28% off Blue Cat Audio Re-Guitar Guitar Tone Plug-in

Tried the demo and placed the plugin after one of my OTS guitars (no preset). I could hear a slight difference in the DI sound when switching pickup types, however, when sending this to amplitube, I couldn’t hear any change in the sound when turning re-guitar off and on. 

On 6/7/2024 at 2:10 AM, jeffdrawscomics said:

Does anyone have any first-person experience with this? The videos look nice. I’ve seen some other YouTube reviews, but who knows if they are affiliated. 

I love it for improving piezo recordings.

16 hours ago, TVbene said:

I love it for improving piezo recordings.

Yes. There's a definit improvement when using acoustic together with brightness all the way down to the left.

Recording without any effect plugin gives this sharp metallic overtone from my piezo. With mentioned setting it goes away and sounds like an acoustic sounds irl.

I've been toying with an idea of upgrading stock ceramic pickups on a cheap Squire Telecaster to alnico. It's a throw-away instrument, so I'm reluctant to make any investments into it, unless it proves absolutely necessary.

Spoiler alert: it doesn't.

I went through dozens of YT videos, comparing alnico and ceramic single coils. Then studied bode plots of both designs. Since I wanted a personal first-hand experience, I went to a local music store with a portable recording setup and recorded pricey teles with alnico pickups. As you might have already guessed, the pricier guitars sounded better -- more defined and snappy -- in the mix. That is, compared to the cheap Squire.

Then I decided to apply an FR as seen on bode plots to the stock Squire pickups using a simple EQ. Guess what! I'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference in a blind test.

On the other hand, I've been experimenting with Roland/Boss V-Guitar technology, which models different pickups and instruments. The end result, however, depends on the construction of the instrument, hosting a GK pickup or a similar system. If the modeled instrument is similar to the hosting one in construction (body type, scale, string gauge), then the modelling works as expected. It is very easy to transform Ibanez to Strat or Tele with Roland's V-guitar. But, in order to get good acoustic emulation out of that system, the hosting guitar must have heavy gauge strings installed, because that slinky-spanky character of the lighter gauge strings cannot be dialed out with just modelling.

In other words, I think that this plugin should be able to successfully mimic various pickup EQ curves. But I wouldn't expect it to transform your instrument into something completely different. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Soundwise said:

I've been toying with an idea of upgrading stock ceramic pickups on a cheap Squire Telecaster to alnico. It's a throw-away instrument, so I'm reluctant to make any investments into it, unless it proves absolutely necessary.

Spoiler alert: it doesn't.

I went through dozens of YT videos, comparing alnico and ceramic single coils. Then studied bode plots of both designs. Since I wanted a personal first-hand experience, I went to a local music store with a portable recording setup and recorded pricey teles with alnico pickups. As you might have already guessed, the pricier guitars sounded better -- more defined and snappy -- in the mix. That is, compared to the cheap Squire.

Then I decided to apply an FR as seen on bode plots to the stock Squire pickups using a simple EQ. Guess what! I'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference in a blind test.

On the other hand, I've been experimenting with Roland/Boss V-Guitar technology, which models different pickups and instruments. The end result, however, depends on the construction of the instrument, hosting a GK pickup or a similar system. If the modeled instrument is similar to the hosting one in construction (body type, scale, string gauge), then the modelling works as expected. It is very easy to transform Ibanez to Strat or Tele with Roland's V-guitar. But, in order to get good acoustic emulation out of that system, the hosting guitar must have heavy gauge strings installed, because that slinky-spanky character of the lighter gauge strings cannot be dialed out with just modelling.

In other words, I think that this plugin should be able to successfully mimic various pickup EQ curves. But I wouldn't expect it to transform your instrument into something completely different. 

I went through a similar dilemma when deciding which AC30 to buy. Standard Greenbacks or Alnico speakers. I ended up going for the greenbacks. Glad I did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kurre said:

Yes. There's a definit improvement when using acoustic together with brightness all the way down to the left.

Recording without any effect plugin gives this sharp metallic overtone from my piezo. With mentioned setting it goes away and sounds like an acoustic sounds irl.

United Plugins QuickAG does that for a fiver.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, MrFigg said:

United Plugins QuickAG does that for a fiver.

Was that a specific sale? I can only find it for 99€ or discounted for 86€…

2 hours ago, TVbene said:

Was that a specific sale? I can only find it for 99€ or discounted for 86€…

Yeah, a week or two ago they had five plugins on sale for a fiver each.