Posted (edited)

LUNA    Free

• Full unlimited version of LUNA
  • Oxide Tape Extension
  • Shape Toolkit Instrument
  • ARP Arpeggiator
  • 30-day trial of LUNA Pro Bundle
  • 30-day trial of Neve Summing

FAQ    Can I run LUNA on a Windows machine?

Yes! LUNA is now available for windows as part of an Open Beta program. Anyone can participate, just click the link on this page to sign up for LUNA. Please read the Open Beta FAQ to learn about Windows system requirements and the beta process.

hmm ...

Edited by jackson white
highlighting "Open Beta"
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Great Idea 1

Just now, Mr No Name said:

" Only plug ins that can be used in the DAW must be UAD"

Well it's currently scanning ALL my plugins...so I don't know why it would do that if it could only run UAD Plugins

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Well it's currently scanning ALL my plugins...so I don't know why it would do that if it could only run UAD Plugins

It needs to know which plugins to delete  ...  resistance is futile!

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 3

Nice. Despite being Windows only, I bought the API summing for Luna with a credit I had a few months back, because the credit was about to expire and I owned all the native stuff already.  I was betting on Luna for Windows releasing this year.  Hopefully my summing investment will work, too.

• Great Idea 2

23 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

Analogue-ish summing is cool, but can it really compete with other DAWs?

Haven't used it but I'm not sure I really understand the whole compete with other DAWs concept.  

Many people only need a glorified tape recorder that has the ability to record audio tracks and VSTis and add VST based effects to those tracks and the ability to do the most basic of editing on those tracks (volume automation,  MIDI note editing and dynamics).  

Advanced arrangement and key change tools (ala Studio One) are a more advanced feature set - and certainly the minority need them.

Once you enter the "free" class - basic functionality and support for 3rd party addons is all that is needed to be competitive with a good workflow and UI.  I've used Cakewalk / Sonar for decades now and don't need 80% of what it is theoretically capable of.

I'll be interested if Bandlab comes out with Sonar at a price point that doesn't make sense for me.  Otherwise would love to stick with it.

• Like 1

Ok...first impressions using one of the Artist downloads..."Tracks of My Tears" I have to say I like it...
need more evaluation time but initial impressions are good!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Three crashes for me so far, one at first run and two while playing the demo project. Can't say I am too impressed. Interface looks okay. It does start up fast. 

Did you restart before running it?  I had to restart to get it to behave properly

Frankly, I am antipathetic to UA! First, because their installation is so weird even their plugins are iLok authorized and second, because they start processes to do updates when you are using their plugins (I did not find out how to avoid this)!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Did you restart before running it?  I had to restart to get it to behave properly

Nah. I was lazy. It did start fine after I reran it. Maybe a reboot would bring more stability.

• Great Idea 1

30 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Many people only need a glorified tape recorder

That's how it starts. Then they want a little more, then they start craving other things, available in other products.

But you're right, horses for courses.