Midi velocity question

Hi all,

So I've created a string track using SI String section and I want the velocity of the chords to rise throughout their duration.

Using the Scale velocity tool I can achieve this for the whole bar but not for each chord independently.

I have tried creating separate tracks for each chord and setting the velocity to start at 20% and end at 100% but the velocity remains at the lowest value.

Is there a way of achieving this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

the scale velocity for the "block" chords would only change the velocity step on the next set of notes. i.e. i have 8 chords in 2 measure - each chord will step up (or down) for those measures.

so you need to use a different method if you want the chord levels to change - example - i want a 1 bar chord to "swell" from 20% - 100% - then you need to use a "volume" control not a velocity control. and a volume control could be the "attack" time on the strings (if all things being equal the chord are all similar length and spacing). but more commonly the "volume" (CC-7) or "expression" (CC-11) control depending on instrument.

image.png.fb594a9aaad53b6547cf8ab8e144a2cb.png

then draw the volume / expression values

image.png.d6ed54849be9c88ec7334fbcfa102568.png

Edited by Glenn Stanton

16 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

I would do that on the bounced audio track.

most times i would add some automation, but for a B3 organ with multiple controllers going on  - leslie speed - expression - volume - drawbar selection - manual selection etc i like it all in the MIDI bits ? plus if you regenerate the audio you can lose the automation...

• Like 2