Installing SPLAT after CBB - where are my VSTs?

Posted (edited)

Hey Steve, when you get up and running with SPLAT,  let us know how it compares with CbB (For example, any glaring bugs/shortcomings?).  I'm digging out my old archived data drives with previous versions of Sonar, so I'll be following your lead shortly.

Honestly, this is the last thing I expected to do, but after YEARS (since Sonar X1) of working with what I considered the perfect DAW UI for me -- well, let's just say New Sonar's 2D look is contrary to what my partially-color-blind eyes feel comfortable with.

Edited by JonD

1 hour ago, JonD said:

Hey Steve, when you get up and running with SPLAT,  let us know how it compares with CbB (For example, any glaring bugs/shortcomings?).

Here’s a list of feature enhancements and bug fixes from 2018.04 to 2022.11. But first, go get a cup of coffee. The document is 87 pages long.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aFOe_zJrd3x2EnaZ_Jc3iSbZPG2WANiCD4_RP83OjlA/edit?pli=1#heading=h.2

The list ends there, so it’s not complete. There's a year missing, so I guess the guy who wrote it got tired of writing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canopus said:

Here’s a list of feature enhancements and bug fixes from 2018.04 to 2022.11. But first, go get a cup of coffee. The document is 87 pages long.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aFOe_zJrd3x2EnaZ_Jc3iSbZPG2WANiCD4_RP83OjlA/edit?pli=1#heading=h.2

The list ends there, so it’s not complete. There's a year missing, so I guess the guy who wrote it got tired of writing.

Appreciate the link... but as a longtime user of sPlat up to the release of CbB, of course I'm aware of the huge list of bugs fixed by Bandlab.  Luckily for me,  I'm far from a power user, so the vast majority of those bugs shouldn't affect me anyway.  

That being said, I don't recall the bug fixes that did affect me (or will when I revert back to sPlat)! 

So I'm hoping Steve will kindly share any "gotchas" he comes across -- as a warning to any users like me following in his footsteps.  No pressure, Steve!  😉

Now I am using Splat and AFAIK that's what I miss:

• Take lanes: There were some bugs fixed, but there are still a lot present; so no essential change IMO
  • New feature: Visual clip gain change
  • New feature: Replace FX plugin
  • The plugin selection dialog was improved visually
  • Improved export MIDI file dialog
  • New feature: Export tasks
  • Instrument tracks support Stereo/Mono interleave

All other improvements or bug fixes in CbB compared to Splat don't impact my workflows. A lot of the fixed bugs were caused by new features and thus are not present in Splat. All in all I can live with this reduction, no essential show stopper! But YMMV!

As I said! Badly missed but not so much that it would stop me from going back to SPLAT.

I do have to say, Reaper is not looking too bad after all this drama with Sonar perpetual license drama!!

Currently,  my projects are seeing a lot of use with Samplitude and Mixbus.

I finally broke down and tried Reaper, which I must say, was pretty impressive for the price point and features. I do like having a notation editor built in to the DAW so I don't have to skip around for quick score print outs.

That is one feature that I absolutely must have! It is also what attracted me to Cakewalk in the first place.

Anyway, I am struggling with facing the ever growing fact that I will have to walk away from Cake after 20 some odd years of dedicated support and use of this product I have loved.

Still hoping 🙏  for perpetual licenses!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 8:49 AM, JonD said:

Hey Steve, when you get up and running with SPLAT,  let us know how it compares with CbB (For example, any glaring bugs/shortcomings?).  I'm digging out my old archived data drives with previous versions of Sonar, so I'll be following your lead shortly.

Honestly, this is the last thing I expected to do, but after YEARS (since Sonar X1) of working with what I considered the perfect DAW UI for me -- well, let's just say New Sonar's 2D look is contrary to what my partially-color-blind eyes feel comfortable with.

SPLAT would be ok.  A few CBB features I would miss, but nothing earth-shattering.  If the ability to activate with Command Center ceased to exist, I have X3.  I've used it a bit, and I do think that would be a step backwards and possibly a reason to look for a new DAW.  But it would be usable in a pinch, and the advantage is it would open the hundreds of Cakewalk projects I have.