IK Specials for June

cclarry

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

TONEX is literally their only must have product. 

agreed.

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

all other amp sims are now no longer used because I have TONEX

well, almost. still find Scuffham S-Gear to be quite useful on a regular basis

1 hour ago, MrFigg said:

stayed with SE and not bothered with Max

yep, no need or interest in "more"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFigg said:

Aha!! I’ve got Melda complete as well. Have they rolled out the capture thing now? The one we sent in all the recordings for?!

ok, regarding Tonex, I read someone saying that if he could do it all again he’d have stayed with SE and not bothered with Max. What do you think?

Well I'm not 100% sure that was even for modeling.  But yes, under some menus there is some sort of confusing capture tech in a number of melda plugins, but honestly I do have the impression that it is designed to capture everything yet.  TONEX capture tech is certainly beyond just an eq curve, etc.

There are only a few IKM captures I really like (some of which are Paid like the Dumble Legends stuff).  I could easily go with only SE - but would also be buying 3 party packs.  Out of 150 presets I've loaded on the pedal, I think 3-4 of them were part of the IKM included packs.   The rest are either paid or my own captures.

I started with SE, but only went up to MAX because it came with the two TONEX "big" pedals I bought.  Also got the ToneX One.

Honestly my suggested entry point would be buy the Tonex One on discount as that gives you both the SE software as well as a physical pedal.

• Like 1

hmmm, all I can say is if I had to recomend to someone, I would and do say get TONEX MAX

I own MAX, and all IK released Packs and or singles

All released Signature Packs

Every Amalgam Captures Pack to date.

Every Jason Sadites Pack to date

Every Tone Junkies Pack to date

Core Tone Captures, New Vintage Audio, Matt Fig, Presets For All, Tone Factor, Worship Tutorials, some dude by the name of Kemosabie, something like that a few of his packs, very good stuff. I only buy Packs, don't worry about getting singles from ToneNET or whatever it's called, don't even go there really unless it's to buy a pack of someone that I've been turned on to by someone in my small circle of peers.

The point is I have hundreds of packs to choose from and I still use from IK's MAX package, some stuff in there I haven't found in all those hundreds of packs, other stuff that just sounds/suits better for certain things. Some of their Fender stuff is hard to beat. I think the 'IK stuff sucks' "the IK stuff is poor quality"mentality comes along with the general IK bashing and slagging off. "They've made an excellent product in TONEX, heck we can't give them to much, I know, lets just say their captures suck" that type of thing. Because they certainly don't suck, don't kid yourselves, you'll be missing out on some top stuff. Then you'll get the people who own MAX, but haven't really given it a chance, perhaps looked at a few and then went straight to the 3rd party stuff, yet they tend to know that the IK stuff isn't very good 😁. Don't kid yourselves.

I've been with TONEX (MAX) since day 1, I know there are people here who early on put TONEX down etc lol, now they couldn't praise it any more if they tried, oh the transformation, it has been a thing to observe 😇

Just don't kid yourselves, don't let that hate, knocking of IK that both you and I know occurs at every possible chance, practically every thread where IK is mentioned, don't let that mentality take you over, don't kid yourselves, oh yeah you might be able to bring out some bad captures, but that's a small amount really, I can show you some not to flash Amalgam captures as well, Jason Sadites, Tone Junkies, they all have some moments to forget. Anyway, have at it, do as you please, but just don't kid yourselves or let anyone turn you off the contents of MAX or any IK stuff in general, there is other factors at play here which have nothing to do with the issue at hand, it's been going on for years.

Anyway I'm out, just when I read the way this was going I thought I would add some balance, IK a bit like Waves, it's sad really, but that's how it is.

Oh, the Joe Satriani pack . . . , it's top notch, and contains some of the best there is. Highly recommended. I got to get back to it.🎸

Peace

Edited by Heath Row
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Heath Row said:

The point is I have hundreds of packs to choose from

Sounds great. Make sure you also have hundreds of compressors, EQs and saturation plugins so you spend 99% of your time auditioning sounds and never get anything done ever.

Why are we looking for advice in a deals forum again?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jngnz said:

Sounds great. Make sure you also have hundreds of compressors, EQs and saturation plugins so you spend 99% of your time auditioning sounds and never get anything done ever.

Why are we looking for advice in a deals forum again?

I have TX Max and I have a short list of about 10 or 15 favorites. I find its overkill and has more than enough captures. But for me, I still use AT5 more. The fun for me is looking at preset and trying present and changing stuff and seeing what it does to the sound and tone. That's the pleasure I get from the software. Just clicking captures and playing is no fun for me.

Edited by Nitrate Audio
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Heath Row said:

.... don't let that hate, knocking of IK that both you and I know occurs at every possible chance....

Reduced quote to not fill up the forum.

But I've criticized some IKM practices, but I was also a Day one adopter of TONEX before everyone came out of the woodwork when the first pedal hit the market (which I ordered immediately).  

Once I made my own captures, I said it was the best thing on the market.  Period.  

When I captured arguably the best sounding and most responsive amp ever made, I also see the limitations of TONEX.  That said, it brought the dream come true experience of getting close to that sound and feel at any volume which other methods never got to.  It is close enough to be very happy about especially with the in the box and hardware options to use it.

All the amps in MAX, there are some gem captures.  But they don't have a single amp on there where I feel they have captured the range of the amp so you can use it in a meaningful "clean, dirty, lead" type of way.  Not a single amp do I think they did a great job of this.  Way too many eq changes, different mics and cabs used across the same amp with no consistency.  

I agree that all the major 3rd parties also have some duds in what they released.  Recording an amp really well is not easy and the time it takes to profile on an advanced setting compounds the issue.  

I think it is unfortunate that the MAX tier doesn't include the "better captures" such as the Dumble Legends, MESA, etc that were obviously not done by the internal IKM team.  The 53 Bassman is one of the better ones in the MAX collection and they didn't even release it at the beginning despite it being in the showcase videos.  They also only have limited captures of it.

If you like vintage fender stuff - also check out Amp Gems.  I dig their 67 Blackface Super Reverb more than the IKM or Amalgam Captures - https://ampgems.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=56  They only do DI stuff, and have pretty good  IRs of the amp that helps make it sound / feel like the real thing.  There are also a couple free on ToneNet to try out.

Speaking of ToneNet.  While I agree that wading through it is annoying - the fact remains (and part of the criticism of the IKM captures) comes from the fact that there are some amp captures on TN that are quite literally better than what IKM, the inventors of the tech came up with.

In tonenet: find guys who have lots of captures of different amps. They're usually studio owners or engineers who know how to mic an amp.

People with 4 captures, 3 of which are a behringer pedal, are not the best bet.

Amp only (no cab) and pedal captures also sound great 90% of the time because they're easier to make, so if you find a few cabs that you like or use your own ir , you'll be getting a better sound than most amp sims out there.

Edited by Esteban Villanova
  • Like 1