LUNA (free) for Windows

jackson white

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

Anyone buy the Pro extensions directly from UAD?  I'd like to know how much the voucher
is before I make a decision

I did a few months ago.  The voucher was $25.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

Since I own every UAD plugin and instrument as well as 28 Unison channels on my Apollo ecosystem, LUNA could possibly be my go to for live recording (mainly drums).

Does it really matter which DAW you use for recording?

PS 10+ years ago it was popular to discuss which DAW sounds best; people would null-test multitracks summed in various DAWs, trying to prove that they made the best choice by joining a certain camp. Hope, we've not come full circle and are not back to square one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

From their FAQ

"While an iLok.com account is required, LUNA is authorized to your computer. No need to be online or buy a dongle to get started. Don’t worry, if you don’t have an ilok account, we’ll create one for you during the signup process. LUNA Extensions and UAD Plug-Ins are authorized using iLok Cloud or iLok USB."

Thanks. That must include the Spitfire bundle that I have heard about. I just looked and that is Native only, so I am wondering what that gives you that using the regular SA stuff doesn't?
I do own a bunch of their Native Plugins that came free with a £100 AI, but not up on their platform.

Installed and runs fine here on Windows 10, but... rejected 50 plugins so I only have access to 1/2.  The ones I use most were among the rejected.  That, and the project creation/saving is quite convoluted (non-standard) and MIDI isn't up to par.  Looks like it's Java based with a weird file structure.

Is this a new beta or has it been such since 2020?

17 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Installed and runs fine here on Windows 10, but... rejected 50 plugins so I only have access to 1/2.  The ones I use most were among the rejected.  That, and the project creation/saving is quite convoluted (non-standard) and MIDI isn't up to par.  Looks like it's Java based with a weird file structure.

Is this a new beta or has it been such since 2020?

Windows is Beta....Mac has been released since 2020

• Thanks 1

Scanned and loaded without crashing after I manually resolved/OK'd a bunch of missing authorization errors from demo products I thought I had fully uninstalled. So far no major hiccups. 

It loaded up with my API console and summing already selected. Not too shabby. I look forward to actually giving it a go soon. Not going to start the maiden voyage with VSTi and need to find the time to track guitar. 

16 hours ago, Soundwise said:

Does it really matter which DAW you use for recording?

For the way I record drums using the Apollo ecosystem, yeah, it just might.

In Studio One it takes bouncing between the SO Console and the UAD Console quite a bit to get the levels set. LUNA   does away with the use of the independent UAD Console since it's integrated. One stop shopping and all that rot.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

21 hours ago, Streetz Myestro said:

I'm also having the problem with it constantly closing while scanning plugins. I've been removing my VST3 plugins where I see it stopping at, but this is ridiculous. I see they said this is a known issue.  

I only lost 2 VST3 (move them to an isolated place), one obsolete SPL DeVerb plug from PA and a reverb I don't think I've ever used (probably a freebie) called vocalreverb. 

The only way I got it to open was to rename my vst3 folder. I started removing the ones that it was stopping on, but it just kept doing it every few plugins. I guess I'll have to wait for them to do something about it. Or maybe it'll just open up one day. lol

On 5/22/2024 at 9:56 AM, cclarry said:

Did you restart after installing?  I had to restart to get it to do the plugin scan because it kept giving me an error message.  After system restart everything was smooth...

I was able to get LUNA started by working around the VST3 folder.
The weird thing is I do not get any sort of notification when it runs into a problem plugin, it just VANISHES!

It freezes when it tries scanning my WAVEShell v14 ;^)

More to come, I hope they can provide more reliable indicators of what is failing as troubleshooting things like this make a demand of that precious time in a bottle. We shall see!

Joyfully!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

I was able to get LUNA started by working around the VST3 folder.
The weird thing is I do not get any sort of notification when it runs into a problem plugin, it just VANISHES!

It freezes when it tries scanning my WAVEShell v14 ;^)

More to come, I hope they can provide more reliable indicators of what is failing as troubleshooting things like this make a demand of that precious time in a bottle. We shall see!

Joyfully!

After restart I had zero issues.  Fully scanned and then started.  I've been "test mixing" in it...it's a lot of fun,
and being Beta, I'm surprised that it's been extremely stable for me and my 10 zillion plugins (still not as many as Bapu)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Scanned and loaded without crashing after I manually resolved/OK'd a bunch of missing authorization errors from demo products I thought I had fully uninstalled. So far no major hiccups. 

It loaded up with my API console and summing already selected. Not too shabby. I look forward to actually giving it a go soon. Not going to start the maiden voyage with VSTi and need to find the time to track guitar. 

Do you own the extra or owning neve and api stuff will unlok those features in Luna

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Zo said:

Do you own the extra or owning neve and api stuff will unlok those features in Luna

I own the API summing Luna add-on that is required for that to work. It is an extra product/fee. That said, I also own the API channel strip and Studer tape in native only and those Luna extensions work out the gate based on me just owning the native versions.

I believe you can get a free trial of the Neve summing when trying out Luna, but I haven't explored that yet.

Edited by Anxiousmofo
  • Like 1

Wow, I didn't expect they would release windows version.

It doesn't support vst2 apparently but vst wrapper like Element by kush view might help if I ever wanted to use vst 2.

I bought uad 49 plugin bundle last year which included all the plugins at that time.

I assume new plugins are not added automatically so I need to buy new ones to use if they release them but it already covers what I need.

Luna can be a great DAW for recording and mixing, I guess. So for production I can use other DAW and can mix on Luna.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1