LUNA (free) for Windows

jackson white

2 hours ago, Greg said:

I had an issue trying to install the new console a few weeks ago and got around it by running UA Connect as an administrator FWIW. 

No luck here. No biggie, I've got 3 DAWS. I'll look into it again another time.

2 hours ago, Clint Martin said:

No luck here. No biggie, I've got 3 DAWS. I'll look into it again another time.

FYI: I *always* run installers as admin and when I set my shortcuts for an app I always set them as run as administrator. That approach has yet to fail me unless I (occasionally) forget the 2nd step for the shortcut and it's needed.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Bapu said:

FYI: I *always* run installers as admin and when I set my shortcuts for an app I always set them as run as administrator. That approach has yet to fail me unless I (occasionally) forget the 2nd step for the shortcut and it's needed.

There's a reason to run an installer as admin - it means it can modify 'sensitive' parts of the system, e.g. system directories, the registry, etc.

Typically, running an app as admin isn't necessary (though there are exceptions, as we've seen here). What's not immediately obvious is that doing so will also disable drag-and-drop from other applications, e.g. dragging a sound file from Windows Explorer into your DAW.

2 hours ago, antler said:

There's a reason to run an installer as admin - it means it can modify 'sensitive' parts of the system, e.g. system directories, the registry, etc.

this raises the question - why aren't all installers automatically run as admin? follow up question, what are they putting in installers and apps that need admin rights - -can't they follow the voluminous "best practices" guides from ms? finally, who on earth isn't admin on their own pc (apart from children)?

/asyouwere

52 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

why aren't all installers automatically run as admin?

Because only an admin can grant admin access. Otherwise, there's no point of having that level of control if anything can run itself as a superuser. To be fair though, the ones that need it usually trigger the UAC dialogue window that asks you whether you want to allow the program to make changes to your system.

As a side note, not all installers need admin access. Some installers (e.g. for Visual Studio Code) install into a user's documents folder, meaning no admin access is required.

56 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

what are they putting in installers and apps that need admin rights

For hardware, this will generally be device drivers.

For software/plugins, it will vary. But my guess is they're typically copying files into directories like C:\Program Files - especially true for VST3 where the specification states that all plugins must be in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 folder. Another thing is copy protection schemes like iLok (and the now discontinued eLicenser) that install system-level drivers onto your computer.

In either case, the installer will usually also add an uninstaller and references to it so it can be launched when you go to the Add/remove Programs dialogue in Windows. In some cases, they may also copy a pdf manual into somewhere like C:\Program Files.

1 hour ago, pwal³ said:

who on earth isn't admin on their own pc

I'm assuming you mean in a home environment; the corporate world is a bit different, though I can't speak for the music industry. Most people are admin of their own PC. But I personally don't like to run things as admin if I don't have to because I like the peace-of-mind that I can't accidentally make changes to my system. Once installed, I assume my DAW (or any other piece of software) won't e.g. start randomly creating/moving/deleting files from my Windows directory. This behaviour example is a little contrived, but the point is that it can't even if it wanted to when it hasn't been run as a superuser.

• Like 1

I'll also add that, rather confusingly, running software under an admin account is not the same as running it as an admin in Windows. The later gives the software elevated privileges to make any system-wide modification it wants; the former means you can grant those permission requests (and without entering a password when doing so).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, antler said:

As a side note, not all installers need admin access. Some installers (e.g. for Visual Studio Code) install into a user's documents folder, meaning no admin access is required.

This is the future, finally

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bapu said:

I installed connect as admin, and then opened as admin. Still hangs at the same place as before. No Luna for me.

Capture.JPG

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Clint Martin said:

I installed connect as admin, and then opened as admin. Still hangs at the same place as before. No Luna for me.

Capture.JPG

Assuming you're using Windows, check for "C:\Program Files\LUNA\LUNA.exe"

Possibly the installer hung after the installation was completed.

Edited by TheSteven

Posted (edited)

Here is an update on my LUNA problems/experience so far.

My Apollo ecosystem gets lost from time to time when Starting up LUNA. Require computer reboot.

Edited by Bapu

9 hours ago, Bapu said:

Here is an update on my LUNA problems/experience so far.

My Apollo ecosystem gets lost from time to time when Starting up LUNA. Require computer reboot.

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

Using LUNA in Windows

Includes PDF manual link

Known issues at the bottom

Aha!
"Using the Apollo Thunderbolt driver as an ASIO playback/recording device in a DAW and as the WDM system audio device simultaneously can cause severe audio integrity issues. This is not a LUNA-specific issue. If using Apollo Thunderbolt for ASIO playback/recording in a DAW, use a different audio device for WDM system audio."

This is what I have been doing for years with Studio One on Win 10 and it's not caused me any known issues.

However, now with LUNA I may try setting the system AUDIO to another WDM device for system audio.

LUNA seemed to work fine yesterday.  Today it's slower than molasses loading and responding to any mouse action.  Won't even create a new track.

Not sure if it's a JAVA issue but other JAVA based apps load up after a while and have to be closed and reopened on  my system. :S  Maybe it needs more caffeine?! 9_9

• Haha 1

According to the manual many views are zoomable.

After a couple reboots (and some redbull) LUNA is working fine and much faster now.

3rd party plugin performance is a crap shoot, tho.  Even using their Shape alongside RAVEL piano DEMO has issues.  Only the 1st one loaded will work.

i've been waiting for this day ever since i've seen it. having it free was the only thing that could top that.

already installed, made my first project in it, already sent them the first few dozen suggestions 😄.

biggest ones: multi-out instruments, mono inputs for stereo tracks, an additional insert section before the tape/pre extension stage - for amp sims, rooms, different pres when you don't want the api, etc., and (my favorite 🤪) option for control bar at the bottom.

• Like 3