Cinesamples ? Memorial Day Sale Starts Now!

Larry Shelby

Posted (edited)

Just a brief observation that I suspect will resonate with you, Larry, but  don't you just love how we've come to accept sales promotions exploiting sacred religious holidays and very heavy days to honor those who paid the ultimate sacrifice to their country? 

I don't mean that as anything against Cinesamples, and yes, it's likely a combination of my experience coming from a military family and having family and a friend currently serving in the military that makes me take this day more seriously than many Americans, but the idea of leveraging a day intended to honor those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for their country -- and it's usually young people -- is completely normalized in our country, but it's really distasteful, if you spend even a brief period of time thinking about it. Using a day to honor our dead to exploit for profit. That's purely what it is. 

Okay, before my post is labeled the Debbie Downer post of the day, how about this slogan for their sale, "In memory of high prices, our 2024 Memorial Day Sale!" At least then it would show a little depth and awareness that they realize how distasteful exploiting this somber day is. 

I'll do my best to do a silly post later to show that I haven't lost my sense of humor. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

On 5/24/2024 at 7:02 AM, PavlovsCat said:

Just a brief observation that I suspect will resonate with you, Larry, but  don't you just love how we've come to accept sales promotions on sacred religious and very heavy days to honor those who paid the ultimate sacrifice to their country? 

That's been in every industry as long as I can remember.  Great thought as we are no longer sensitive to what it means.