Impact Soundworks Save on all Ventus woodwinds this week!

Larry Shelby

Posted (edited)

Hopefully, this library doesn't have a TV set in the background of the recorded samples like their main Shreddage library (yep, I'm not kidding, turn up the volume and you'll hear it). 

Edited by PavlovsCat

3 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Hopefully, this library doesn't have a TV set in the background of the recorded samples like their main Shreddage library (yep, I'm not kidding, turn up the volume and you'll hear it). 

Hot dang. Which one of them? Is there a clip on Youtube?

19 minutes ago, Kirean said:

Hot dang. Which one of them? Is there a clip on Youtube?

I was friends with an influencer who recently passed on, a really good guy I miss greatly, who vented to me about certain developers he felt weren't great about quality control and listening to input after he presented problems to them that they refused to fix. It's part of the reason I would refer to him as the only influencer I truly respected (he wasn't perfect -- none of us are -- but he was more sincere and forthright, which are qualities rarely found in YouTubers, and possibly could be part of the reason he wasn't a more successful YouTuber ).  Anyhow, after I publicly shared how a dev completely ignored my customer support requests for nearly a year, he started telling me about his bad experiences with that developer and later told me about a few more, including Impact Soundworks. He made a video about one of the developers -- they make effects and had a drum library with some, I believe cymbal samples he considered unusable and actually showed the problem and warned people against buying the library.  Anyhow, he told me that he was considering doing something similar with Impact Soundworks and the other developer that I had the bad experience with. 

Anyhow, so I learned second hand about the library and I'm pretty sure it was the Stratocaster library. I had it on my hard drive years ago but since deleted it. If you turn up the volume on the individual samples and play a note, you'll hear that the person recording the samples had the TV on during the recordings.  I can dig through emails to get details. 

FTR, I could make a thread on the stuff I've learned from influencers and developers about stuff like this -- plus things I've caught on my own.  Back in the 90s, I had an East West guitar sample library CD-ROM (I'm totally dating myself) that had, I think it was the lowest F#, with someone coughing after you held the note for a couple of seconds. Considering there were no round robins made it even worse. Another dev put out a sample library of a well known rock drummer (okay, just among drummers of a certain age, and it wasn't Peart) that had a snare drum hit where you could hear the drummer groan right after the snare hit.  When it's one note, you have hope that maybe they have some alternative recording they can replace, but when someone has a TV on through many samples, it's a major issue.  I suppose the developer's rationalization is that if you're playing distorted guitar, no one is going to notice. But if you're not. If you're doing a passage with soft, gentle guitar with heavy reverb, I wouldn't want it in there.

I have 3 (three) full Shreddage libraries (or virtual instruments). Never noticed TV sounds in the background. Although, some samples are not perfect if you listen to them separately, in the context of a guitar (or bass) part they work unexpectedly well. IME, Shreddage instruments blow the competition out of the water. YMMV.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Soundwise said:

I have 3 (three) full Shreddage libraries (or virtual instruments). Never noticed TV sounds in the background. Although, some samples are not perfect if you listen to them separately, in the context of a guitar (or bass) part they work unexpectedly well. IME, Shreddage instruments blow the competition out of the water. YMMV.

I think the premise of Shreddage is a good one -- and Andrew and I used to chat back when he first launched Shreddage.  He told me that he was basically doing a very cut down version of Orange Tree Samples' Evolution guitars with Shreddage that focused on specific genres. I think that was a pretty good idea and it may suit your needs very well. Unqestionably that specialized approach has inherent advantages and I think Mario / Evil Dragon (the Kontakt scripter who worked on at least some of the Shreddage libraries, to my knowledge) does good work. But the only virtual guitar VSTs currently on the market  that I'm aware of that incorporate detailed samples and physical modeling are (1) Music Lab's RealGuitar, (2) Orange Tree Samples Evolution line, and (3) Ample Sound's guitar and stringed instrument line. I had RealGuitar many years ago, and found its shortcoming was largely the quality of the samples (which isn't great). They were an innovator in this space.

I would put Evolution and Ample Sound in a very different league than Shreddage. Beyond the quality control issues with the library I mentioned, Shreddage is purely a guitar sample library line. It doesn't have the same level of detail as Evolution and it doesn't have the same level of realism as Evolution or Ample Sound, which is largely due to their use of physical modeling. That's a huge diffentiator. Now, I don't think Orange Tree Samples or Ample Sound convey that fact well enough to their audiences, but it's a very big deal in terms of achieving realism. 

FTR, my use of guitar libraries goes back to the 80s and over the years, I've given a bunch of guitar sample library developers advice as a user who happens to have expertise in marketing -- although I rarely have done that in the last several years but count Orange Tree Samples, Pettinhouse, and 8Dio's owners as friends and own libraries from all of them.  I use Evolution libraries in virtually every project I do -- check my SoundCloud account, and the guitars you hear are Evollution guitars -- and had a good deal of input as a super user and largely leveraging my experience as a strategist in the tech world to go into the original Evolition library.  

Edited by PavlovsCat

Frankly speaking, I find your feud with Andrew Aversa and Impact Soundworks to be kind of childish. None of my business, mind you. Go on, if you wish to do so.

I tested all guitar libraries and instruments that I had or could get a demo, and they all sounded good. But only Shreddage instruments sounded natural, to the point, that I'd be hard-pressed to tell them from real human performance.

I think, the value of virtual instruments and virtual guitars in particular to the end user is determined by the purpose of using such tools. For mockups, I'd definitely go with something else, like NI Session series, Ample Sound, AAS GS-2, Musiclab or, maybe, OTS (they don't provide demo versions, so I don't know if they are easy to use).

If I need to program electric guitar parts that sound natural, ISW Shreddage it is.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Soundwise said:

Frankly speaking, I find your feud with Andrew Aversa and Impact Soundworks to be kind of childish. None of my business, mind you. Go on, if you wish to do so.

You're entitled to your opinion,  but it's about ethics and I wouldn't call it a feud, it's that I find his practices using his employees to attack and libel a  competitor (8Dio)  and his employees not disclosing that they are employed by Impact Soundworks when attacking an Impact Soundworks competitor with numerous fabrications to be unethical.  Anyhow, let's move on. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Soundwise said:

Oh, I'm sorry. Had no idea how severe your condition is....

Okay, we're done here. Hopefully,  you can remain civil in the future and refrain from attacks on other forum members because you don't agree with them. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

I said, I'm sorry and tried to be as peaceful and understanding as I could, to the best of my ability. Whatever your problem is, it is not with me.

10 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Okay, we're done here. Hopefully,  you can remain civil in the future and refrain from attacks on other forum members because you don't agree with them. 

• Like 1