New Sonar Graphic

2 hours ago, John T said:

That picture illustrates my above point a bit I think. Don't you think the ProChannel stuff seems less finished than the rest of it? Really basic designs for EQ and Tube, no redesign at all for Console Emulation, etc.

I also don't love the way the ProChannel view buttons are underlined rather than highlighted. I think overall readability of the PC is a bit lower than the rest of the UI.

This is what I meant, either you decide on a path and follow it for all the components or you have the effect that the prochannel modules seem unfinished.
However, I'm happy that we're talking about it because I believe that graphics also have their importance.

• Like 2

The PC modules definitely need more work, and I'm confidant they'll get it. These are the kinds of specific, actionable suggestions I'm talking about, and I've raised a number of them myself.

The developers have some priorities since the EQ  is the most used of all Pro Channel modules. At least in my workflow I mostly use Pro Channel EQ mainly for for high or low pass filtering before it goes to the 3rd party plugins. The other modules don't need much improved design since they have pretty simple controls.

I have been using Cakewalk products for over 30 years and I like the direction it is going since it does speed up the workflow and readability. Going for vintage analog look slows you down since every device has different graphics so your eye will start wondering and finding the parameters and knobs instead of focusing on the value of the particular parameter Which is the most important aspect beside just simply listening and dialing the value.

Since I have been working consistently for decades many hours a day using this software I have discovered that it is much easier to have a dark theme with contrasting and simplified graphics which allows your eyes to rest and find the correct setting quickly. I have tried all the other professional DAWs (you name it) and I have not found anything better for me yet.

I grew up on reel to reel, tapes and all the analog gear. Still I prefer the simplification and the focus on the sound instead of getting into elaborate emulation of graphics from the past. The flexibility of Cakewalk and ability to assign shortcuts to almost anything you see on the screen plus assigning the mute solo and other buttons to different groups interacting with each other sometimes in opposite way makes it a winning combination. Another very important feature for me is ability to record multiple takes in a variety of ways, sound on sound, override, comping, very intelligent design and still extremely flexible.

The layout and design still surpasses what I see on the market today which allows me to work on music quickly and get my ideas down without struggling through basic issues. I really appreciate that there is still somebody developing and improving this software and I hope it will be here for a long time. I have paid $150 for a year and I will be happy to continue as long as developers keep working on it.

As I have mentioned before I don't use much of the modules or plugins included with Sonar so mainly I treat it as a host for hundreds of 3rd party plugins which allows me to customize the workflow. I keep it in VST3 format as much as possible. Laptop with Intel I9 12 generation works seamlessly and handles every project even with mastering plugins on the master bus.  I  mostly use Steinberg UR242 4  which replaced 24 channel interfaces I used before, since now I need mobile and compact setup.

It is all about sound, best regards!

Sonar-2024.thumb.jpeg.5823165bf1202d77e1c55a9792639672.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, veetek said:

Laptop with Intel I9 12 generation works seamlessly and handles every project even with mastering plugins on the master bus.

exactly, nothing to say about the software I've been using since it was called Pro Audio 9 and in my production template I have 6 buses plus the master with dozens of effects without the slightest problem (I just have an export problem that I'm solving), but really for the things you write about the power of the CPU I don't understand what the problem is with improving the graphics a little, it's just my opinion.

7 hours ago, GIM Productions said:

I don't understand what the problem is with improving the graphics a little, it's just my opinion.

I think we just need to be patient and let the developers work on it. I personally for efficiency reasons prefer simpler graphics so I can work faster and I don't have to spend time deciphering knobs positions with fancy graphics behind shadows and hidden numbers. Speed is essential for me. 

Talking about that soon I will publish here on the forum at list of keyboard shortcuts that I have customized over many years for very efficient and fast workflow. I will publish the export so you will be able to download the file with keyboard shortcuts and  import it to Sonar. I have been working on ergonomics of this program for many years and I hope this will help many users here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, veetek said:

I think we just need to be patient and let the developers work on it.

Yeah, for sure. I think it's also worthwhile to make suggestions and talk about any difficulties. But I think it's clear that they're seriously engaged in trying to make it as good as possible. I do have a lot of faith and trust in them, and they have earned that over many years.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 1:40 PM, GIM Productions said:

Sorry but I don't want to be thought of as stupid, not advertising because I repeat again that CBB is my favorite DAW, this is a nice graphic for me, a matter of taste

Graphic .png

i'm with you 100% on this..i am shocked at how bad the graphics look. i went to school for audio, and learned on pro tools..but i LOVE the work flow in cakewalk and have been a user since the early sonar days....i love the look of the new Luna DAW. i hope that once sonar gets release for real, someone will make a skin for us to upload that will give it a nice vibe....

