LUNA (free) for Windows

jackson white

16 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Since I own all the plugins included in Luna Pro, and just lack the extensions, I inquired
about a discount and was told to pound sand...

They've been around long enough to know, that money talks. On the other hand, we've been around long enough to know, that it's a two-way street.

• Like 3

Jethro did the math and it turns out that it's better to buy the Pro Bundle at Plugin Boutique.
By the time you pay taxes at UAD Direct, even getting the voucher, it's still more than
buying it at Plugin Boutique.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Luna has great potential...and for free it's a capable DAW.  It doesn't have all the features yet,
but they've got plenty of room for it to grow.  My biggest grip is no MIDI Instrument Multi Outs,
and it could use a more robust MIDI implementation.  But what do you want for free? (We're spoiled
by Cakewalk being free for so long)

• Like 3

Since I got my Apollo, I've just been plugging in and playing with the Unison setup and figuring out FX chains and routing I want to use.  There have been a few times that I wished I had taken the time to open my DAW to record some stuff or start up  drum loop or something.  No need now.  I see this as a excellent extension for recording ideas. Now I can use just UAD to get ideas down and start working things out before I spend the time to open my DAW... 

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

(We're spoiled by Cakewalk... period!)

fixed  :D

So far even some VSTi3s like the Cakewalk AAS group crash LUNA as soon as you insert them. 😠

• Great Idea 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Zargg said:

Hi. I have had no issues installing LUNA, or getting my Faderport 16, Consol1 and NI S25 as control surfaces.

I'm in the middle of trying to track some acoustic geetar through my Apollo Solo and LUNA.

The comping is lacking and cumbersome, IMO, but might get better.

I am not changing over to LUNA, but cool to have a new DAW, and the implementation of UAD console into tracks in LUNA is very cool.

All the best.

Yup, FaderPort 16 and Console1 setup were easy as pie. I'm sure my Axiom will work out too. Just did not get around-tuit.

Comping is how I need/want to record drums. All inputs need V1, V2, V3... etc. and then group those inputs to comp all tracks at once. I'm going try a rudimentary test on that tomorrow.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

For right now VSTi multi-outs are not a deal breaker, nor is extensive MIDI editing. When I get tracks from other collaborators they are 99/100% pure audio (just like Ivory Soap). 99/100% of my "midi" is using EZdrummer/Superior and EZKeys (sometime EZBass) for skecthing out a song.

This just might be the straight forward approach I need to KISS it at demo stage. We'll see.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cclarry said:

It has the typical set up screen for controllers but I haven't tried one yet...
I'll get in to that soon...

Screenshot 2024-05-24 110022.png

Can we map knobs / switches / buttons to make it learn the conrtrollers ? 

Some observes:

Shape instrument is like a stripped down Dimension with 4 Parts (Elements) but creates a lot of rice krispies when using more than one Part.  Audio settings are 48kh @2048 samples (max available).  Crackles get worse the lower I set it.  Never an issue with CbB.

Can't find a way to set the sample rate before creating a project.  Had to close LUNA and reset the Mackie driver by opening CbB in 48/24 first.  Can't even change it in Mackie Control Panel. 😠

"Mike" is right.  Melodyne is impossible to use within LUNA.  Need ARA or ability to resize it's window.  Not sure why they'd do that but I found LUNA also prevents the Windows 10 Taskbar from opening when it's full screen - even with the Win key.

Guess I should be telling UA about these.

43 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Guess I should be telling UA about these.

Please do, as it is one of the ways it will get better and out of this open Beta phase.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, cclarry said:

... it's better to buy the Pro Bundle at Plugin Boutique.

System Requirements
   macOS 10.15+
   Windows not supported

Does this still hold true or with this Windows release, is the Pro Bundle Windows compatible?

This is also nice if it means what I think it means? i.e. the UAD native plugs are available in other DAWs or only within LUNA?

If I purchase this bundle, do I get a license for native and Apollo/UAD-2 versions?
Yes, for every UAD plug-in that supports native and Apollo/UAD-2 versions, you get a license for both.

EDIT FYI:

Included LUNA Extensions and UAD Plug-ins
LUNA Extensions
LUNA API Vision Console Channel Strip 
LUNA API 2500 Bus Compressor 
LUNA API Summing Extension
LUNA Studer A800 Tape Recorder
LUNA Ampex ATR-102 Master Tape 

UAD Plug-ins
API Vision Channel Strip
API 2500 Bus Compressor
Century Tube Channel Strip
Galaxy Tape Echo
Oxide Tape Recorder
PolyMAX Synth
Pultec EQP-1A Passive EQ
Pultec HLF-3C Passive EQ
Pultec MEQ-5 Passive EQ
Pure Plate Reverb
Studer A800 Tape Recorder
Teletronix LA-2 Classic Leveler
Teletronix LA-2A Gray Classic Leveler
Teletronix LA-2A Silver Classic Leveler

Edited by Fwrend
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If i own all the neve , api , tapes ....am i right to think that the only thing missing is summing extension ? What is included in what they call Luna extension?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Zo said:

If i own all the neve , api , tapes ....am i right to think that the only thing missing is summing extension ? What is included in what they call Luna extension?

The extensions for Luna are completely separate from the plugins.  They are:

•Ampex ATR-102 Master Tape Machine & LUNA Extension

•API 2500 Bus Compressor & LUNA Extension

•API Preamp

•API Summing LUNA Extension

•API Vision Channel Strip & LUNA Extension

The included plugins are:

•Century Tube Channel Strip

•Galaxy Tape Echo

•Oxide Tape Recorder

•Polymax

•Pultec Passive EQ Collection

•Pure Plate Reverb

•Studer A800 Tape Recorder & LUNA Extension

•Teletronix LA-2A Leveler Collection

NOTE:  Neve summing is NOT included in the Luna Pro upgrade 

It is $149 currently on sale:
https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/instruments-extensions/neve-summing.html

Edited by cclarry

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Zo said:

So basically it's like buying the option to use my plugin in prochannel equaivalent of UA ?

That's a good way of looking at it.  The BIG difference is this  not only does channel strip, but summing as well on the Main....and it's more integrated than the PC was.

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1

Really wanted to try this, it sounds like a DAW for me as I use 90% audio and very little midi or virtual instruments.

After trying to download many times over several days...I give up. It hangs at 100% every time.

Maybe I'll try again when it's out of beta. 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Clint Martin said:

Really wanted to try this, it sounds like a DAW for me as I use 90% audio and very little midi or virtual instruments.

After trying to download many times over several days...I give up. It hangs at 100% every time.

Maybe I'll try again when it's out of beta. 

I had an issue trying to install the new console a few weeks ago and got around it by running UA Connect as an administrator FWIW. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 2:45 AM, Bapu said:

Yup, FaderPort 16 and Console1 setup were easy as pie. I'm sure my Axiom will work out too. Just did not get around-tuit.

Comping is how I need/want to record drums. All inputs need V1, V2, V3... etc. and then group those inputs to comp all tracks at once. I'm going try a rudimentary test on that tomorrow.

You'll see what I mean by cumbersome, as you have to copy (Ctrl+C/V) and paste between the "take layers" (couldn't remember what it's called in LUNA). 

No main track in itself as you're used to in SO. Need to keep track of your "lanes" 😎

Edited by Zargg