LUNA (free) for Windows

jackson white

Posted (edited)

I am afraid to try Luna, I've heard so many good things about it, but I think it may become a money trap.   They give it to you for free, then they sucker you into buying it's enhanced plugin suite at a steep discount, then next WHAM, you're moved over to a subscription plan.   🙃

Edited by jesse g
  • Great Idea 1

I've been playing around with it a bit and I like it. I'm sort of used to the layout as it's similar to the UAD console. The MIDI implementation is not very elegant but it's fun to track audio. If you have an newer Apollo (I have an old firewire Apollo that won't integrate with Luna as it's Thunderbolt only) it's a pretty seamless ecosystem to work in, I would think. I could see me using this more if I had a Thunderbolt Apollo and was tracking bigger live projects than most of my clients are recording.

Lots of stuff I haven't figured out how to do yet, like multi-outs for VSTIs but I find it easier to get around in than MixBus, which I keep upgrading and never use.

This will not replace CbB/Sonar as my main DAW. After all the years with it it's all now just muscle memory and I can't imagine working without it. But Luna is kinda fun.

• Like 2

Anyone got it to work with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen interface?

I can choose it as the interface in the hardware tab, but there is nothing in the i/o settings tab and playback is still disabled. If I click on the Asio Control Panel Show button nothing happens.

I have not been able to get LUNA to launch here.
The splash screen comes up and it vanishes.

Anyone else have any startup issues?
The problem is you cannot bypass plugin scanning and there is not an indication of which plugin might be borking the startup. Also, UA help keeps telling me to remove AU plugins :^)!!!

3 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

The problem is you cannot bypass plugin scanning and there is not an indication of which plugin might be borking the startup. Also, UA help keeps telling me to remove AU plugins :^)!!!

Are you running as Administrator?

9 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

Did you restart after installing?  I had to restart to get it to do the plugin scan because it kept giving me an error message.  After system restart everything was smooth...

I restarted the computer after install. I fired up LUNA and the splash screen came up for about 5 seconds and went away. No LUNA. I set desktop shortcut to Run As Administrator. LUNA splash screen came up and now VST scan is happening veeeeery slowly for just over 20 minutes now. Hmmmmmmm.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bapu said:

I restarted the computer after install. I fired up LUNA and the splash screen came up for about 5 seconds and went away. No LUNA. I set desktop shortcut to Run As Administrator. LUNA splash screen came up and now VST scan is happening veeeeery slowly for just over 20 minutes now. Hmmmmmmm.

The initial VST scan took forever but after it opens in about 10 seconds.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think I'm going to get the Pro extensions.  I'm sort of bummed because I own 50% of the plugins, but
that doesn't give me the Luna Extensions, and buying them individually would be ridiculously priced...
so I'll opt to buy at Plugin Boutique because of the rewards that effectively reduce the price.   Every place
is the same price - $199, but only PB and AD give "rewards" and PB is lower with tokens and rewards

Edited by cclarry
  • Great Idea 1

I have to keep restarting as it just goes away on various VSTs but it's so fast that like Simeon I can't tell what it's failing on.

Has anyone found any log files somewhere to be researched?

Is there a beta site to report issues and send feature requests to?

9 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I think I'm going to get the Pro extensions.  I'm sort of bummed because I own 50% of the plugins, but
that doesn't give me the Luna Extensions, and buying them individually would be ridiculously priced...
so I'll opt to buy at Plugin Boutique because of the rewards that effectively reduce the price.   Every place
is the same price - $199, but only PB and AD give "rewards" and PB is lower with tokens and rewards

Isn't it cheaper to just use S1 with Mix Engine FX? Sonar's PC is also very capable. And then there is Harrison Mixbus with their take on analog-ish summing.

Posted (edited)

I've tried to download Luna five times now, but keep getting 'software installation issue' messages.

Windows 11, i5, 64gig Ram. I'm sure my computer meets the criteria, so I don't know why that's happening.

Edited by Stephen Power

7 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

Isn't it cheaper to just use S1 with Mix Engine FX? Sonar's PC is also very capable. And then there is Harrison Mixbus with their take on analog-ish summing.

I already have all of those..:P

• Great Idea 1

40 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I have to keep restarting as it just goes away on various VSTs but it's so fast that like Simeon I can't tell what it's failing on.

Has anyone found any log files somewhere to be researched?

Is there a beta site to report issues and send feature requests to?

Upper right hand corner, hit Feedback button to send feature requests.

• Great Idea 1