Oh, oh, telephone line, give me some time...

Rain

Yesterday I dug up an old project of mine, a song I first published on MySpace in 2007 around this time of the year. 

A DJ featured it on his MySpace page, and thanks to the extraordinary chain of events and encounters that followed, here I am today. My now defunct marriage, all the traveling, moving to Vegas - none of that would have happened if not for that song. 

But a quick audition on my iPhone was enough for me to realize that song would never have stood a chance in today's world where most of the people who listen to music online do so on their phone.  

Granted, it was a very poor mix, but it still "worked" on computer speakers and earbuds. 

Against everything inside me that balks at the notion, I now always check mixes on my phone. Not to make any decision, but I know that the people who hear my music, usually on Facebook, will be listening on their phone, and I want to have some sort of idea of what they will hear. I've done so for a number of years. Actually, I started checking mixes on the MacBook's speakers years before that. 

I've also realized in recent years that I tend to factor in the shortened attention span. Whenever I put something online, most of the time, it is a short edit that gets straight to the point.  

I'm not sure why, because I'm not competing against anything else. I don't need clicks or whatever to generate income. And I write this stuff for myself, not to please others. But paradoxically, it's almost as if I worry that I might be imposing on the good people who are kind enough to check my stuff if I don't cut directly to the chase and give them the abridged version.

Maybe I'm too polite. I mean, I am Canadian after all... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulo said:

Don't worry, son of Fidel is working on that for you. ?

No kidding!  What an idiot!

But maybe Rain has given me an idea...  How about giving all of the Canadian's he's currently torturing a hockey stick? ?