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, John Faughey said:

i hope that once sonar gets release for real, someone will make a skin for us to upload that will give it a nice vibe....

First there would have to be a Sonar Theme Editor, or should I say a Color Scheme Editor, as it’s not called theme any longer in Sonar (which probably is a hint for the future). To make any more extensive modifications, that editor would also have to allow for changes to the glyphs/icons and not only to the colours. That function  could either be built-in, or, more realistically, by allowing import of vector-based SVG files from external programs like Adobe Illustrator or GIMP.

Personally, I think that the former might appear in due time. However, I doubt the latter will ever happen.

Edited by Canopus
  • Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

Posted (edited)

Has it been hinted at or confirmed that New Sonar includes a "Theme Editor" that will allow users to revert back to the 3D look of Old Sonar/CbB?  I thought I had read this... but maybe it was just wishful thinking?

*EDIT*  Lol.   Obviously I didn't read the comments just above mine before posting this.  I'm glad that others are thinking along the same lines....

Edited by JonD
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JonD said:

Has it been hinted at or confirmed that New Sonar includes a "Theme Editor" that will allow users to revert back to the 3D look of Old Sonar/CbB?  I thought I had read this... but maybe it was just wishful thinking?

*EDIT*  Lol.   Obviously I didn't read the comments just above mine before posting this.  I'm glad that others are thinking along the same lines....

There isn't any Theme Editor for the new Sonar at present. We do intend to release one in the future, but it'll have to be written from scratch. When it's available you'll definitely be able to change colours, but whether you'll be able to replace SVG's is still in discussion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Let's look on the bright side. At least the new Sonar isn't anywhere as hideous as Ableton Live.

In my opinion the new graphics will take some getting used to, but I can probably be brought around eventually. Having full 4K compatibility will be great.

Edited by Shayne White

Yeah, I agree…Ableton is pretty bad…and yes, having 4K compatibility is pretty cool. But unfortunately, I think the new Sonar graphics are pretty hideous as well. I know it’s about making music, but I also like to be somewhat inspired by something I have to look at all day. I am pretty fascinated by why they are all excited about the 2D look.

• Like 1

I've said this before, but after working with the new Sonar for a couple of weeks, I've  grown to really apprciate the clean, uncluttered lines of the GUI.

There are nine different colour schemes to choose from, I'm using Mercury Classic at the moment. 

• Like 3

I've not signed up for membership yet, but I've been regularly updating the demo and tinkering around with it. I think I get along with Tungsten Classic the best, which I find (mostly) very easy to read at a glance.

I do think looking at, but not using, a user interface is a fairly limited way of assessing the merits of a user interface.

I do use it…and I think the workflow is fantastic. I was taught on Pro Tools, and I have also worked in studios that use Studio One and Logic Pro. I do prefer sonar (Cakewalk) and I have for years. So, if I must look at something for sometimes as much as 12+ hours a day, I would like to be somewhat inspired. And for me the 2D vibe looks cheap. Again, it’s just my opinion. I have seen plenty of people in this forum that love it. and I understand it’s very subjective. I have had professionals tell me I am crazy for using cakewalk. That’s it’s not “Pro”. I tell them they are nuts…just like some have told me I am nuts for not liking the new Sonar..LOL  At this point, it will come down to the final pricing of Sonar. Then I will make my choice. Luna is becoming a strong contender as is Harrison.

fwiw, the minimal gui design ala ableton is something that's been shown academically to be the best way to do guis, although of course users used to hardware will find it somewhat strange/ugly

i'm hoping there'll be a "theme designer" tool for everyone to use to tweak the colours, but i get the feeling that the "themes" are still then embedded into a dll, rather than being editable resources on the local hd, a missed opportunity if i'm guessing correctly, but they're also still using the "shared utilities" paradigm, when there's nothing to share with these days, so i wouldn't be surprised 🤷‍♀️

/ymmvhavefungoodluck

• Like 1

On the subject of graphics I see many references to Live, but I remind you that Live has that graphics precisely because at the beginning it was conceived for Live use therefore with the maximum saving of resources, in fact it was ugly when it came out, but there is a reason ....DAWs like Sonar and the others were designed for studio and I repeat myself, with the power of today's processors you can structure a DAW that is graphically beautiful and allows you to do everything.......my opinion.

• Like 2