Blast from the past

While BL crew is refusing calls for clarity on future of Cakewalk by Bandlab or/and other options to obtain non subscription shiny new Sonar... For your amusement and entertaining a copy of original email sent to us, "dedicated core of long term Sonar users". The only thing I modified, is I underlined parts that I thought were interesting. I found this Apr 2018 email together with receipt of my donation to change.org dating February for petition to keep Cakewalk alive  :) Time flies.

bl.thumb.jpg.c2148dcc811d9c69454f9545f44c938b.jpg 

• Like 1

If they are not answering product related questions in several recent posts of concerned users - they are refusing to answer. A more modern term would be "ghosting"? Whatever you want to call it. Valid questions asked purposely ignored. 

Posted (edited)

Because it’s Bandlab’s finance, marketing/sales departments are making the decisions. If I was a developer I’d ignore the questions too. I’ve been through this in my previous life on a nearby planet. 

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Misha - have you actually asked BandLab your questions?  Although us bakers do chip in now and then, this is primarily a user forum.  There's very little information we can give short of repeating what is on the website.

FYI, the emails to support@cakewalk.com go to the guys at BandLab first.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Terry Kelley said:

Because it’s Bandlab’s finance, marketing/sales departments making the decisions.

And... they (finance, marketing/sales departments) should have all the PR excuses or/and answers ready (for developers and whoever else posts on behalf of the company on the public space) after 1 whole year of pickling "dedicated core of long term Sonar users". 

My main concern is that wording of discontinuation was present up until recently, and the way I understood: Cakewalk by Blb will be phased out after the "release" of Sonar.  Seems like Sonar had been "released" as all "coming soons" are gone. It's a simple courtesy to inform users of what actually to expect to happen now (near future). 

P.S. I am not looking freebies. All I want is a bit of clarity.

-----------------------------

3 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

have you actually asked BandLab your questions? 

I did, but answers given were very vague.  I know it's a User forum and I am a user (of 20 years :) )  And my hope that my and perhaps numerous other voices coming from different perspectives (License, availability, pricing, tech stuff, etc.)  can ring some bells of people who are withholding information.... at least on the near future (3-4 years) of the Cakewalk by Bandlab if licensing thing is still being "worked out".

4 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

Then I think you know where you stand.

I believe I do. I don't know where Bandlab stands on their product called Cakewalk, hence asking on the product forum they maintain. 

3) On a fishing expedition.

-------------

I guess I should drop my requests  to clarify if perpetual licenses for new Sonar are in plans for near future.  They have bluntly ignored simple inquiries.  It's Bandlab's Karma.

However,  they should answer on approximate life expectancy of Cakewalk by Bandlab.  Do people who are leaving have a luxury of time (2-3 years) to purchase and learn  another DAW or we are talking months?

If subscription only model(s) are on the table, I have deep regrets of putting my trust in the company which made certain vows, instead of using this time learning the workflow of another DAW. It was never about "free" to me.  There was whole bunch of people (including me) who offered to purchase Bandlab's version in the beginning (and last year for that matter).  If it was a long term plan to get people hooked and then offer no path but subscription, that's some deep evil.

18 hours ago, Misha said:

to clarify if perpetual licenses for new Sonar are in plans for near future.  They have bluntly ignored simple inquiries

They do not know or are not allowed to answer.
Or they like playing with your head.

Lets be clear.  I have zero issues with bakers.  Cakewalk / Sonar are great products.  Noel is a wizard.

Whoever is currently playing games should have come up with a couple of sentences of explanation, so staff can relay that to users. They had a full year to do that. 

• Like 1

Sure, I get that. I don't really think they're playing games, though.
These multiple threads of endless speculation and demands for information are a little tiring. Sorry it was yours I reacted to.
I can't quote anyone, but I do remember someone writing that they're trying to make the best product they can and that it takes time.
If the product you already use, theirs or a competitor's, works well for you now, I don't understand the torment many folks are experiencing.  If the new Sonar is going to be better, or different in a good way, that's just gravy.
As an old guy, I have practiced patience for decades. Whatever it is I am waiting for happens. Or it doesn't. Neither instance has killed me. Yet. 🙂
I hope your questions will be answered in due time and you will be happy with the result.

• Like 2