[Cakewalk Next] Change track BPM

Hey everyone! Im writing because im desperate for an  answer. ive been looking around in google, youtube and reddit, and this is my last chance to be happy lol

I have a vocal track that I need to be in different BPM, HOW can I do this in cakewalk next? I found that I could stretch the track by holding alt but if I'll have to do this for every track that I have trying to match my main BPM I swear ill go crazy

If theres a way can you help me find it? Do I need an extra plugin? Do I need to do this in audacity? Please

how many vocal tracks do you need to change?

stretching has it's limits. regardless of DAW. for starters even stretching won't necessarily place all the vocal parts where they need to be. you could try the billie eilish trick where her brother (and producer/co-writer etc) chops up each syllable to create the vocal lines. in the video where he was demo'ing this - he had ~80 clips per track... but he positioned each and every syllable where it was supposed to be and then did some stretching here and there to get it to flow.

perhaps using Melodyne, you could do something similar for placing the words, and stretch as needed etc.

5 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

how many vocal tracks do you need to change?

stretching has it's limits. regardless of DAW. for starters even stretching won't necessarily place all the vocal parts where they need to be. you could try the billie eilish trick where her brother (and producer/co-writer etc) chops up each syllable to create the vocal lines. in the video where he was demo'ing this - he had ~80 clips per track... but he positioned each and every syllable where it was supposed to be and then did some stretching here and there to get it to flow.

perhaps using Melodyne, you could do something similar for placing the words, and stretch as needed etc.

Yeah... I could do this, but I believe Ill be working with a lot of tracks with differents BPMs, so there is no automatic way to change the % or BPM in individuals tracks?

If working with a truckload of samples, most DAWs have a format to embed tempo into the original files (like Groove Clips in Cakewalk), but you are still going to have to create one for each of the original audio files concerned. After that point it can be matched to the tempo of the project it is placed in. There are limitations to this, and it is not quick to do, but might be beneficial if using the same clips in different tracks at different tempos.

4 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

yeah, this is where MIDI really shines, create MIDI tracks and drive virtual instruments. simply change the tempo and voila. 

oh..... so youre telling me that I can create a MIDI track using those audios and control the speed of each one of them?

Posted (edited)

you could try to convert the instrument tracks to MIDI and re-instrument them as an option. depends on the material and how critical the original performances are . if you're really just getting a bunch of clips together to create the material, then maybe MIDI is the answer to getting the parts aligned properly.

as an example, i'm taking a recorded electric guitar track, converting it to MIDI, and then re-instrumenting it as an acoustic guitar (and later, a piano part with some edits after the fact) but then i can tweak the tempo at will. and it's "close enough".

image.png.9ce6a4f0b5a830d55b796138a1ad1943.png

in this case, i'm going to import the MIDI into the Ample guitar "riffer" and tweak it, plus add the scratches (which don't register as MIDI notes but will as added keyswitches for the Ample guitar) and use that for the songs rhythm track.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

Next does not have ARA you cannot convert Audio to Midi. It is a very basic DAW.   But it is well executed and very good DAW for beginners looking to start out with something that is not overwhelming to learn. Compare 270 page users guide to Cakewalks 1942 pages.   

All clips dragged to project will attempt top match the projects tempo. But they need to be groove clips or what ever loops are. And best to see what the original tempo was as listed below each loop in the loop browser. You want to stay close as you can to avoid artifacts.