Once an hour at the most ( not a deal)

MrFigg

Ok. The deal searching has reached its zenith. (Not every day you hear that word eh?). Feels like I’m logging into this site every 5 minutes all day. Went a run this morning, did some Tai Chi and Nei Gong and realised it was time to take back my life. Small steps to start with but I’m giving myself a limit. Once an hour and no more. I’ll build that up but my expectations have to be realistic. Yeah, maybe I’ll miss a pricing error or two ( has my GAS really gone that far?) but the benefits outweigh the minutes and hours lost scrolling pages I already read 30 times. So anyway, that’s what I wanted to tell you this sunny morning. See you in an hour. The struggle is real. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 6
  • Haha 6

Welcome to pluginaholics anonymous PA,

admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery, take it one hour at a time, before you know it it will be two.

accept you will never be able to buy a plugin again, stay strong,

don't blame cclarry. (maybe just put him on ignore)

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Mr No Name said:

Welcome to pluginaholics anonymous PA,

admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery, take it one hour at a time, before you know it it will be two.

accept you will never be able to buy a plugin again, stay strong,

don't blame cclarry. (maybe just put him on ignore)

No, no. I’ve been a pluginaholic a loooong time. I’ve also long since come to the conclusion that the only cure for GAS is just to buy everything you want until there’s nothing left to buy. My problem area is that I’m spending way too much time checking in on this forum. Not that I want to stop buying stuff :):):) 

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, MrFigg said:

outweigh the minutes and hours lost scrolling pages I already read 30 times

If you're logged in, you should see either a circle or star on the left of some thread titles, e.g.

image.png.fd233bb2a28e7a046f0e5b20650ca7a9.png

A circle represents a thread you haven't contributed to, a star is for ones that you have posted in; they only appear next to threads that have updated since you last read them. If you click on that symbol (rather than the orange thread title), you will be brought to the first unread post (meaning you don't have to re-read any bits unless you want to).

Now, that icon is much smaller than the thread title. I realise it requires a bit more precision to click. So I've put together some JavaScript to automatically 'click' them for me. If you press F12, you will (likely) bring up the browser's developer tools. There should be a tab called Console. In that tab, I put the following and press enter.

[...document.querySelectorAll('.ipsItemStatus:not(.ipsItemStatus_read, .ipsItemStatus_posted)')].map(e => e.parentElement.href).forEach((href, i) => setTimeout(() => {window.open(href, '_blank');}, i * 750));

This opens every thread with updates I've yet to read, each in a new tab.

Disclaimers:

• If you're uncomfortable with the code above, please don't use it. I use it, have used it for a few months now, but take no responsibility if anything goes wrong.
  • The code above doesn't reliably clear the 'unread' markers all the time. If that happens, you may either want to either rerun it, or manually click on the circle/star symbols.
  • The code works today, but may not always work forever, e.g. if the website is updated.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 3

39 minutes ago, antler said:

If you're logged in, you should see either a circle or star on the left of some thread titles, e.g.

image.png.fd233bb2a28e7a046f0e5b20650ca7a9.png

A circle represents a thread you haven't contributed to, a star is for ones that you have posted in; they only appear next to threads that have updated since you last read them. If you click on that symbol (rather than the orange thread title), you will be brought to the first unread post (meaning you don't have to re-read any bits unless you want to).

Now, that icon is much smaller than the thread title. I realise it requires a bit more precision to click. So I've put together some JavaScript to automatically 'click' them for me. If you press F12, you will (likely) bring up the browser's developer tools. There should be a tab called Console. In that tab, I put the following and press enter.

[...document.querySelectorAll('.ipsItemStatus:not(.ipsItemStatus_read, .ipsItemStatus_posted)')].map(e => e.parentElement.href).forEach((href, i) => setTimeout(() => {window.open(href, '_blank');}, i * 750));

This opens every thread with updates I've yet to read, each in a new tab.

