Money

1 hour ago, pwal³ said:

So if you spent the money you've spent on software over the years, what hardware would you have bought, or would rather have bought?

🤔

PC-cup-holder.jpg

• Haha 2

Good question. Thought for a while on this one.

Having no idea at all what a good comp could do for your sound, had no idea what character really meant, I guess I would have bought more foot pedals, reverb units, and such for my guitar rig. Maybe a real good Roland multi-trk recorder or something similar.

This digital age has bought about so much ITB stuff that I never would have had the opportunity to learn how to use. So with all that extra money I would have had, I wouldn't have known what to get. Except more guitar stuff. 

As far as recording hardware goes, I really don't like to spend that kind of money. Period. So I may have ended up with just a good digital recorder and one or two mics.

Without being exposed to the type of effects I can get for a few dollars today, I don't think I would have paid the entry fee to learn. 

I would have settled for what I had and spent my money somewhere else.

• Like 2

I could be funny because there was a time that all I bought was hardware...  Although I had the Waves stuff (all the way up to Diamond), I hadn't installed it when I lost everything.  Heck, the Waves bundles are one of the few things I actually still have!  I just found out in February, 2020 that I can sell it with a change-of-ownership fee, but I'm just holding on to it for some reason...

• Like 2

Before I went Digital ITB and then now hybrid I only had analog consoles with EQ and single external Alesis reverb and delays. My last console was a 24-Channel  Alesis X-2 .
image.png.447b7ffb57b63995995a678db2ccdcd7.png

I didn't know what a compressor was but now I know just enough to overuse one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think I’ve definitely spent more on hardware and that’s not counting PA gear and guitars. I rarely pay for plug ins and if I do it better be under 20 bucks! I’d say my biggest expenditure on software was Melodyne. 

• Like 1

The only biggish ticket software that I sort of regret buying was East West Colossus, which was my first move away from only having GM type sounds in the software world. I thought it was the beez neez at the time, but history has shown that I probably didn't get my money's worth out of that. It wasn't expensive enough that I could have bought much in terms of hardware instead though. Spectrasonics, Izotope and NI Komplete were totally worth the admission price and no regrets at all there (apart from paying extra for the NI HD) Most of the other stuff I have was cheap enough that it's price to use ratio has been acceptable.

I have had a hankering for a really nice hardware synth for some time but my inner Mr Sensible Pants, who it seems totally fails to see the allure of many coloured lights and things to press or twiddle with, keeps convincing me that I really don't need it, which is completely true. The money paid out for software synths that I'm kind of meh about now wouldn't come close to those sort of numbers though, so I guess listening to Mr Sensible Pants has done me ok generally speaking.

If there had ever been a hardware version of Omnisphere, I think Mr S P might well have been told to do one, though.

1 hour ago, craigb said:

Quiz:

Which of the last three posters is a bot??? 😁

42 minutes ago, Grem said:

Gotta be you!!

LOL!!

I guess it is now! 😎

Good to see the mods are on top of things.  The bot only got off three posts that I could see (yes, I did report it).

• Like 1