Long distance move and new studio design.

15 hours ago, craigb said:

Sounds more like their name should be "Have a stick" and they'll stick it to you!!! ?

They aren't involved with the cost of build-out - they have a one-time fee for design. That number is based on their experience for the build-outs.

Their design is certainly not cheap, but then again why should it be? :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, craigb said:

It would probably only be $200-$300 per square foot if the contractors didn't have to commute to the Portland Metro Area... ?

(I might be joking! ?)

I've only been here a month but totally understand that point!

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

All I can say is, whatever size you build it's never going to be big enough.

Interestingly this room is about 2 feet bigger in each direction than my last studio, so it will probably get to be a similar size when done.

I no longer record bands. I have a few nice guitar amps but I only record through the Fractal Axe FX III Turbo. I program drums using VSTs, I hack on keyboards a bit, and I do have some nice gear for recording my acoustic guitars but that about sums it up. I know my creative workflow and just need the right space for it. I also need to be able to play VR games in the space and we'll build that in as well! lol

Should be a great project studio that fits my needs when it's done. ?

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 7:06 PM, 57Gregy said:

They do know the house is already built, right?

They are backlogged and can't start for 8 weeks. I'm not sure how long the design phase takes but then I have to find contractors to do the work.

I have a call tomorrow to get more clarity on the project. :)

On 7/30/2024 at 4:11 PM, smallstonefan said:

They are backlogged and can't start for 8 weeks. I'm not sure how long the design phase takes but then I have to find contractors to do the work.

I have a call tomorrow to get more clarity on the project. :)

I know the end result will be well worth the wait, and I think it's really cool that you can do that. 
Everybody sing along! Anticipation, anticipay ay shun.

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2024 at 3:11 PM, smallstonefan said:

I have to find contractors to do the work.

Wow!! That will be a chore in itself. I thought that they would know someone or recommend contractors. Get references!! Make sure they legit legal wise.

So it's gonnna be your gaming room tooo!!? Oh yeah!

15 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

I know the end result will be well worth the wait, and I think it's really cool that you can do that. 
Everybody sing along! Anticipation, anticipay ay shun.

Thank you ? It's very exciting to get to realize this dream!

11 hours ago, Grem said:

Wow!! That will be a chore in itself. I thought that they would know someone or recommend contractors. Get references!! Make sure they legit legal wise.

So it's gonnna be your gaming room tooo!!? Oh yeah!

Yeah that's going to be a challenge especially since I'm new to the area. And YES this is a music studio gaming room! ? lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I signed the contract for the design yesterday after we had a great call and they talked me through the process a bit. This is going to be a BIG project. They will be physically modelling my gear and furniture so they can build acoustic models of the room and I'll get 3d renders as we determine the design. I don't like the idea of taking so long but I'm going to engage and enjoy the process as much as possible. I'll start a new thread when the project starts and I'll keep it updated for those that want to follow. 🌞

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2024 at 11:22 AM, smallstonefan said:

going to engage and enjoy the process as much as possible. I'll start a new thread when the project starts and I'll keep it updated for those that want to follow. 🌞

Yes do enjoy it!! I bet it will be a learning experience too!!

And for sure keep us updated with pics and story details. 

• Like 1