Disclaimers:

• If you're uncomfortable with the code above, please don't use it. I use it, have used it for a few months now, but take no responsibility if anything goes wrong.
  • The code above doesn't reliably clear the 'unread' markers all the time. If that happens, you may either want to either rerun it, or manually click on the circle/star symbols.
  • The code works today, but may not always work forever, e.g. if the website is updated.

You’re enabling me. Get thee behind me Satan. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, MrFigg said:

You’re enabling me. Get thee behind me Satan. 

No mate, I'm saving you time from re-reading already read posts 😁

3 hours ago, MrFigg said:

Not that I want to stop buying stuff :):):) 

I can't be enabling if you already said you don't mind/want to stop buying stuff

35 minutes ago, antler said:

No mate, I'm saving you time from re-reading already read posts 😁

I can't be enabling if you already said you don't mind/want to stop buying stuff

Aaaaagghhh. Again, the issue is not me buying stuff.  The issue is me spending too much time in my phone logging in to this forum. That’s it. See you in an hour. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Every hour is still really bad. Try once a day, then try not checking at all for a few days and realise you're missing absolutely nothing because you're already virtually drowning in plugins anyway.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jngnz said:

Every hour is still really bad. Try once a day, then try not checking at all for a few days and realise you're missing absolutely nothing because you're already virtually drowning in plugins anyway.

Yeah. I know it’s really bad. Really. That said it’s not even so much this forum. It’s the mindless phone pick up. Yesterday I trained a lot and whenever I felt like needlessly picking up my phone I read more of my book. Generally I just make a decision to do something and then do it without problem. The telephone thing is a big problem. As it is for a lot of people I guess. 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

On 5/26/2024 at 8:29 AM, MrFigg said:

Ok. The deal searching has reached its zenith. (Not every day you hear that word eh?). Feels like I’m logging into this site every 5 minutes all day. Went a run this morning, did some Tai Chi and Nei Gong and realised it was time to take back my life. Small steps to start with but I’m giving myself a limit. Once an hour and no more. I’ll build that up but my expectations have to be realistic. Yeah, maybe I’ll miss a pricing error or two ( has my GAS really gone that far?) but the benefits outweigh the minutes and hours lost scrolling pages I already read 30 times. So anyway, that’s what I wanted to tell you this sunny morning. See you in an hour. The struggle is real. 

I know that your post is partly tongue in cheek, but I think what you're proposing is actually quite healthy.

I recently took a step back from social media and the internet in general, and I feel the benefits. Since deleting my Twitter(X), YouTube, Facebook etc.. I've found myself playing the guitar more. I'm also engaging with my family more...which is not always such a good thing :)

As for GAS - I've started selling stuff on Ebay that has been collecting dust in my gear collection waiting for the day it might be used, and with the money from that, I'm buying gear (not plugins) that I actually want. Bought myself a travel guitar for the summer and headphone amp. In fact, I haven't opened a DAW in months, which feels really liberating. Instead, I'm playing the guitar every day.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, X-53mph said:

I know that your post is partly tongue in cheek, but I think what you're proposing is actually quite healthy.

I recently took a step back from social media and the internet in general, and I feel the benefits. Since deleting my Twitter(X), YouTube, Facebook etc.. I've found myself playing the guitar more. I'm also engaging with my family more...which is not always such a good thing :)

As for GAS - I've started selling stuff on Ebay that has been collecting dust in my gear collection waiting for the day it might be used, and with the money from that, I'm buying gear (not plugins) that I actually want. Bought myself a travel guitar for the summer and headphone amp. In fact, I haven't opened a DAW in months, which feels really liberating. Instead, I'm playing the guitar every day.

True story. I actually switched out my plugin GAS for guitar pedal GAS. Best bit about that is that they're tangible objects and not pieces of code. But yeah, it's the unhealthy need to pick up the phone that's annoying me. Hard one to kick.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 11:29 PM, MrFigg said:

Along with using Deals as not a deal instead of using the coffee house thinking people do not use other parts of this site. Somehow we think we wont be heard posting it elsewhere.  

