to shell out $150 to $180 to keep Bandlab rolling for another year.

From the FAQ

"Cakewalk by BandLab will continue to be free without a subscription requirement. While the software will continue receiving essential maintenance updates, no new feature development is planned as we prioritize advancements in Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar."

I'd take that as they would likely take care of the MS changes?

Edited by Heath Row
Spelling

I too thought learning a new DAW would be a huge lift (after 30 years on Cakewalk)...but as others have said, once you understand 'how to do things' (in Cakewalk or whichever  DAW), it's mostly just a matter of looking up different keystrokes and maybe a slightly different workflow. 

I was finally starting to make good progress on my recording backlog with CbB and had no intention of moving. Ever. Now, I find investigating new DAW's to be sort of a new interest.  But it's a distraction to the end goal: 'getting my music to done'.

I agree with the above posts that suggest our small segment of "Old-timers against Subscriptions" (OTAS) is likely irrelevant to them. But they could still do the right thing - and turn off the 'digital leash' to Singapore!

Then we would know we could keep CbB running forever on an isolated box if we wanted to.

All of this has really just been an unnecessary distraction/stress to the fragile creative process IMO. And for that, I do not want to give any of my dwindling funds to this company. But I do think CbB was a really great DAW...that I know inside and out. I just cannot sign up for another monthly bill.

Nor can I be worried that my DAW may be yanked away at any time from some foreign land.

So I really have no choice but to move to a different DAW now.

I guess that is what Bandlab really meant by 'the Democratization of Music'? Hold loyal customers hostage? OK, got it.

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

Posted (edited)

Here we all are 1 year later and it’s been a huge distraction for many.
Notice there’s rarely a thread started asking an actual question about USING Sonar.  Most of them are dug up from the dungeon. 

Views of all my how to use Cakewalk Tutorials have dropped right off the map. Very little interest in Next too. 

I guess that statement about CbB is actually the best news of all! 

It seems they might have changed their mind about killing it completely and it will now kept as a sort of free demo for Sonar. 
The key words that were not included in past statements is  that it will still receive a updates. 

This  implies a longer lifespan than I originally expected. Good news. 

I wouldn’t get my hopes up that they would remove the activation. 

Edit: Instead of speculating I asked and was told the 30 day cycle will still happen but without the big splash screen, just a polite toast.

It is a small price to pay for using a free Daw as powerful as Cakewalk. Please don't anybody complain about this. Be happy!  Cakewalk will still be available and free. This is the best news in a whole year! 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 4

A long as CbB works, I’m in. Should a permanent license option for Sonar be presented, I'd buy it. Should CbB for some reason stop working without a permanent license option being available for Sonar, I would evaluate my alternatives. But the statement made by Jesse Jost, about CbB remaining free and even receive essential maintenance updates, is to me reassuring enough to keep using it.

• Like 4

CbB does pretty much what I need  it to do at the point where it is now but I'm still going to hang onto the membership for a little while anyway.  Who knows what kind of improvements they're working on for the future? 

Also, the "Digital Leash to Singapore" might be the only way they will be able to keep the  CbB maintenance updates going on to insure continuity in case ms changes something.  I don't think that will be an issue for a while.  We have options now and we know them.  That's good news.

😀John B

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, jmmatt1 said:

I too thought learning a new DAW would be a huge lift (after 30 years on Cakewalk)...but as others have said, once you understand 'how to do things' (in Cakewalk or whichever  DAW), it's mostly just a matter of looking up different keystrokes and maybe a slightly different workflow. 

I was finally starting to make good progress on my recording backlog with CbB and had no intention of moving. Ever. Now, I find investigating new DAW's to be sort of a new interest.  But it's a distraction to the end goal: 'getting my music to done'.

I agree with the above posts that suggest our small segment of "Old-timers against Subscriptions" (OTAS) is likely irrelevant to them. But they could still do the right thing - and turn off the 'digital leash' to Singapore!

Then we would know we could keep CbB running forever on an isolated box if we wanted to.

All of this has really just been an unnecessary distraction/stress to the fragile creative process IMO. And for that, I do not want to give any of my dwindling funds to this company. But I do think CbB was a really great DAW...that I know inside and out. I just cannot sign up for another monthly bill.

Nor can I be worried that my DAW may be yanked away at any time from some foreign land.

So I really have no choice but to move to a different DAW now.

I guess that is what Bandlab really meant by 'the Democratization of Music'? Hold loyal customers hostage? OK, got it.

i actuall dont  mind paying for it, but the looks of it are just killing me! i am not into the 2D vibe at all. i have checked out Luna, and Harrison.. i still like the workflow in sonar, but i wont pay for it if i am not diggin the way  it looks.  i know its about making music, but if i have to stare at something for 12+ hours sometimes, i need to be a little inspired. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, John Faughey said:

i actuall dont  mind paying for it, but the looks of it are just killing me! i am not into the 2D vibe at all. i have checked out Luna, and Harrison.. i still like the workflow in sonar, but i wont pay for it if i am not diggin the way  it looks.  i know its about making music, but if i have to stare at something for 12+ hours sometimes, i need to be a little inspired. 

Perfect sir

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John Faughey said:

My thoughts exactly - When I look at it it , it makes my eyes feel like my glasses need cleaning

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

For the life of me I can’t find the FAQ. 
How about a link, please. 

t

It's not much of a FAQ,  and I'm sure you must have seen it and perhaps just overlooked it, anyway, it's at the bottom of the Sonar page

https://www.cakewalk.com/sonar

and the part quote I used is in the FAQ entitled 'Is Cakewalk Sonar replacing Cakewalk by BandLab?'

Happy days 👍

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I was thinking about how I better remember to cancel my Bandlab Backstage pass in a few weeks. 
As I said it’s a bit more than $20 for me in Canadian funds. It's Summer and I won't be in the studio much. It's live gigging season. 
Then I realized that I’ve now spent $100 on Sonar! I don’t own it and when I end my membership it will cease to function. 
So 5 months $100. Ya I could have taken the bait on the discount offer and had 12 months for about  $160 Can. But I was one of the fools who believed we would be able to purchase it by now. 
But it really drives home the fact that subscribing is the stupidest way to use software for me. 
$100! poof- gone and nothing to show. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, John Vere said:

One year and thousands of plays I got a credit of $5.00 on DistroKid. Oh and there’s another subscription to pay. 

I've had stuff that's been viewed millions of times on Youtube and the royalties were under £10 so I don't think Bandlab are stealing your money

• Confused 1

In my opinion the sales policy they are choosing is absurd, but I am convinced that there are intelligent people on the Sonar staff, so I hope that soon there will be a purchasable version, I have 3 releases for the next few months and among my partners there is no not even a studio that has a rental DAW.
I cross my fingers.

• Like 1