Long distance move and new studio design.

That's the good news: snow rarely sticks around more than 2 or 3 days. The bad news is that in the interim it goes through a couple melt-freeze-melt cycles, leaving a thick coating of ice that makes roads literally impassible. And sidewalks unwalkable. In Portland especially, this often takes the form of ice-laden trees and power lines that then fall down, and if news reports are representative, almost always landing atop someone's new car.

But that won't be until December at the earliest. Plenty of time to enjoy a pleasant summer before the wind storms arrive. They told you about the wind storms, right?

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

...Plenty of time to enjoy a pleasant summer before the wind storms arrive. They told you about the wind storms, right?

Note that the strongest winds are from the East, but the trees are ready for that direction.  Here's what happens when a strong wind comes from the South:

My house in Troutdale:

Timber1.jpg

The house I had my Mom in in Gresham:

winddamage-1.JPG

Thanks Bit - I have been warned about the ice but not about wind.

Our house is considered part of forest park, so apparently we get lowest priority when electricity goes out from ice and storms. And since we’re in the hills I’m told you have to stay put as you can’t drive anywhere. I met with a generator company when I went out and closed on the property and I have a whole house generator being put in when I arrive. I can’t change the weather but I’m going to be as prepared as possible for it. 👍

1 hour ago, smallstonefan said:

I met with a generator company when I went out and closed on the property and I have a whole house generator being put in when I arrive. 

Lucky you!  The generator below was supposed to come with the house but, the day before I was to get my keys, the previous owner stole it (long story!).

Generator.jpg

The did leave me the $1,800 transfer box though (which holds the batteries and handles the switch from power company to generator).

Garage-1.jpg

Fortunately, Troutdale had just had its electric put underground so I didn't have as many issues.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

I have a whole house generator being put in when I arrive

Brilliant move. Get one before you need it, as once the power outages hit there will be none to be had. Like tire chains.

Another plus : once you buy a generator that's about as good a guarantee there is that you'll never need one.  Same principle used to apply to air conditioners. I bought one in the 70's, used it for a week and never again. But that was before all the weather maps adopted today's mostly-orange/red color palette.  A couple years ago we hit 115 degrees here - this in an area where states of emergency are declared if it goes over 90.

Next, we need to discuss the wild fires.

On 6/14/2024 at 7:25 PM, smallstonefan said:

I'm pretending wildfires don't exist...

Good plan. Hope you saved some of those N95 masks, you know, just in case denial isn't helping you breathe. Or you want to go outside.

Hot tip: you know that big fan you used to use in Nebraska in a futile attempt to dissipate a little sweat? Don't toss it. Get a couple good-quality furnace filters and tape them over the fan's intake side. Then, when the smoke gets to the point where your living room smells like a campfire, the fan will remove just enough of it to mitigate the stinging in your eyes. Whatever it doesn't filter out will be handled by your nose hair. This is why I do not trim my nose hairs.

38 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Bears. Don't forget the bears.

Not so much where he's moving, but we just had some sightings a couple of miles East of me near some friend's houses here!  Cougars and coyotes are common too.

Well, I will probably check on the Deals forum this week but won't be around much until Sunday or Monday. The movers come to take our stuff tomorrow, and then we head out on Tuesday. We rented a one-way motorhome for my wife and I to take our dogs, plants, and other items we didn't want to have the movers take. It's a four day journey to Portland. I am actually really excited to be done with packing and to be getting on the road.

I'm glad we took the time to go through all of our belongings before packing. We had over a dozen trips to Goodwill and we gave away enough stuff to furnish a two bedroom apartment. We got to make a lot of people smile and we get a chance of a fresh start when we get there. We are very excited about this new chapter and a new studio is my number one priority - but to be fair it's probably not the #1 priority of my wife. lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bapu said:

Don't lose that thought, James.

That's option #1.  Option #2 involves forgetting to pack the wife and bring her, and you don't want to do that option! 🤣

Well we arrived at the new home around noon yesterday. We had woken up early in Emigrant Springs State Park where we camped for the night and decided to hit the road. 

It sure is pretty up here and we just keep discovering new plants and flowers. We slept better last night than we have in weeks. We are hoping for another great night of sleep as the movers arrive tomorrow for deliver of over 300 boxes. I will breath a sigh of relief when they leave and our stuff is in the house. 

It’s beautiful, we love our new home, and the people have all been very welcoming so far. ☀️

• Like 2