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Along with using Deals as not a deal instead of using the coffee house thinking people do not use other parts of this site. Somehow we think we wont be heard posting it elsewhere.  

Not sure  I understand your point. 

Edited by MrFigg

49 minutes ago, MrFigg said:

True story. I actually switched out my plugin GAS for guitar pedal GAS. Best bit about that is that they're tangible objects and not pieces of code. But yeah, it's the unhealthy need to pick up the phone that's annoying me. Hard one to kick.

Get rid of internet/smartphone, get a dumbphone.

Personally I don't even carry a mobile phone on my person. gets left in the car or the house, if i'm not in earshot when it rings it doesn't get answered.

Very liberating.

If you have a girlfriend / wife who phones you every five minutes, even more liberating.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Mr No Name said:

Get rid of internet/smartphone, get a dumbphone.

Personally I don't even carry a mobile phone on my person. gets left in the car or the house, if i'm not in earshot when it rings it doesn't get answered.

Very liberating.

If you have a girlfriend / wife who phones you every five minutes, even more liberating.

Nah. I need to have my phone as my youngest has diabetes type 1 and her blood sugar levels are linked to my phone. Otherwise I’d leave it at home too. 

Edited by MrFigg
  • Like 1

Totally understand this.  I've scaled back my deals forum checks to no more than once a day, and I still wonder if that's too much.  I'm trying to buy less since I already have more than I need to make music, and I'm trying to make more music.  Freeing up time is the most important requirement for me making more music, and doing less research on potential deals is a good way.  I have missed out on some glitch deals, but I've already got more plugins and VIs than I have mastered.  (Honestly, I have more than I have used, which is not ideal.)

There's nothing wrong with checking deals and researching new plugins -- I enjoy parts of it -- but I want to make more music, so, for me, I'm trying to refocus my attention.

I've also scaled back other habits, too, like trying to avoid social media unless I have a reason to be on it.  It's not inherently wrong or bad (although it can cross into that and be harmful or destructive), but I find that I end up wasting time and not feeling like it was a good use of my time.  Likewise with consuming political "news" -- I try to stay informed at the minimal amount necessary (with diversified sources), and if there's something I can do to help with something, I do that, but otherwise much of it just makes me frustrated and angry and isn't a productive use of my time.  (I'll avoid any political rants here and hope the replies do the same.  I'm just presenting a point-of-view along the same lines that we don't have to stay on the same path we've been on.  Small changes to how we spend our time can change our life -- giving us more time for what's really important, and improving our mood.)

It's easy (and probably rather common) for people to just let life happen to them and then complain that they wish it was better, but there are a number of things that are in our control to improve our life.  It's worth a few minutes to think about every so often...

• Like 4

Along these lines, I don't do social  media sites hardly anymore.  I still have a FB page, but it been at least three to four days since I went there. 

This Deals and Coffeehouse forums keep me as informed as I wanna be. 

And I definitely ain't checking on it every hour!! 

As for the phone, I put.it down when I am doing something and don't check it unless I am taking a break or I'm finished. I didn't take it upstairs to my studio untill all this "dual authentication" started.  Otherwise I would leave it downstairs. 

Getting away from all this bs for a little while is good for the mind.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this. Screentime and other time limiting measures were not working at all for me. About a week ago I deleted all apps other than communications. Apple make it so that you can't remove Safari so I removed it as best as I could both from homescreen and app menu. There's some setting somewhere to reinstate it but I can't remember where it is and even if I did it'd take me more time than I can be bothered spending. If I need to look anything up internet wise I can wait until I'm on a pc which more often than not is only when I'm making music.

What's interesting is the amount of times a day I think of a question and think immediately I'll just Google it. Then I realise I can't so I just let it go. Patience, tolerance and impulse control all wrapped into a single package. And as someone said earlier, even if I haven't checked any forums for a day or so I haven't really missed anything.

• Like 5