LUNA (free) for Windows

jackson white

I have used Luna off and on since it was released in 2020.   Haven't seen the Windows version yet, doubtful I will as it is currently Beta and the Mac version is very stable at present.   Still use Logic Pro X , ProTools or Cakewalk as main DAWs, but often bounce out the tracks and mix in Luna.   Luna is very good for mixing and recording audio, the extensions (Tape, Console, and Summing) all contribute to a sound most of us are familiar with.    Individually these components are subtle, however, the cumulative effect of them on multiple tracks, busses and main out, it quite substantial.

Don't see using it in the near future for MIDI as it lacks in many areas, such as Multi-Out.   You can use is for MIDI but it isn't great compared to others.        What it does, it does very well but does lack in some areas like MIDI.   Also hate they don't have a Save As, that is probably my number one gripe with it.

Personally, I don't think UA view Luna as replacing current DAWs and I think to call it a DAW is a stretch when comparing to other mainstream software in the field.    When first released they called it a Recording System, not a DAW.   I think that is probably a more appropriate definition of what it is currently.   If I didn't do any MIDI and only recorded audio, Luna would likely be my only system.   It sounds terrific with Luna Extensions.  

Check out the demo that comes with it.   UA recently added a feature allowing you to bypass all extensions or inserts, or both extensions and inserts simultaneously so you can hear exactly what is being added.     You can demo all software for 30-days including the Luna extensions so worth checking out.

Regards

• Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, markno999 said:

Upper right hand corner, hit Feedback button to send feature requests.

That's great if I could get into the app but I can't since it keeps failing on VST scans. 😉 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Bapu said:

That's great if I could get into the app but I can't since it keeps failing on VST scans. 😉 

Good luck, hopefully you get it working before the long weekend.

3 minutes ago, cclarry said:

There was a 1.6.,0 update this morning...just FYI

2 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Just checked UA Connect there was an update availble for me for LUNA (v 1.6.0)

Installed!

Still failing on VST scans but it seems to not be the same plug each time as best as I can tell.

3 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Just checked UA Connect there was an update availble for me for LUNA (v 1.6.0)

That was reported here earlier today....ya missed it!

• Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, Release said:

Tommy, multi outs aren’t implemented yet.  It’s way up on their requested list, along with hardware inserts, but not yet.

With all the problems that folks are having with launching Luna, I think I'll wait a while before the investment.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

9 minutes ago, jesse g said:

With all the problems that folks are having with launching Luna, I think I'll wait a while before the investment.

Agreed. Imm wait until it's out of Beta before I plunge ahead. 

3 hours ago, Bapu said:

I restarted the computer after install. I fired up LUNA and the splash screen came up for about 5 seconds and went away. No LUNA. I set desktop shortcut to Run As Administrator. LUNA splash screen came up and now VST scan is happening veeeeery slowly for just over 20 minutes now. Hmmmmmmm.

you need more UAD plugins it would go quicker.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Mr No Name said:

you need more UAD plugins it would go quicker.

I own them all. And of course......

Installed!

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found the culprit for the scan fail. The old SPL DeVerb (not SPL DeVerb Plus) from PA and something call Vocal Reverb. These were both in the VST3 folder. I moved them to an isolated area for now.

• Like 1

Just now, Bapu said:

I found the culprit for the scan fail. The old SPL DeVerb (not SPL DeVerb Plus) from PA and something call Vocal Reverb. These were both in the VST3 folder. I moved them to an isolated area for now.

Success! I have a LUNA take off now.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Soundwise said:

I got LUNA in my Windows. Not over the moon, though. 

Since I own every UAD plugin and instrument as well as 28 Unison channels on my Apollo ecosystem, LUNA could possibly be my go to for live recording (mainly drums).

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Technostica said:

Why do they require ilok for a free DAW, what's their upsell here?

From their FAQ

"While an iLok.com account is required, LUNA is authorized to your computer. No need to be online or buy a dongle to get started. Don’t worry, if you don’t have an ilok account, we’ll create one for you during the signup process. LUNA Extensions and UAD Plug-Ins are authorized using iLok Cloud or iLok USB."

• Like 2