New Sonar pricing: how about a Senior discount price?

This is a marketing no brainer in tons of businesses and I hope the new Sonar management decides to look into it.

Obviously, Sonar needs a way to confirm the customer's age. There must be a service that can provide that data, or, have the customer pay a one time fee to provide it.

Also, obviously, Seniors make up a significant amount of existing Cakewalk by Bandlab users due to the free versions. 

It just seems like a great way to keep a huge segment of the population that is already using this great product as well as attract others. Companies such as AARP and AMAC could be partnered with to help create new customers. 

I suggest Senior pricing of:

Subscription model:

$5 per month or $50 per year prepaid fee for those of us over 60 years of age, with no penalty for canceling and reactivation at a later date.

Lifetime purchase:

a one time fee of $100 with a yearly update fee of $10.

• Like 1

I think they should tally up the amount of money each user paid for Cakewalk/SONAR products over the decades (including all upgrades, add-ons, etc.) since Cakewalk for MS-DOS came out and then give a prorated discount/benefits package to long-term users over the age of 70  to cover the Senior pricing plans described above for as long as the historical users live or the individualized prorated amount based on prior spending runs out, whichever comes first, after which the Senior pricing plans as described above kick in.

For Seniors who never paid anything for Cakewalk/SONAR, maybe a deal could be worked out with SilverSneakers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, Larry T. said:

This is a marketing no brainer in tons of businesses and I hope the new Sonar management decides to look into it.

Obviously, Sonar needs a way to confirm the customer's age. There must be a service that can provide that data, or, have the customer pay a one time fee to provide it.

Also, obviously, Seniors make up a significant amount of existing Cakewalk by Bandlab users due to the free versions. 

It just seems like a great way to keep a huge segment of the population that is already using this great product as well as attract others. Companies such as AARP and AMAC could be partnered with to help create new customers. 

I suggest Senior pricing of:

Subscription model:

$5 per month or $50 per year prepaid fee for those of us over 60 years of age, with no penalty for canceling and reactivation at a later date.

Lifetime purchase:

a one time fee of $100 with a yearly update fee of $10.

12 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I think they should tally up the amount of money each user paid for Cakewalk/SONAR products over the decades (including all upgrades, add-ons, etc.) since Cakewalk for MS-DOS came out and then give a prorated discount/benefits package to long-term users over the age of 70  to cover the Senior pricing plans described above for as long as the historical users live or the individualized prorated amount based on prior spending runs out, whichever comes first, after which the Senior pricing plans as described above kick in.

For Seniors who never paid anything for Cakewalk/SONAR, maybe a deal could be worked out with SilverSneakers

They don't seem to be able to handle things as they are and you want to add all this ^^ on top?  Nurse, NURSE!!!

Most Cakewalk/SONAR releases are a hoot, but this one . . .

hillbilly-ezgif.com-cut.gif.0ad9a2a90781210c444538e1cf49ba5d.gif

jibbajabba3.jpg.e8123ad01ab426cbc3abbebfa90ecca6.jpg

Edited by Heath Row

15 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Lifetime purchase:

a one time fee of $100

It would take chutzpah to a whole new level for them to try that one again, but given how well they're handling things so far.........

As for subsidising the wrinklies..... why should that be a thing? They probably have more disposable income than someone half their age.

9 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

... "Sure guys, I'm over 60, here's a photoshopped copy of my neighboer's driver's license."

Well, captchas tend to make things inaccessible for us oldsters.  How about trivia questions, chosen randomly, about things that only boomers and their predecessors might remember the answers for?  Things like "What does Duz do?"  or "What does The Shadow know?"

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Yes reality check. I’m sitting in my deck chair in a mom and pop lakeside resort campground.  I am surrounded by a couple of million dollars worth of RV’s. Guess who inhabits them? People my age and older.  As The OP called us, Seniors. 

Guess where the younger families are sleeping? in tents they somehow managed to stuff into a Honda. 
It’s sort of obvious to me who has the cash flow these days!

There’s been a few people begging for a discount on a product that 

1- Is not for sale

2- We don’t know if and when this happens what the price may be. 

3- Bandlab gave you 8 years for free ! What else do you want? 
4- CbB still is free and we also don’t have a clue for how long this will be the case.  

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 3

I'm beginning to wonder how many users could pay for their subscriptions just by completely shutting down their DAWs and studio hardware every night. I generally do, but I know a lot of people leave stuff running 24x7x52,  often with Windows in high-power mode with all power management disabled and the audio engine idling with a project open. Add external interfaces, controllers and monitoring hardware, and I guarantee you're burning significantly more than $15 a month while not using it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I'm beginning to wonder how many users could pay for their subscriptions just by completely shutting down their DAWs and studio hardware every night. I generally do, but I know a lot of people leave stuff running 24x7x52,  often with Windows in high-power mode with all power management disabled and the audio engine idling with a project open. Add external interfaces, controllers and monitoring hardware, and I guarantee you're burning significantly more than $15 a month while not using it.

It seems many here don't understand or just dismiss the obvious fact that many of us just do NOT like subscriptions. It's not about the $15, Especially when we have been led to believe that a product will be offered to purchase SOON!

Edited by Pathfinder

I always shut down when I m not in the studio. I have the typical Set up with a bunch of high quality power bars and a Furman Conditioner. Like right now I’m not at home I pull the plug from the whole system.  Lightning is 50/50  through the ground. Turning of the hot side of the power won’t save you. 

But you are on the right track about there’s always a way to find money for the things you really want. I just made $300 at a gig and they better hurry up and take it from me before I start thinking more about a new guitar 🎸 

On 6/8/2024 at 1:40 PM, Larry T. said:

Companies such as AARP and AMAC could be partnered with to help create new customers. 

I have had a low opinion of AARP for a few years; never heard of AMAC before, but I just looked it up.  

AMAC is here to protect your conservative interests, and offer alternative perspectives on how to best solve the problems seniors face today.

From what I have seen, they are not worthy of a high opinion either.

Senior citizen discounts hardly exist anymore.  I'll be 69 in July which means I've been a senior for a few years.  The only SC discount I've seen yet is at a local "mom & pop" restaurant for lunch.

😀John B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

It seems many here don't understand or just dismiss the obvious fact that many of us just do NOT like subscriptions. It's not about the $15

I understand that, but this thread is not really about that (or at least the OP wasn't); it's about the net cost either way. And conserving energy can help pay that cost either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

I understand that, but this thread is not really about that (or at least the OP wasn't); it's about the net cost either way. And conserving energy can help pay that cost either way.

True! 

1 hour ago, Johnbee58 said:

Senior citizen discounts hardly exist anymore.  I'll be 69 in July which means I've been a senior for a few years.  The only SC discount I've seen yet is at a local "mom & pop" restaurant for lunch.

😀John B

I'll be 70 in Augst and the only discount I get is at the local Turkish barber for when I get my rapidly dwindling mane tamed.

This won't be forever 😃

• Like 1